Forza Horizon 2

gospvg

Music is default for this challenge.

This fucking game, man.

Thought I would quote this for people maybe checking out a Bone for this game after certain recent events. This is what is meant by personality in a racing game, a mission in a Ferarri F40 along a coastal highway where you have to OUTRUN the sun.

On the higher difficulties, the drivatars were far less annoying and a real joy to race against on Forza 5. On Horizon 2, I'm not entirely convinced that you're racing drivatars during the actual races, but when you're just cruising around you can clear see your mates' cars doing some blatantly human-AI shit like random donuts in a field, or trying to park their car up a tree :wub:

Likewise, I find it hard to I imagine race competitors have been based on drivatars; they are simply too well mannered, but the jostling which goes on when driving to the next town is more like the real thing, and increasingly you do see folk simply head directly cross country to the destination point. An odd thing is that if there is a high level challenger on the map they tend to follow you pretty closely wherever you go, middle of a field, run down industrial park, whenever. Apart from the odd concrete tree, metal and stone structures, you can pretty well drive anywhere on the map and get some decent skill combos along the way. Very satisfying to keep levelling up that way too.

Also, I love barn finds.

In fact there is very little indeed to dislike with this, for me they have nailed the PGR (street races), Dirt (rallies, some of which in the rain are absolutely crazy), and TDU vibes on top of the rock solid Forza base handling /customisation.

In fact there is very little indeed to dislike with this, for me they have nailed the PGR (street races), Dirt (rallies, some of which in the rain are absolutely crazy), and TDU vibes on top of the rock solid Forza base handling /customisation.

I've found a little bit of a Sega Rally vibe as well.

I finished the 360 version, well, won the finale. It's very good buy I don't like the structure of it. The original encouraged you to use different cars in races plus the 'boss' battles were often very cool.

It was easy too. Hard difficult with all assists off from the first race.

Still excited to play it on the One though.

Just got all excited to see the F Type R Coupe in the latest DLC, get the car for free, hop in... LEFT HAND GODDAMN DRIVE.

efsC8Oq.gif

Some of the Japanese cars, and some of the British cars are the goddamn American versions.

This irked me in Forza Horizon, and in Forza Motorsport 5, and it's bloody irksome in this too.

Tell me about it, still stoked that the car I own (Mazda RX-8) is in FH2, but I can't drive it with "In Car " view as the wheel is on the wrong side and it's confusing as you like, looking forward to getting this for the One though, have had a hack through the 360 version but have stopped playing as I don't want to spoil it for the bone version.

Thought I would quote this for people maybe checking out a Bone for this game after certain recent events. This is what is meant by personality in a racing game, a mission in a Ferarri F40 along a coastal highway where you have to OUTRUN the sun.

Errr is that your definition of personality in a game? Having a race with a pun as a name? :huh:

No, more the fact that it is paying homage to one of the greatest racing series' It's not the pun, it is the whole set up of the event. An event that is one of many fun things to do that isn't straight up racing. The love of the genre by the team clearly shines through. Although I wonder if this event was created by Sumo for the 360 version and then Playground nabbed it.

It was a genuine question, not sarcasm (to the neggers).

Thanks travolta for the explanation. I thought people meant that personality was more to do with the dudebro stuff and in-game characters rather than paying homage to something.

So if it would have a Cannonball Run type event, basically? Or a car chase Bullit style?

Now, I'm not a racing aficionado in any sense of the word, but, to me, that doesn't look any different to what Driveclub offers, except having civilian cars on the road and the music turned on (cool tune, though; reminded me of one of the tunes off the Drive soundtrack). Don't get me wrong, it's certainly a lovely looking game (the lighting certainly seems to be awesome and on par with what I've seen in Driveclub, at least to my ignorant eyes), but Driveclub has point to point races, too, so what is it I'm missing specifically that gives this game more personality? Bear in mind this is me asking, the person who can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, doesn't really care about resolution being 1080 or 900 and has zero issue with the Xbox One as a console other than 'I don't want one', and seems to be the only person who doesn't think Driveclub is the best looking game ever made, so I'm not trolling or anything - I'm just genuinely interested as the comments and criticisms about Driveclub having no personality confuse me!

Some great screenshots in here, btw. That one with the balloons is desktop wallpaper worthy!

Edit: Just seen your post about it being a homage to Outrun.

Edit 2:

The replay/photo mode is very addictive, not helped by the Pokemon snap mini game built in to the game.

15472880322_d2104694e3_o.jpg

Now I understand why everyone was pissed at the photo mode not being in DC...that looks awesome.

Pretty much yeah. There's obviously the show piece events where you are racing a train or the Italian aerobatic display team but it also has bucket list events. Whilst some of these are very simple like getting up to a certain speed by a certain point, others are really interesting like the aforementioned Outrun the Sun. Two of my favourites have been with the Bowler and Lancia Delta. The Bowler challenge has you racing across the open fields, jumping across roads and dodging the odd tree while the Delta challenge is a Denis Nedry simulator. You start at the top of the hill and need to weave through a forest in the dark off road. It would have been better if you were racing to the docks and you were in a jeep but we can't have everything.

So close

15415518405_2f732cb832_h.jpg

Here's for user created challenges in an update

EDIT -

Now I understand why everyone was pissed at the photo mode not being in DC...that looks awesome.

You think that looks awesome, go back to page 20 and see some of the stuff MDY was posting. Absolutely stunning. Plus it is actually a mini-game within Horizon to take a picture of every single car; almost every picture I've posted in here is from me trying to collect them all.

Now, I'm not a racing aficionado in any sense of the word, but, to me, that doesn't look any different to what Driveclub offers, except having civilian cars on the road and the music turned on (cool tune, though; reminded me of one of the tunes off the Drive soundtrack). Don't get me wrong, it's certainly a lovely looking game (the lighting certainly seems to be awesome and on par with what I've seen in Driveclub, at least to my ignorant eyes), but Driveclub has point to point races, too, so what is it I'm missing specifically that gives this game more personality? Bear in mind this is me asking, the person who can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, doesn't really care about resolution being 1080 or 900 and has zero issue with the Xbox One as a console other than 'I don't want one', and seems to be the only person who doesn't think Driveclub is the best looking game ever made, so I'm not trolling or anything - I'm just genuinely interested as the comments and criticisms about Driveclub having no personality confuse me!

Some great screenshots in here, btw. That one with the balloons is desktop wallpaper worthy!

Edit: Just seen your post about it being a homage to Outrun.

Edit 2:

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but you know this is an open-world game, right? Driveclub's (admittedly amazing) scenery is basically a glorified sky-box, whereas this takes place in one giant environment. Pretty much everywhere you can see in the various photos people have posted are actual locations you can drive up to, discover hidden cars, random bucket list challenges, collectibles, shortcuts, etc. It's not just a collection of tracks and races, and the racing itself varies wildly from your standard, locked off, three laps in an urban town to insane night-time dashes through forests in rally cars and chases against steam trains across the French/Italian border, and they're all equally polished.

Speaking of which, here's my banged up rally car on a road trip last night.

Horizon2.jpg

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but you know this is an open-world game, right? Driveclub's (admittedly amazing) scenery is basically a glorified sky-box, whereas this takes place in one giant environment. Pretty much everywhere you can see in the photos people have posted are actual e places you can drive up to, discover hidden cars, random bucket list challenges, collectibles, shortcuts, etc. It's not just a collection of tracks and races, and the racing itself varies wildly from your standard, locked off, three laps in an urban town to insane night-time dashes through forests in rally cars and chases against steam trains across the French/Italian border, and they're all equally polished.

Speaking of which, here's my banged up rally car on a road trip last night.

Horizon2.jpg

No, I knew this was open world compared to DC's more linear approach, but it's this whole 'personality' thing that has me baffled. This does look amazing, I have to say. MDY's screens on page 20 (thanks to SweatyTravolta for the heads up) are stunning!

It was a genuine question, not sarcasm (to the neggers).

Thanks travolta for the explanation. I thought people meant that personality was more to do with the dudebro stuff and in-game characters rather than paying homage to something.

So if it would have a Cannonball Run type event, basically? Or a car chase Bullit style?

What a baffling assumption. The personality of the game can be seen in everything - the sheer dedication to the cars and the way we want to drive them, the incredible amount of effort put into crafting a wide and varied paradise of roads, and the love letter sent to every racing experience this game has been inspired by and built on. How you got dudebro and puns from Travolta's original post I can't even comprehend, even taking into account that English isn't your first language!

I mean look at that video. Just look at it. Driving a gorgeous 80s Ferrari along a coastal road doesn't have to be a nod to Outrun to be cool, it can be as simple as capturing every petrolhead's dream road trip, which this game has the cars and the layout to offer in spades.

You daft fucker Meers :hug:

but it's this whole 'personality' thing that has me baffled.

I think for me it;s the combination of glorious weather, blue skies, rain, the different challenges presented in a fun way and the fact it doesn't take itself too seriously that gives it the "personality". Maybe personality is the wrong word. Variety of fun?

You won't notice it much as you're blistering along, but yes, there is definite higher level of detail and post processing in photo mode. That's always been the case with Forza.

The game looks absolutely incredible in motion regardless.

Maybe personality is the wrong word. Variety of fun?

Atmosphere, I think.

DOes the photo mode do some kind of post processing, or does the game genuinely look like that in motion, too?

Yeah the motion-blur and depth-of-field in some of those photos are generated based on the focus, shutter speed and aperture of the in-game camera, and there's no aliasing in the processed shot either. That's not to say those shots aren't representative of how the game actually looks (that lighting is just as every bit as atmospheric whilst playing), but obviously the in-game perspectives are a tad less dramatic.

What a baffling assumption. The personality of the game can be seen in everything - the sheer dedication to the cars and the way we want to drive them, the incredible amount of effort put into crafting a wide and varied paradise of roads, and the love letter sent to every racing experience this game has been inspired by and built on. How you got dudebro and puns from Travolta's original post I can't even comprehend, even taking into account that English isn't your first language!

I mean look at that video. Just look at it. Driving a gorgeous 80s Ferrari along a coastal road doesn't have to be a nod to Outrun to be cool, it can be as simple as capturing every petrolhead's dream road trip, which this game has the cars and the layout to offer in spades.

You daft fucker Meers :hug:

Hank, you get the context all wrong again. This is me coming into this thread over from the Driveclub one where people complain about when certain racing games have no 'personality'. Now here I am trying to figure out what people mean by that.

And I agree with you. I'm now wondering that the people who complain about such a thing have no personality themselves.

And my English is superior to yours, ya daft slag. :P

DOes the photo mode do some kind of post processing, or does the game genuinely look like that in motion, too?

Almost, like Sixbuttons said. There's some after effects filters added that can not yet run in real time. Forza games

Speaking of it being in motion, take that Dalvado's drivatar!

There is post processing going on but it doesn't look far off when you're actually running the game. It all depends on the time of day and how interesting the scenery is really. My clip for example is quite dull apart from the finish. The fact that it manages to look this good while being an open world sure is impressive.

Hank, you get the context all wrong again. This is me coming into this thread over from the Driveclub one where people complain about when certain racing games have no 'personality'. Now here I am trying to figure out what people mean by that.

It's pretty simple - the more brash/colourful/accessible your racing game is, the more apparent it's "personality" will be. This is why Outrun has bags of atmosphere and bags of personality that are instantly available to all comers (and if you dare say Outrun is a game of no skill I will brain you, play Heart Attack mode and try and triple A it, good luck). A game like Forza or GT or whatever don't have that personality immediately on show, you need to coax it out of the cars and the tracks to be fully rewarded.

Horizon sits neatly in the middle. It's heart and personality are already on display, it's up to you to coax the remainder of it out of the cars. And what you get out correlates to what you put in.

It's pretty simple - the more brash/colourful/accessible your racing game is, the more apparent it's "personality" will be. This is why Outrun has bags of atmosphere and bags of personality that are instantly available to all comers (and if you dare say Outrun is a game of no skill I will brain you, play Heart Attack mode and try and triple A it, good luck). A game like Forza or GT or whatever don't have that personality immediately on show, you need to coax it out of the cars and the tracks to be fully rewarded.

Horizon sits neatly in the middle. It's heart and personality are already on display, it's up to you to coax the remainder of it out of the cars.

It's its. Possessive = no apostrophe. :P

I know what you are saying now - atmosphere. And I agree with your post.

Apart from the contraction of it is. :P

It's its. Possessive = no apostrophe. :P

I know what you are saying now - atmosphere. And I agree with your post.

Apart from the contraction of it is. :P

Yes, yes, I know. I'm at work and trying not to get detected, you work shy broken leg bastard!

Some direct feed/capture card pics (again Neogaf)

ibbgyfLFDcL2wY.jpeg

That is SO Outrun I just can't even!