rllmuk
Flub

Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

I still think it looks fucking ghastly.  Everything looks so utterly sterile and dead. 

All surface detail with no depth to anything. 

Plus Chris Roberts can go fuck himself - he's a right wanker.

• Upvote 6

Worth noting the Digital Foundry guy is a big backer and posts on the Star Citizen thread on ResetERA a lot, so he is basically shilling for it and that by getting more people in the house of cards that is their Finances don’t collapse and leave him in the lurch.

There’s never any positive impressions of this game from people who don’t have an “investment” on the line.

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Worth noting the Digital Foundry guy is a big backer and posts on the Star Citizen thread on ResetERA a lot, so he is basically shilling for it and that by getting more people in the house of cards that is their Finances don’t collapse and leave him in the lurch.

There’s never any positive impressions of this game from people who don’t have an “investment” on the line.

Which one? RIchard Leadbetter? John Linehan?

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Which one? RIchard Leadbetter? John Linehan?

I don't recognise his voice as one of the main dudes. He's very up-front about being a backer and obsessed with the project, but still I'm amazed that DF would allow such obvious shilling for a dubious project. Whatever the case, it's an interesting tech analysis.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Star Citizen should have launched as a Games as a Service. Then there would be no expectation that it ever be finished!

I don’t think GaaS existed as a concept when this started. One of the many downsides to letting a project go on and on...

3 hours ago, Pob said:

I don't recognise his voice as one of the main dudes. He's very up-front about being a backer and obsessed with the project, but still I'm amazed that DF would allow such obvious shilling for a dubious project. Whatever the case, it's an interesting tech analysis.

At least mention a little bit about the game's contentious development. I mean I get they're all about tech but that video is basically a recruitment drive for SC. Of all the games that deserve a caveat, whether the tech is promising or no, it's SC. It's actually put me off DF a bit this. I can definitely see a few people getting excited and splashing out with such a gushing and one sided video. Not one proper mention of any of its many cons, only its technical pros.

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I'm not sure this was a good move by Digital Foundry. I'm sure Star Citizen looks amazing. But Ive seen a lot of tech demos look amazing before it was downgraded to make room for being a game.

The four? people who make up DF all have their own enthusiasms.  As I understand it, they just go off and make their own content for the channel.  Alex is their biggest PC enthusiast so if anyone's going to be sucked in by SC it's him.  He did write some script to preamble the controversy surrounding the project but cut it.   It didn't need that, just a brief Space Whale warning would have been fine.

• Upvote 1

I think you need view the actual critical appreciation bits of Digital Foundry with caution. John Linneman thinks that Killzone 2 and Turok are among the best first person shooters ever made.

• Upvote 2

Their feverish circle jerking over the RTX upgrades in the otherwise quite bland looking Control really put me off the game to be honest.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think GaaS existed as a concept when this started. One of the many downsides to letting a project go on and on...

Surely Star Citizen would only be an aAS.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, K said:

I think you need view the actual critical appreciation bits of Digital Foundry with caution. John Linneman thinks that Killzone 2 and Turok are among the best first person shooters ever made.

He is correct when it comes to the multiplayer. That shit was spectacularly good and tight.

• Upvote 1

The campaign, particularly in respect of the enemy AI, was really good too. Sadly all grey and brown, and a little one-note. But really solid enemy squad AI.

• Upvote 1

I've been slowly re-listening to the entire run of Idle Thumbs recently. Here's a choice quote from Chris Remo talking about Star Citizen back in June 2015:

"I think it's going to work. Assuming they don't just keep taking millions of dollars off people and selling fake ships".

• Upvote 2

Imagine if this game had been developed well. A small base game launched and then steadily itterated on. On paper it's the dream space game. Such a shame.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Imagine if this game had been developed well. A small base game launched and then steadily itterated on. On paper it's the dream space game. Such a shame.

Elite Dangerous is already out.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I suspect the game they're making, if it ever does come out, will be hyper niche. From memory the next episode of Idle Thumbs had Chris relating how it took him half an hour to figure out how to put his helmet on and activate the ships engines.

Excessive levels of detail and complexity is what they're aiming for which will be selling the fantasy for some people but just busy work for everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

There's a guy in Knutsford who I always see wearing a Star Citizen jacket. Are there developers around there or do they sell real merch as well?

The developers of the single-player campaign, Foundry 42, are based in Wilmslow, so it could be someone who's working on the game.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

There's a guy in Knutsford who I always see wearing a Star Citizen jacket. Are there developers around there or do they sell real merch as well?

I'm going to have to go for a walk at lunch to see if i can spot him.  

30 minutes ago, K said:

The developers of the single-player campaign, Foundry 42, are based in Wilmslow, so it could be someone who's working on the game.

Yeah, there are tons of them around there. It's almost certainly a developer.

What's actually available to do in Star Citizen if one has it today? I saw (I think) a Eurogamer article the other week saying such and such an update had happened, and now there were caves or something. What's the playable content look like right now? I'd sort of thought it was just viewing models of your expensive ships, but then it sounded like there was more than that.

There's a few procedural worlds with some auto-generated missions and harvestable resources, and basic combat, cargo trading and mining. It's approaching the sort of alpha you'd expect a competent development team to produce after a couple of years rather than something that just passed it's 7th anniversary and blown over 150 million dollars.

The few additions they've added are: making it so you can mine by hand rather than having to buy a £150 ship, adding caves (!?), and allowing you to earn(?)/rent ships in game if you grind for literally thousands of hours and don't mind them being wiped at the next patch.

The actual experience of playing appears to be staring at a lot of 30 minute loading screens and dealing with frequest crash bugs

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1