Star Citizen - Fishing for Space Whales

Flub

You can get up and walk around the bridge in E:D wearing a Rift I believe, to the extent of your real world cabling, though your headless body stays in the pilot's chair.

There is a YT video where someone does it. Looks mindblowing.

Here:

They aren't 'in game now' in Star Citizen either. The main difference is that they most likely will actually be at some point in Elite.

Well, there is no SC game at the moment but I can walk around in my ship in the hangar and it does wonders for the scale and general feeling of being there. Generally SC gives a lot more weight to make you feel you are part of a world. Judging by presentations and theory alone. Who knows what the final game will actually be able to offer.

Okay, so that somethingawful thread is quite aggressive and horrible now. (Are they mad gamergate people?), really don't like it, but a very interesting point was raised:

Imagine a game where the day it starts there are $100M of pre-sold ingame assets that have gameplay value to the playerbase. Try to balance an MMO economy and player progression around that, and also try to keep said playerbase happy enough to keep paying you somehow, so that you don't go under.

This is Star Citizen. IF it gets made.
This is a pretty interesting point, in that they have really backed themselves on a corner concerning selling ships and player progression.

For starters, anyone pledging now wants CIG to make sure that there is no way that he could ever lose his ship ingame. Simply because he paid real money for it. Happy balancing.
At the same time, said backers feel that their ships should retain their monetary value after the game starts. To be precise, CIG has told them that they are currently buying ships at a massive discount, and that after the game starts they will "cost more UEC" (but at the same time, there will be no way to pay for them because "selling ships is going away").
Which means that if you try to divide the average MMO real money salary that gamers make via player progression, those people are either
1. Going to get hosed because any player will be able to get their ships pretty easily, and their pledges will be worth peanuts in the RMT market.
2. Be participants to the yoogest, most luxurious chinese RMT sweatshop cum P2W project ever.

Clever person is clever:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ascents-lead-dev-offers-insight-on-the-star-citizen-controversy/

On a more worrying note. They're releasing a little gold card that people who've spent over $1000 on the game can get access to. Not for free of course, they're charging for it.

The Latin on the card translates to "Faithful until we pass away" apparently.

CRw7av-UkAAEbUE.jpg

That's a really good post, but I don't agree with his assertion that SC failing will kill crowdfunding for videogames. It might kill crowdfunding for wildly overoptimistic projects from people with a poor track record on delivering things on time and budget, but that's probably a good thing for everyone in the longer term.

There will still be examples of successful crowdfunded large videogames projects to counterpoint SC's failure (if it happens).

Yeah, I don't get that either. It will probably cause the people who have dumped money into SC to think twice about crowd funded projects, but seeing as there is a list of crowd funded games as long as your arm, unless they all turn out to be scams, what's the problem?

• 1 month later...

So the question it asks at the start, have you ever wanted all these games combined... no. Aren't you killing the scale of things, running around on foot? Unless you can take over stations for your faction, I didn't have the audio on. But as Planetside demonstrates, you need a lot of people in one place to make this fun, and that game was only tens of kilometres in size. This is, well, whatever it is. "Universe."

For me being able to land use my character to walk, fight and interact is pretty important. Actually, I would say that the ability to do that is what makes the scale even more believable. Doing missions against the AI is perfectly fine for me, especially when you have a shared world and economy. Playing against other players will also come in the mix in more important places for sure, so there will be no lack of multiplayer either.

Provided that the deliver this to a playable state that is.

So the question it asks at the start, have you ever wanted all these games combined... no. Aren't you killing the scale of things, running around on foot? Unless you can take over stations for your faction, I didn't have the audio on. But as Planetside demonstrates, you need a lot of people in one place to make this fun, and that game was only tens of kilometres in size. This is, well, whatever it is. "Universe."

Well if it did what they said then there would clearly be a lot of players kicking around.

There's quite a big "if" there, admittedly.

For me being able to land use my character to walk, fight and interact is pretty important. Actually, I would say that the ability to do that is what makes the scale even more believable. Doing missions against the AI is perfectly fine for me, especially when you have a shared world and economy. Playing against other players will also come in the mix in more important places for sure, so there will be no lack of multiplayer either.

Provided that the deliver this to a playable state that is.

I guess I was coming at it from the angle of - if you spend a lot of time on foot (and we're talking stations here, not square kilometres of ground like PS 2), you tend to be concentrated somewhere. I expect, like in PS 2, there will be a specific reason to go to a particular place. That reduces your travel about the galaxy, which kinda limits the sense of scope, to my mind.

Yeah, I guess you could fight against NPCs, but this is supposed to be a single, shared environment, right? Or maybe not, I haven't followed it closely.

I love PS 2, although it's not the greatest implementation on the PS4, so I've given it a miss. But where it works it's because there's a lot of players in a particular area. For it to work overall, you need a lot of players everywhere, balancing available space with population density. To keep that population density, you're probably not looking to spread yourself too thin when there's a galaxy's worth of places to go.

Not sure I'm articulating this well.

• 9 months later...

So, Kotaku have today published a huge article about Star Citizen, and it's well worth a read:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

It doesn't go anywhere near Smart's more incendiary allegations (i.e: those about Roberts lining his own a his wife's pockets, and that the money's run out) but goes into some depth about the dev side, with plenty of material from developers.

It does, largely, confirm what was already known, that the project's had several development problems, was insanely scoped, and how much of a pain Roberts must be to work for.

On 23/09/2016 at 16:22, deerokus said:

Roberts comes across as well-meaning but disorganised and completely out of touch with his employees' day to day grunt work while trying to be involved in every aspect of the same. Very interesting piece.

It sounds like he's trying to run it like he did Wing Commander with no delegation of creative control, but with ten times the staff. He makes the film director comparison but when your DoP says you need to light things this way or your stunt coordinator says you're going to kill someone doing things a certain way most good directors listen, because they know they're domain experts. 

Also sounds like he's not trusting senior staff's judgement where it conflicts with what he wants, and is now quite happy that he's got an art leadership team in place who will happily do whatever he wants.

I've no doubt that you could make Roberts' vision of Star Citizen with enough time, money and staff, but if people get bored working on a bottomless pit of a project and leave, the paying fan base gets bored waiting and user numbers drop off enough before release, or the money runs out, they'll be in trouble. Two of them happen and they're fucked.

3 hours ago, Spacehost said:

It sounds like he's trying to run it like he did Wing Commander with no delegation of creative control, but with ten times the staff. He makes the film director comparison but when your DoP says you need to light things this way or your stunt coordinator says you're going to kill someone doing things a certain way most good directors listen, because they know they're domain experts. 

Also sounds like he's not trusting senior staff's judgement where it conflicts with what he wants, and is now quite happy that he's got an art leadership team in place who will happily do whatever he wants.

I've no doubt that you could make Roberts' vision of Star Citizen with enough time, money and staff, but if people get bored working on a bottomless pit of a project and leave, the paying fan base gets bored waiting and user numbers drop off enough before release, or the money runs out, they'll be in trouble. Two of them happen and they're fucked.

I generally agree except -maybe- one thing: I don't believe that with enough time and resources you can create Robert's vision. It is literally too much and more complex than even the technology allows at the moment. There was an interesting graph in the forums about the economy of the world and how different professions work and how it all ties together. It just seemed insanely ambitious for a game that has a realistic release target period. Even if you developed it for 20 years and more money than god many of the things it promises would probably not make it in the final release as intended.

Everything sounds like a bad case of Freelancer magnified to crazy levels.

He could be the nicest person in the world, but Robert's really never comes across well in anything I've seen him in. Watching those SC events and I get this feeling that all the staff manning the controls pray that everything goes right, otherwise Roberts will get some hired thugs to break their legs.