rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Anne Summers

Emulators that can run ROMs from the Cloud

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet...

I still love messing around with emulators, and when I get a new device - phone, tablet, whatever, I usually see what emulators are around for it and play with them for a while.

But it gets tiresome having to copy ROM files across between devices, so I wondered whether anyone makes emulators these days that can open ROM files from, say, Google Drive? So I could just upload all of my rom sets to a Google Drive account and then open them on emulators from wherever I am.

I would even have thought there could be publicly available archives of these sort of things - just rom images stored on servers somewhere that anyone can access. Like a complete MAME set hosted somewhere.

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet...

I still love messing around with emulators, and when I get a new device - phone, tablet, whatever, I usually see what emulators are around for it and play with them for a while.

But it gets tiresome having to copy ROM files across between devices, so I wondered whether anyone makes emulators these days that can open ROM files from, say, Google Drive? So I could just upload all of my rom sets to a Google Drive account and then open them on emulators from wherever I am.

I would even have thought there could be publicly available archives of these sort of things - just rom images stored on servers somewhere that anyone can access. Like a complete MAME set hosted somewhere.

One of the Spectrum emulators for the DS can download from ftp sites.

Erm.

That's probably not what you're after.

If they were going to do that they might as well host the games themselves and have the emus "phone home" for ROMs.

But that would be illegal...

Exactly. Which is why to say they "might as well host the games themselves" is wrong, because they would be breaking the law and would probably get sanctioned for it in some way.

An individual, however, simply hosting them on a cloud service, wouldn't have anything more to worry about than he already does by downloading/hosting roms on a private server.

And that's even assuming we're talking about non public-domain ROM images. There are plenty of old games which have been put into public domain by their authors. For the sake of argument, assume I am talking about constructing an archive of these games.

The Internet Archive has hosted MAME for a couple of years now

https://archive.org/details/MAME_0.151_ROMs

So can you link an emulator to open files directly from there?

Sorry this thread has got doubled by the way, with replies in both - perhaps a mod could sort it out?

Edit: Just had a look and not sure if it would be possible to do what I want - the files seem to be hosted as a huge ZIP archive.

So can you link an emulator to open files directly from there?

Sorry this thread has got doubled by the way, with replies in both - perhaps a mod could sort it out?

Edit: Just had a look and not sure if it would be possible to do what I want - the files seem to be hosted as a huge ZIP archive.

This was just in reply to

Not many Android emulators I have tried seem to give you the option to open files from anywhere other than local storage - unless anyone knows any that do?

For Windows emulators that might work Lorfarius, I will give it a go. I was trying it with Google Drive before though and not getting much luck.