Goose

Krampus - Christmas horror from the director of Trick R Treat

I loved Trick R Treat, and now Michael Dougherty is back with Krampus, a christmas themed horror anthology. The trailer should be online soon (it just screened at Comic-Con). For now we've got a poster -

post-242-0-34414400-1436654707_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'm not usually one for horror movies - I only tend to stretch to slasher films, things like Friday the 13th Part VI etc, but I've heard of Trick 'r Treat and I like the idea of a movie being several scary shorts. That, plus that poster, makes me very interested. :)

I really enjoyed Trick R Treat, the stories work really well together, and they're nicely linked together. There's a few good scares and gore, but nothing gratuitous. It's worth watching at least once.

Sadly, this is utter garbage.

Tonally it doesn't know whether it wants to be a heart-warming family film, a cynical satire on what christmas has become, or a horror movie. So it veers between until it settles firmly in the kids film territory. It's about as scary as Labyrinth. Due to the "severe threat" against the kid's family it appears to have gotten a 15 certificate and the marketing team decided they'd push it as a horror movie, which is misleading.

The pacing is awful, my alarm bells were ringing when they padded out the first hour with recon-missions into the snow. When Krampus and his helpers do arrive they only attack for one brief 10 minute sequence, with CGI gingerbreads men, a jack in the box and other toy props filmed with shakey-cam. These aren't scary designs but the sequence is possibly too intense for young children. It is incompetently handled, with little narrative to the action.

There is no gore, the film comes to an abrupt end soon after this sequence, offing it's remaining cast quickly by sucking them into the snow, like they ran out of money or ideas, and then the film wraps up in a sort of horror-film fashion. But as a horror film it's tame and incompetent. It's so frustrating given the great start to the film and the pedigree of Trick R Treat.

Basically what this guy says: http://horror.about.com/od/2015releasedhorrormovies/fl/Krampus.htm even two stars is generous.

The only good thing about the cinema trip was the unintentionally funny trailer for The Boy, and the genuinely creepy-looking The VVitch.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've had real trouble trying to get out to see this now TFA is out. The few places still screening it all seem to have one near-midnight showing a day. Anyone else?

+1 for this being a bit rubbish - although my g/f enjoyed it as did the Half in the Bag guys (who usually have pretty good taste) so it's obviously a bit of a marmite film.

I just found it too toothless to be enjoyable - I was hoping for something a bit more gruesome but it's definitely aimed at the younger end of the market. I did like the character arcs of the family all gradually changing their views on one another (evil aunt drinking schnapps with the kids, the dads bonding, etc.), but overall I found it a bit tedious.

• Upvote 1