IGNORED

Dragon Quest Builders

toythatkills

Yeah, I think I'm nearly at the same part.  I've just...

Spoiler

...unlocked the ability to forge the Iron armour, shield and sword. 

It really is wonderful, isn't it?  I like being given tasks, but still having the option to mess around and do my own thing. Big too, so much to do...I've not even started making my base look nice yet...I remember what I was like with Animal Crossing, this is going to bloody finish me off!

27 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Yeah, I think I'm nearly at the same part.  I've just...

Reveal hidden contents

It really is wonderful, isn't it?  I like being given tasks, but still having the option to mess around and do my own thing. Big too, so much to do...I've not even started making my base look nice yet...I remember what I was like with Animal Crossing, this is going to bloody finish me off!

Quick tour of my town, I already have lots of ideas on how to change it !!

Awesome! 

It's similar to mine in places, but then I suppose a lot of people's will be after the starting rooms and placement of the portal, etc. I've got a weird step up/down in the centre of my village too! It's going to take a lot of faffing (demolishing rooms and remaking) to sort it out.  

The landscape is a lot different though, my immediate area isn't near water at all and quite high up. Yours seems boggy and flat.  Unless you're in a different place...anyway, cool! 

I spent a bit of time leveling out the terrain before I started building & then built the external wall after the first wave of monsters attacked the town.

I did have a building with floors but I destroyed it because the camera is poor when you go inside a building & it was difficult to walk around. My furnace is outside at the moment so next task is to expand the workshop & bring it inside. Not quite sure what to do with that giant chest I hate it on the outside but need to think about maybe a storage type room.

Chuck up a video of yours @Mitchell when you get a chance would love to have a look.

I'm on Vita, so can't do a vid I'm afraid, but I've taken a screenie:

2016-10-18-143135.jpg

Here I am with my Sledgehammer, standing on the Stone Stockade (with scary spiky bits).  Very useful for killing baddies, without having to lift a finger.  The random wall colours are just killing meeeeeeeee. 

Agree on the wall colour, I need to spend some time collecting stone to get the cladding that upgrades earth walls to stone walls.

Also my OCD needs the external walls to be in a straight line all the way round.

I like your placements of the portals, why is it higher on the right side walls? What do you have there?

Top Tip for Cladding/Flooring: Use what little you have to covert a large area of wall/ground away from your base. Destroy the newly created stone/wooden surface. They drop as actual stone/wooden material (not dirt). Covert said material back into cladding etc and you're basically getting a shit-tonne of material for free!

My Maths may be off but i'm pretty sure its: 1 Block of Wall = 5 Cladding Pieces. 1 Cladding Piece will cover an area 5 x 3*. Destroy the area for 15 Wall Blocks. Therefore: 15 x 5 = 75 times what you started with. (*It may go higher but my walls are only 3 high, so I dunno).

Hope that makes sense?  :/

15 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Top Tip for Cladding/Flooring: Use what little you have to covert a large area of wall/ground away from your base. Destroy the newly created stone/wooden surface. They drop as actual stone/wooden material (not dirt). Covert said material back into cladding etc and you're basically getting waaaay more than you had for free.

Hope that makes sense?

So you can use stone walls to make more cladding? I thought you need raw stone for cladding?

21 minutes ago, gospvg said:

So you can use stone walls to make more cladding? I thought you need raw stone for cladding?

Collect Stone.

Convert into as many Wall Blocks as you can afford. 

Convert ALL those Wall Blocks into Cladding.

Use Cladding on a huge dirt wall.

Destroy newly covered dirt wall.

All blocks will drop as Stone Wall.

Keep or convert into Cladding.

Rinse/Repeat.

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

Agree on the wall colour, I need to spend some time collecting stone to get the cladding that upgrades earth walls to stone walls.

Also my OCD needs the external walls to be in a straight line all the way round.

I like your placements of the portals, why is it higher on the right side walls? What do you have there?

On that side is the cooking room, load of bedrooms, Dressing room, no special reason it's raised, it just started on sort of two levels and stayed that way. Now it'll be a pain to rectify...so that means doing it immediately.

I'm not past Chapter 1 yet (it's pretty big, isn't it?!) but I am assuming that Chapter 2 will see it grow X amount, and so on. 

I've seen anything about base size anywhere, I can see that there's not any FAQ's about as it's so big/new, but I have seen this statement about base levelling, which was interesting:

Levelling up base needs better rooms and/or facilities.
These in turn boost villagers health, auto HP recovery rates, boosts their equipment that they use, etc.
Basically if your city is getting stronger, so are your plebs.

The limit is the light area approx 32 x 32 blocks. When you leave this 'safe' zone the music changes so its easy enough to plot out. You can build as high as you want, but i don't think digging down works past the first couple of layers.

Note: You can build outside the zone, but you won't get any XP for it. And it all disappears when you trigger the end of Chapter boss fight. So get creative within the constraints.

Oh dear. I've kind of mucked up then now I know that.

My Chapter 1 town expands beyond the boundary with walls, a wee gatehouse etc. I've now got what I assume is the chapter boss to fight. Ho-hum, I was going to tear it down anyway now I have better materials.

Does the area of light expand at all then, as I'm already feeling the pinch by fulfilling peoples requests.

22 minutes ago, Curtis said:

The limit is the light area approx 32 x 32 blocks. When you leave this 'safe' zone the music changes so its easy enough to plot out. You can build as high as you want, but i don't think digging down works past the first couple of layers.

Note: You can build outside the zone, but you won't get any XP for it. And it all disappears when you trigger the end of Chapter boss fight. So get creative within the constraints.

No! It means that the anti monster spikes covering the entire perimeter of my township will disappear!

I found out the hard way on the Chapter 2 boss when i had a full-on moat and multiple layers of perimeter wall. :facepalm: 

And to answer freigold's question: the area of light/safe zone remains the same throughout. But as each chapter progresses you should be naturally getting better at space management etc.

30 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

No! It means that the anti monster spikes covering the entire perimeter of my township will disappear!

Bugger I spent two hours yesterday building a moat & laying it with spikes all around the town.

Been playing this loads the last couple of days and I find it surprisingly good. While chapter 1 dragged out a bit, the game still manages to surprise me with new stuff to do around every corner. The game is A LOT deeper than I imagined it would be and while it's can be played in a very linear fashion, there are great rewards for the explorers out there. Easily a top 3 game for me this year. 

I think I'm enjoying this. I've been following the dripfeed quests and my town is nearly level 3. The town building aspect is nice despite the controls being well fiddly (I'm opening up menus or using items unexpectedly less often now!) but I'm hoping the quests get a bit more exciting than 'go find a new resource'.

4 hours ago, siread said:

I think I'm enjoying this. I've been following the dripfeed quests and my town is nearly level 3. The town building aspect is nice despite the controls being well fiddly (I'm opening up menus or using items unexpectedly less often now!) but I'm hoping the quests get a bit more exciting than 'go find a new resource'.

It gets a lot more exploration heavy a few hours in, as well as the entire building aspect gets a lot deeper as you progress. Chapter 1 is basically a 10 hour tutorial, from the second chapter and onwards it gets really interesting.

Ok, I'm properly hooked in now. I've found the master blacksmith and can build iron tools. I read somewhere though that your town gets wiped and the end of each chapter. Is that right? I don't fancy seeing hours of hard work disappearing down the pan.

1 hour ago, siread said:

Ok, I'm properly hooked in now. I've found the master blacksmith and can build iron tools. I read somewhere though that your town gets wiped and the end of each chapter. Is that right? I don't fancy seeing hours of hard work disappearing down the pan.

No you are sent to a new location to start a new town. Your original town stays with the chapter.

Yeah, once you "rescue" the land from the threath you're off to the next land to help another group of people out. Luckily all your blueprints and known recipes are carried over, so you don't have to start entirely from scratch. 

Chapter 1 Spoilers !!

Spoiler

Found the hidden Blue Slime Character Splatrick yesterday, shame he does not give you any quests to do or become a companion.

I've had quite a bit of time this week to play, was farming for materials for a while but I had enough to tackle the final Golem Boss.

Spoiler

Going to finish off everything I need to do in Cantlin this evening before I start Chapter 2.

Took me a while to get enough materials to build that many spikes but it's very useful against the weaker monsters that attack the town.

My daughter is way ahead of me so I know what chapter 2 is like already, will need to think of ways to set up a defence.

It's a good game, very easy & simple but just what I need to relax after work.

• 2 weeks later...