IGNORED

Forza Horizon 2

gospvg

I have just been reading back over this topic... Amazing how much passion this stirred up and how many Xbox Ones this game sold!

Having played it again last night its still a fantastic game... love the locations... some great driving roads on this and the lovely coastal areas to drive along with the sun blasting through the window, the weather effects etc.

What a great time to release it on the run up to FH4. Really looking forward to 4. IMHO the Horizon series are simply the best arcade racing games ever made - they fold so many elements I enjoy about drivers into one package. So glad the next one is based in the UK too... and around the area I live in. It's going to be something special.

Still not sure whether to get this via game pass or just buy outright. Guessing on Game Pass I can play for 3 months at say £24 and then pick a phyisal copy up at some point after that (it will probably be at a lower price by that point). Also get to play the PC version this route and some other games on Games Pass (not yet played Sea Of Theives for example). How is everyone else getting this? Buying outright or GP?

Roll on October  this is going to be a great game to play over winter.

Now back to FH2 for a while.... Just noticed that I have nearly 7million credits amassed! Think it's time to expand my car collection out a bit!!! :D

On 02/08/2018 at 12:22, MattyP said:

How is everyone else getting this? Buying outright or GP?

I'm putting my eggs in the GP basket for now - in fact aiming to more or less entirely stop buying new games after Divinity 2 hits on 31 August..  I'm more and more (financially and time wise) invested in board gaming at present.  

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Worth pointing out that not only is this currently free in Games With Gold, but also that Deals with Gold currently have Storm Island and the Car Pass for a couple of quid this week.

Picked up Storm Island for £4.  The complete DLC car packs etc is about £14 I think, but car packs don't really interest me, so I'm not bothering.

Have they fixed online yet..?

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I'm putting my eggs in the GP basket for now - in fact aiming to more or less entirely stop buying new games after Divinity 2 hits on 31 August..  I'm more and more (financially and time wise) invested in board gaming at present.  

I'm wondering if I should do the same.  I'm late to the Bone party, and generally buy everything as a physical release, and don't really want to get into the habit of buying expensive new release titles for it, so have only bought... well, Forzas basically...  There isn't all that much that interests me on the Bone. GP seems to be rather good value for someone like me who can then dip in and out of a few decent older items, and who will almost certainly end up with FH4 and Crackdown 2.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Picked up Storm Island for £4.  The complete DLC car packs etc is about £14 I think, but car packs don't really interest me, so I'm not bothering.

Have they fixed online yet..?

I'm wondering if I should do the same.  I'm late to the Bone party, and generally buy everything as a physical release, and don't really want to get into the habit of buying expensive new release titles for it, so have only bought... well, Forzas basically...  There isn't all that much that interests me on the Bone. GP seems to be rather good value for someone like me who can then dip in and out of a few decent older items, and who will almost certainly end up with FH4 and Crackdown 2.

Most of the online stuff worked the other day when I tried it... however the vinyls etc didn't seem to work so guessing they are still working on elements of it. Will have another quick look at some point.

Think I'll be subbing to GP come October... low barrier of entry to play FH4 :) (and Crackdown 3 for that matter). Brave move by MS releasing new exclusive titles to the service but great for the gamers... I expect the new games will take a while to download though as the servers will be hammered on release day and you can't pre-load I don't think with GP games.

• 2 weeks later...

https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_8_17_18

A heads up for the Forza community: Forza Horizon 2 will reach “end of life” status on September 30. That means that the game and its associated DLC will no longer be available for purchase. After September 30, players who own Forza Horizon 2 will still able to download and play the game and its associated content as normal. However, Forza Horizon 2 and its DLC will no longer be for sale. Forza Horizon 2 is currently available as part of August Games With Gold so, if you haven’t played it already, now is a great time to grab it.

It's sad to see the Horizon games removed from the XBL store but with music and car licenses it's inevitable. 

10 hours ago, ryodi said:

https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_8_17_18

It's sad to see the Horizon games removed from the XBL store but with music and car licenses it's inevitable. 

Wait a minute. A good while back, in the BC thread, I was told that licensing isn't an impediment to games being made BC and it's just a case of timing and publishers getting on board. Yet here's a current gen first party game being delisted due to licensing.

:sherlock:

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Wait a minute. A good while back, in the BC thread, I was told that licensing isn't an impediment to games being made BC and it's just a case of timing and publishers getting on board. Yet here's a current gen first party game being delisted due to licensing.

:sherlock:

There being a difference between whether you can buy something, and whether you can play something.

Four years seems like a really short time for a licensing agreement - it’s not even the lifespan of the console it was released on. It seems a shame for a game that’s had so much effort and love put into it to essentially become obsolete after only four years. There are driving games with loads of licensed cars and music that are still going after nearly a decade. 

14 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The first Forza Horizon is delisted, but is backwards compatible and X enhanced.

12 hours ago, footle said:

There being a difference between whether you can buy something, and whether you can play something.

Forza Horizon was made backward compatible before it was delisted (and X enhanced afterwards). While you can of course play the game if you have a copy, have there been any games added to BC after they were delisted? The point being that, if not, it's not quite as simple as everything eventually becoming available on BC given enough time (and licensing not being an issue) . Otherwise we'd have games like PGR, Blur and JSRF by now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Been playing a lot of this recently as I want to play through and finish Horizon 2, 3 & 4 before starting 5. I’ve been playing this on and off for the past 3 years and currently at 60 hours play time and I have to say that trying to finish all 168 championships is really becoming a slog. I’m at around 85 finished and there’s just not enough variation in the races and having to drive to each location between championships is a major pain in the arse, with some taking almost 10 minutes. I love this game but the amount of padding to stretch it out is frustrating. Did they change this in later games or is it the same thing in all of them?

They changed it.  The road trip mechanic disappears although 3 and 5 do invite you unlock outposts that way.  Also I distinctly remember 3 having only 64odd championships and 4-5 drop the concept of championships outside the rolling seasonal ones and are single races.

In return both have considerably more "Stories", which is a concept you haven't seen yet but as a random example in 4 there's a gaming youtuber that tries to get you to recreate classic games (including a lovely use of Edinburgh to nod to Project Gotham) and someone setting up a speed taxi service.  5 goes further by basing the plot around these with expeditions to uncover locations for new outposts and a multi part story of restoring and testing an old VW Beetle.