Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

Looking into this again and started reading about him and his wife. The background to that is pretty wild. Like it seems very, very obvious to me that she is with him in order to further her career/ because he has money. I mean, that's got to be part of it at the very least. Do you think, in this particular situation, Chris has an awareness of that? Does he think it's true love? Or is he aware that they've both getting something out of this?

I guess this is a more general question about rich folks you see in this situation. I'm increasingly surprised at how limitless denial seems to be for some people and I wonder if it's the case here.

Sorry, take it to the romance thread etc.

4 hours ago, James Lyon said:

They need those expensive fast cars so they can get to work more quickly and efficiently to finish the game!

More like having something fast to get out of here when shit hits the fan. 

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@Andy_Why Do you have a link to what you've been reading please? Interested to read up on it.

Hey @Gabe. So it was mostly from this article- https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/#14dc213c5ac9

This is the relevant passage -

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years. 

“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”  

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.” After three months, the restraining order was dissolved. Today, Roberts says he cannot recall signing the declaration and that what is ascribed to him in the court filings was prepared by Peterson and false. Despite the documentation, Gardiner flatly denies the incidents took place. 

A few years later, Roberts cofounded Cloud Imperium with Gardiner and Freyermuth, his lawyer partner from Hollywood. He had remarried Gardiner in 2009. Their first marriage was annulled in 2005, court records show. An actress who is still trying to make it in Hollywood, the 43-year-old Australian-born Gardiner is also Cloud Imperium’s head of marketing and a driving force behind the company’s fundraising.

17 hours ago, hereticboy said:

Is there a handy YouTube video that explains the whole saga? I'm only vaguely aware of what's gone on with this and it seems pretty ripe for sitting back, sticking a video on and saying "No. How did that happen?" every now and then.

I've watched this guy's videos a while back when I had some time to kill and an incredulous curiosity with the whole thing. He's a one time big backer who became disillusioned and got a refund, he was in Robert's orbit, backer lunches and all that shit. It's several parts and pretty long but very in depth with regards to the whole shebang.

2 hours ago, amc said:

I've watched this guy's videos a while back when I had some time to kill and an incredulous curiosity with the whole thing. He's a one time big backer who became disillusioned and got a refund, he was in Robert's orbit, backer lunches and all that shit. It's several parts and pretty long but very in depth with regards to the whole shebang.

Thanks for posting, those videos are great. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2020 at 12:39, amc said:

Yes cheers for posting this, these are terrific videos for anyone fascinated by this megahustle.

I think the most heartbreaking thing I've read for this is a guy on Reddit who has, since backing, developed cancer and is now doubting whether he'll ever see the final release. Like, I know that could happen even if the game had only been developed in two years but fucking hell.

This game could be absolutely incredible. I am not giving Chris Roberts no money at all, obviously - it's Chris Roberts - but I would love to play it when it's finally out proper. I can't help but feel that the release of the game, when it finally comes is just going to be a mish-mash of malfunctioning, half-arsed systems and shallow gameplay, all covered in a layer of massively overtweaked, inconsequential features.

14 hours ago, Goose said:

After somewhat radio silence and uproar from fans, CIG have announced a roadmap for a roadmap, that will take them to a roadmap that they then intend to follow. I am not making any of this Up.

A roadmap for a roadmap.

screen_shot_2018-10-26_at_8.12.30_am.png

:lol::lol::lol: It's the gift that keeps on giving. How anyone still believes is one of the most cultish things I've ever seen in videogames.

13 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I think the most heartbreaking thing I've read for this is a guy on Reddit who has, since backing, developed cancer and is now doubting whether he'll ever see the final release. Like, I know that could happen even if the game had only been developed in two years but fucking hell.

This game could be absolutely incredible. I am giving Chris Roberts no money at all, obviously - it's Chris Roberts - but I would love to play it when it's finally out proper. I can't help but feel that the release of the game, when it finally comes is just going to be a mish-mash of malfunctioning, half-arsed systems and shallow gameplay, all overed in a later of massively overtweaked, inconsequential features.

The should just give him a refund and a copy of Elite at this stage.

I think you're all being very unkind to CIG, actually. It takes a long time to develop the tools to build Roadmaps - now that's evidently close to completion we can expect to see a veritable explosion of roadmaps coming out before the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If they're really smart, they'll launch a separate additional Kickstarter for each roadmap :)

I reckon they'd get a few people to pay £1000 for a .jpg of an as of now undeveloped roadmap with no ETA, for sure.

In terms of the expensive Hollywoob talent, there's a growing theory in the Start Citizen forum that they're unable to get any of the crushingly expensive (but now quite old) mocap stuff into the engine for some reason, which is why Squadron64 (or whatever it is) is so horribly delayed.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe they could get some Hollywood talent to appear on an org chart, and use the revenue from that to pay for the road map.

Uh... where does the revenue actually come from there?

9 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

the crushingly expensive (but now quite old) mocap stuff

That's another thing... Back when they started out, didn't they promise an advanced engine with visuals that would take advantage of future PC's? A game that would look a generation ahead? Guess we've now reached the point that it looks current gen and it's still nowhere near finished.

• 2 months later...