Forza Horizon 2

gospvg

what an awesome game this is, my first proper go just saw me lose nearly 3h, thought I was only on for a short bit

I know there are better and truer sims out there but nothing I've played comes close to this for fun and involvement, I love how the different styles of race and car come so thick and fast. Its a million miles away from the bored and staid career modes of track racers (like Forza 5) - interesting problem for MS, the offshoot is now a far better game than its parent.

if anybody is tempted by the Thrustmaster 458 Ferrari wheel (the more expensive one) its brilliant with this - I've maxed it out a bit with an upgraded wheel and pedal set but it compares very favourably to my (pricier) Fanatec CSRe set up - I'd say its definitely smoother with maybe a bit less nuance to the FFB. The upgraded thrustmaster pedals aren't as good as the Fanatec's though.

the wheel really brings to the fore the different handling of each vehicle on the different surfaces, and the weather. 4 wheel sliding a lambo around Cannes in the rain in one of the early events at night felt as good as a racer ever has to me.

interesting problem for MS, the offshoot is now a far better game than its parent.

What an utterly opinionated thing to say. Both titles attract different types of people (that's why they split the franchise up to begin with). You may not like Motorsport as much, but that doesn't mean Horizon is by default the 'better' game. Sorry for the snipe, but fucking hell what is this - primary school?

I apologise for having an opinion - didn't realise this was primary school where everybody gets a prize.

do we really still have to type IMHO before saying anything in racing threads so the oversensitive don't take offence ?

I know there are better and truer sims out there but nothing I've played comes close to this for fun and involvement, I love how the different styles of race and car come so thick and fast. Its a million miles away from the bored and staid career modes of track racers (like Forza 5) - interesting problem for MS, the offshoot is now a far better game than its parent.

They are different games though and complement each other quite nicely. Played Forza 5 and briefly the demo of FH2.

Sure F5 is a bit more sterile but it's supposed to be.... It's also 60fps which does make a difference to some (including me). Anyhow both are great games. And both are on the same platform. Win/Win really.

Also just picked up FH2 today.... Can't wait to get back home and get stuck in. Feels like a natural successor to PGR and the location it's set in is perfect. Think XBO is going to turn into to my console of choice for the foreseeable. More exited about playing FH2 than DriveClub on PS4 (and waited nearly a year for that!!!!). But then I have been a Forza fan since the original on XBox. :) Glad MS dropped all this mandatory kinect nonsense and the silly policies it announced on the XB One reveal. MS are now doing a fine job of rebuilding the XBox brand IMHO.

I prefer the FH2 and PGR type games to the "drier" Forza games... altho for me GT is the driest.

However sales tell us that until now Forza has outsold Horizon , any figures I can find show main forza series selling 4+ million for 2,3,4 (5 has done about 1.5 million estimated as it had done 1 million not long after launch). Forza Horizon 1 did just under 2 million... So the most popular would seem to be main Forza

We will see with FH2 though as install base is bigger so it might outsell Forza 5

EDIT - what I find slightly baffling is how GT outsells Forza generally... not sure why that is as they are similar in quality and obv install bases are similar too. Well it outsold GT6 but thats tail end of the gen.

Well he has a point. How is Horizon 2 being better than Motorsport a problem for MS? :)

here is my logic - Horizon is a lower sales offshoot of the main Forza brand, which in order to be financially viable requires the main game to do a lot of the physics engine and car model work. the last Forza wasn't very well received (paraphrasing, it was technically lovely but lots of people had issues with IAPs and lack of content and the overall vibe towards it that I picked up on was a bit negative but I fully accept some people love it)

if the main game suffers lower sales off the back of 5's reception, and the more 'popular' or 'better' (IMHO) game is the lower selling offshoot (which relies on the main game to actually exist) you've got a financial problem looming I'd say.

racers, more than most genres, have really suffered in recent years, so I really hope that MS sticks with both as I agree there is an audience for both, just hope its big enough to justify the huge expense that it must be to code these titles.

This is quite good really, isn't it?

I beat the first four races yesterday, then played for two hours tonight without entering any of the Horizon events. I just drove around a bit, did some bucket list events, did the race against the place, found two barn finds (Muira and 250 gto)... The days are just packed.

Couple of things though. The roads seem a little bit quiet to me, there isn't as much traffic as I would expect.

Starting races against the drivers cruising around is a pain, it seems quite tricky to "lock on"

At a couple of points, the driving line has unnecessary kinks in it, which the AI tries to follow

These are all easily patchable, but all these little things add up to a slightly unfinished feeling game and the nagging doubt that I should have picked the game up once everything was sorted.

Still loving it, like.

I think I may have overdosed on it over the weekend, starting to see little flaws that my mind is blowing up way more than relevent.

I am disappointed with both the structure and AI compared to the original Horizon though. Horizon 2 has this massive selection of championships that all filter onto the same routes and tracks just like FM, and are ultimately all you do bar the showcase events, if you're specifically out for the racing rather than any of the other content. Droppng those excellent "boss battles" is a huge loss.

This game does not offer the same challenge the original did either, on any difficulty level.

I'd like to say it's best for me to now take a break for a few days but I know I won't because drifting a Shelby Cobra around one of those coastal roads is more fun than living.

Oh, and is anyone else finding the scoring for near misses, drifts, et al a bit inconsistent? Like you'll be 6 foot away from a car and it'll count it as a near miss. Then you'll almost tip wing mirrors and it won't score?

And there's an annoying gap where, as it adds your score to your total, you can't start to build any more score.

Like I said, fantastic game, it's just missing the final layer of polish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk#t=183

That is from the video comparison at the top of the page and shows the Bone off roading, it is far from empty. In fact the time lapse section of that video shows off the differences the best. The 360 version, while great if you have no point of reference, is just flat and lifeless.

I think that and the lack of traffic is just something you're going to have to accept as a 360 owner or ya know £329 for a Bone with FH2 and Alien Isolation. At this point I'd probably say it was worth it just for the Bone version of FH2. It has its filthy talons in me so hard that I was even tempted to pick up another console to have at work so I can get a sneaky race in when it is quiet.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the head-to-head system in Forza Horizon 2, there doesn't appear to be any indication of what spec/class the car you're challenging is until you've already challenged them.

It only comes up with easy / medium / hard until the race starts (though I can't remember seeing any medium opponents, now I think about it) and there can be huge variation in what constitutes "hard". I've taken on a "hard" RUF with my stock Supra and edged a win, then gone up against a "hard" Hennessy Venom with the Supra tuned up, only to see it vanish into the distance, never to be seen again.

Might be a speed thing with the near miss. You need to be going above a certain speed.

Overall the skill system isn't as refined or as deep as the first game. It's purpose is to get you skill points to unlock perks which it does well during racing thanks to drafting bonuses. Once you unlock the skill based perks it seems less bothersome.

Buy a Ferrari Challenge Stradale and all these niggles become insignificant and a big stupid grin gets permaglued to your face.

Yeah, I've had a few now too. Can't say if it's the game or not as this is the only game I've played on Bone.

Have you updated the firmware on your controller(s)? I've not had disconnects at all apart from way back at launch once or twice. Go to system settings then devices & accessories and you'll find the option in there.

Hennessy Venom does 250mph.

The RUF is no slouch, but the difference in difficulty was vast. Similarly, some easy challenges have been nearly as difficult as some of the hard ones.

I feel like I'm properly slagging this game off here, but I honestly love it. It's fantastic despite all these little niggles. Niggles that I suspect will start to disappear over time.

Have you updated the firmware on your controller(s)? I've not had disconnects at all apart from way back at launch once or twice. Go to system settings then devices & accessories and you'll find the option in there.

My controllers are up to date but I'm getting

Issues, only with this game. Seems like playground are working on a fix.

I'll give you a niggle. The sublime trigger vibration from Forza 5 that offered so much information about the state of the car going into corners and under braking is completely absent in this game. It's a real shame they couldn't find a way to include it as it takes racing games to the next level while using a pad.

I've decided not to buy the 360 version, the XB1 version just looks so much better but I don't have an XB1 (yet). I've got the new Borderlands game arriving next week for the 360 which will probably be my last purchase.

Like some other gamers I wanted to only go with one console this generation so purchased the PS4 on release but games like Forza Horizon 2 are really testing my control.

Enjoy.

Yeah, I did that and it still lost connection after. I will say that in around 20+ hours of use, it's done it three times in total.

The RUF is no slouch, but the difference in difficulty was vast. Similarly, some easy challenges have been nearly as difficult as some of the hard ones.

I feel like I'm properly slagging this game off here, but I honestly love it. It's fantastic despite all these little niggles. Niggles that I suspect will start to disappear over time.

I think it's a genuine niggle in some ways. The rubber banding in challenges is all over the place, too. I challenged a pro opponent last night and he was in a car that totally outclassed mine, I hit a lot of cars/rocks during the challenge and when it came to the final stretch the AI let off the go pedal completely and let me cruise past.

Loving this but slightly muddled by the online options...

seems I can do a "free roam" where it matchmakes me with others and then we can meet up for events or soemthing?

I can also do an Event which matchmakes me and I get to do 4 races in a road trip style

Then there is the car meet which Ihavent touched yet

but in all it matchmakes me with randoms... is it possible to try and see if fellow club members (or people on my friends list) are in a group that I can join etc? or does that have to be done with party type thing. Its not very well explained