Forza Horizon 2

gospvg

I'd already seen plenty of footage of this, but none of it did any justice to seeing it live. It's absolutely stunning, they've completely and utterly nailed the atmosphere. Once I'd finished all the events I spent twice as long just cruising all the roads in the demo area finding hidden boards to smash, doing speed cameras and generally taking in the environment as the sun set over over the Mediterranean and rose over the alps the next morning, it really is something special. Judging from the size of the playing area in relation to the rest of the map screen, it's absolutely fucking massive as well.

Oh, and all the outrageously trendy hipster festival stuff is every bit as hilariously naff as it was in the last game, to the extent that I'm almost convinced it's tongue-in-cheek. About half of that 12gig download must have been the super crisp high-bitrate intro movie featuring a whispy female voice-over talking about merging the party vibes between man, music and machine over footage juxtaposing coked up Hoxton dickheads sweating MDMA all over their glowsticks with cars driving through fields. It's all so audaciously ludicrous I can't help but kinda love it.

Literally the only thing I'm bothered about with the demo is the fact the music volume doesn't go to zero. It goes to 1. Which means I can still hear it ever so slightly.

I'm positively tumescent in anticipation for this. Is the 360 version due out on the 3rd as well?

According to Amazon and Game aye, 3rd as well.

Well there are 2 more concerns...

1) You can tell they're pushing the hardware, there's some very aggressive LOD on the opposing and traffic cars, to the point it's actually distracting.

2) The map, if that greyed out section you can see in the demo is the full thing then it's probably smaller even than FH1 which was way, way too small already.

A user on neogaf assembed as much of the map as possible from the various videos etc shown so far..

The demo bit is that section between the festival and Casteletto..

Everything left of San Giovani I don't think you can't see in a demo. So that's a little better. If I had one wish for these games it'd be a Test Drive Unlimited sized map though :)

There isn't really room here for those epic trips over the mountains etc.

Still fucking good of course.

Nah man, as soon as you go TDU-size you completely lose the intricacy and variety of the roads. Routes through Horizon 1 felt like designed courses within themselves. You also lose the appeal of driving everywhere without fast traveling, the demo area of this was what...1/10 of the main game? And it still takes around 5 minutes to absolutely belt it from one end to the other.

Well there are 2 more concerns...

2) The map, if that greyed out section you can see in the demo is the full thing then it's probably smaller even than FH1 which was way, way too small already.

I agree with you there. I think that picture you posted is what I can see from all the grayed out area's and if that's the whole map then it still isn't big enough imo. I think it looks bigger than the first game though.

Nah man, as soon as you go TDU-size you completely lose the intricacy and variety of the roads.

I don't really agree with your point. I don't think that FH has particularly intricate or much variety in the roads. Very nice to drive on though they were and the mountain roads were quite special. I also actually think that, due to its sheer size, TDU had more intricate and varied roads than I've seen in the first FH or this demo.

TDU had a better but less detailed environment however all the main routes in FH1 were superb point to point tracks crafted with the care expected of the people behind many of Codies best rally games. FH1 was a massive collection of superb driving roads crafted by experts in crafting video game routes, TDU was a even more massive collection of roads based on real world geometry.

I'd rather have the combination of FH's roads and quality physics engine over TDU's giant road network and shonky physics, which I loved at the time.

I don't really agree with your point. I don't think that FH has particularly intricate or much variety in the roads. Very nice to drive on though they were and the mountain roads were quite special. I also actually think that, due to its sheer size, TDU had more intricate and varied roads than I've seen in the first FH or this demo.

Madness! The mountain roads were a highlight, but then you had the enormous desert canyon with its various climbs up/down, the forest tracks, the riverside gravel/quarry paths, the urban towns and rural villages, the list goes on. No quarter of the map in Horizon resembled the rest in atmosphere or in layout, whereas you'd struggle to know where the hell you were 80% of the time in TDU because it mostly looked and felt identical.

My only niggling concern about FH2 at this point would be whether it maintains as much large-scale variety as the first, because so far we've only really seen vineyards and coastal roads, beautiful though they are. I want to climb those alps.

Man, I hope they're going to do another rally mode for FH2. It was awesome in the first FH. Because it has the Forza physics engine, the cars have some actual weight to them, compared to the more arcadey rallying games out there like DiRT and WRC, meaning you really have to get your braking points right or you would lock up and skeet straight on. Not surprising as the head of Playground Games used to be the head developer of the Colin McRae games for Codemasters.

Most of you won't realise this (because you're may be playing FH2 as a semi-sim, much like PGR), but when you play FH(2) with a 900° wheel, clutch and stick shift it will actually be like driving a real car over the public roads. Something something the ultimate driving simulator. Dull, maybe...but awesome nonetheless. Such is the diversity in its physics engine.

Man, I hope they're going to do another rally mode for FH2. It was awesome in the first FH. Because it has the Forza physics engine, the cars have some actual weight to them, compared to the more arcadey rallying games out there like DiRT and WRC, meaning you really have to get your braking points right or you would lock up and skeet straight on. Not surprising as the head of Playground Games used to be the head developer of the Colin McRae games for Codemasters.

Most of you won't realise this (because you're may be playing FH2 as a semi-sim, much like PGR), but when you play FH(2) with a 900° wheel, clutch and stick shift it will actually be like driving a real car over the public roads. Something something the ultimate driving simulator. Dull, maybe...but awesome nonetheless. Such is the diversity in its physics engine.

Doubt it Meers. Offroad is pretty much a staple from the get go in this one. If there's going to be an expansion I would expect it to be something else.

Doubt it Meers. Offroad is pretty much a staple from the get go in this one. If there's going to be an expansion I would expect it to be something else.

Rally ≠ free-roam offroad racing. Rally is racing a set course that uses both on- and offroad sections of a route from one point to another with specially upgraded and tunes cars.

They've done it before, they should do it again. I played FH Rally more than FH's single player game, I think it was a stroke of genius to add it to an already fantastic game. :wub:

Edit:

54418244.jpg

Rally ≠ free-roam offroad racing. Rally is racing a set course that uses both on- and offroad sections of a route from one point to another with specially upgraded and tunes cars.

They've done it before, they should do it again. I played FH Rally more than FH's single player game, I think it was a stroke of genius to add it to an already fantastic game. :wub:

Edit:

54418244.jpg

Except there is offroad rally esque proper set races in FH2. No, not to the extent of FH1, but it's still there.

I would like to see something new. There's plenty that can be done. Ice racing up the Alps? Yes plx.