Forza Horizon 2

gospvg

@McSpeed, FH2 is a game that has me thinking about buying a bone BUT my main concern was the off-roading. FH1 was too restrictive with barriers everywhere but this just seems too far the other way.

If you're in a Supercar (even 4WD) it should be tough/slow/next to impossible to make progress across fields etc. if you're in a 4x4 offroad vehicle you should be able to gun it. Becomes a bit tactical about vehicles/routes in races then.

Missed opportunity and does sound a bit of a game breaker to me.

Still jealous of those who are going to play it though :)

Good point. Driving an actual offroad car (say the Bowler Nemesis) through the fields is hardly more effective than doing it in a supercar. This game could have definitely benefited from balancing in that respect - I would have loved Top Gear-style races of supercars on tarmac versus 4x4's on rough terrain!

If you're in a Supercar (even 4WD) it should be tough/slow/next to impossible to make progress across fields etc. if you're in a 4x4 offroad vehicle you should be able to gun it. Becomes a bit tactical about vehicles/routes in races then.

As someone who's looking for the most realistic experience in racing games (overpriced wheel, no assists, etc.), this has actually never bothered me in FH (there were bits of open field in there as well). I wouldn't traverse the open fields in FH2 as I wouldn't do that in real life either. Because this game is just the complete opposite of FM (not taking itself too seriously) it can get away with shenanigans like that, and gives you total freedom in what you choose. And that's what makes it great: "Because you can".

I still want a dedicated rally mode though.

@McSpeed, FH2 is a game that has me thinking about buying a bone BUT my main concern was the off-roading. FH1 was too restrictive with barriers everywhere but this just seems too far the other way.

Missed opportunity and does sound a bit of a game breaker to me.

Still jealous of those who are going to play it though :)

Let me make this very clear:

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care what you think is right or wrong

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care about what you believe is realistic

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care if it's not a proper off road game.

All Forza Horizon 2 cares about is being fun. That's it.

Let me make this very clear:

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care what you think is right or wrong

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care about what you believe is realistic

Forza Horizon 2 doesn't care if it's not a proper off road game.

All Forza Horizon 2 cares about is being fun. That's it.

Good point there, FH2 is definitely all about fun, and it certainly delivers. I just wish the actual driving and racing in the game would do a bit more justice to people seeking to enjoy cars the way they would be driven in a real-life Southern Europe, so to say.

It shouldn't have the same level of simulation Forza Motorsport offers, obviously. But I think they already struck the right balance in Forza Horizon 1 - even though off-roading possibilities were very limited there. Just dialling back the speeds when off-roading could have sufficed for FH2 to make it even better, I reckon.

Having this available on 360 has actually put me off buying it at all. I got a fair way through the original and occasionally go back to it, but was quite excited by a more expansive sequel. It may have been the first game that made me get another console. But then it was revealed that it was coming out on the 360 as well, so even though it wouldn't be as pretty it would still be the same game, and I might as well buy it for that.

But if I do get an Xbone in the future, I'd probably want to play this game on that.

But that would mean starting from scratch, which I don't have any inclination to do.

So I'm not getting it for either system. And that makes me sad.

Boozy kind of referenced this in the post below you, but I'd just like to make it explicit: They're completely different games, by different teams, using the same concept. You could actually buy and enjoy them both separately, but the Xbox One version is by all means the more expansive and fully featured next-gen sequel you were after, whereas the 360 version is more likely to be quite similar to the original.

You're far from the first person to mention this thought process and it's another instance of some relatively confusing marketing, along with how non-racing fans keep confusing the Horizon series with Forza Motorsport. They should have given the 360 version its own subtitle to differentiate it.

Boozy kind of referenced this in the post below you, but I'd just like to make it explicit: They're completely different games, by different teams, using the same concept. You could actually buy and enjoy them both separately, but the Xbox One version is by all means the more expansive and fully featured next-gen sequel you were after, whereas the 360 version is more likely to be quite similar to the original.

You're far from the first person to mention this thought process and it's another instance of some relatively confusing marketing, along with how non-racing fans keep confusing the Horizon series with Forza Motorsport. They should have given the 360 version its own subtitle to differentiate it.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems really stupid to have two different games with the same title!

If I do pick up 360 FH2 cheaply at some point, I doubt I want to return to the wasteland that is my 360 friends list, and re subscribe to Gold. How badly gimped are these games without Gold?

I doubt you'd miss anything unless you wanted to race against people - the time leaderboards and all that stuff still work without Gold I think.

If I do pick up 360 FH2 cheaply at some point, I doubt I want to return to the wasteland that is my 360 friends list, and re subscribe to Gold. How badly gimped are these games without Gold?

Horizon 1 is pretty decent content wise without Gold. The new one is supposed to have a ton more content so should be better. PG have already stated that the Bone version will have loads of post release support but claim there is months of content in the standalone version.

I never played it online, never been one for racing faceless randoms online, and nobody on my friends list was playing it.

I fully expect to be playing the 360 version next weekend ( if it's not up to the job I can always trade it in towards the Xbone version) and most certainly won't be venturing on Live for the occasion.

As someone who's looking for the most realistic experience in racing games (overpriced wheel, no assists, etc.), this has actually never bothered me in FH (there were bits of open field in there as well). I wouldn't traverse the open fields in FH2 as I wouldn't do that in real life either. Because this game is just the complete opposite of FM (not taking itself too seriously) it can get away with shenanigans like that, and gives you total freedom in what you choose. And that's what makes it great: "Because you can".

I still want a dedicated rally mode though.

Off road didn't play much part in FH, sounds to be a bigger part of FH2. Doubt you'll have a chance in some online races if you stick to the roads. In FH they went for a realistic but arcade focused handling model, I just think they could have applied the same realistic approach to off road. It sounds a bit like they've removed the barriers but didn't adjust much else.

Undoubtably it will be fun though.

e5762ea4-0e8e-469f-9414-fb195ee27134.jpg

A 360 screenshot escapes into the wild. It's actually been about since 8/9/14.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh2_x360

Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360 will take you on an epic road trip through the beautiful open roads of southern Europe. Forza fans will be able to travel the wide open roads to cities and towns like Nice, Sisteron, and more, exploring a massive world that is even bigger than the original Forza Horizon on Xbox 360. You can go where you want in this world driving across fields and finding your own path to victory. In fact, in terms of drivable play space, Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox 360 is more than twice as big as the original Forza Horizon, giving you the freedom to go where you want, when you want. And of course, you will be able to explore this amazing world with a full 24-hour day/night cycle, and all running at native 720p and a locked 30 frames per second, just as in the original Forza Horizon.

That freedom extends to the car list in Forza Horizon 2 as well. The game will ship with more than 200 cars nearly twice the cars that were in the original Forza Horizon. The roster of cars is once again an eclectic lineup, where supercars can go toe-to-toe with rally legends, American muscle cars, and more. In addition, the Xbox 360 version will include ten amazing barn find cars that players will encounter during their automotive journey in Forza Horizon 2.

In Forza Horizon 2, you will be traveling from one picturesque city to the next, taking on nearly 500 events in total, all tailored to the cars they are in nearly four times the amount of events that were in the original Forza Horizon. As you compete, you will in the ranks of the ultimate music and cars party, the Horizon Festival.

While you will be able to enjoy Forza Horizon 2 solo against computer-controlled AI opponents but the game truly comes alive online. Up to eight people can play online over Xbox Live in Online Free Roam and Online Road Trip modes, including a variety of multiplayer racing, cooperative challenges, and Playground modes like King and Infected. Players can also band together and form car clubs of up to 100 members. The game will also feature asynchronous challenges like Rivals mode and Speed Camera events.

As always in Forza games, Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360 will feature car customization, including car upgrades and the livery editor tools.

They forgot to add that the 360 version will work with all compatible wheel accessories and you can play custom soundtracks.

It'll be fine. I've not touched online yet and I'm bloody loving it.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems really stupid to have two different games with the same title!

Except it isn't. How can you not differentiate between "Forza Motorsport 5" and "Forza Horizon 2"? It's easier to do than the Need For Speed series, for crying out loud.

Turn 10 had me right up to the point they said 'tuning'. Meaning I'll get thrashed in every online race as I don't have the time or the patience to sit there and tweak my car to nth degree. Shame as I loved the demo.

Oh god... There is tuning in it?

Oh well maybe no online for me :-(