• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh I’m all confused.  Just signed in for the first time and managed to link it up to an Epic Games account I have.  

Used to be I could see my cross platform friends under rocket ID even if they were offline but no trace of them now.  Will we need to re add each other, or will they pop up when online?

It's one of the most perfectly designed game control systems of all time, you think its just nice arcadey feeling cars and instantly get what you are meant to be doing, then begin to see the difficulty of hitting the ball in the air and what skilled players are capable of.

5y after launch it still feels perfect to pick up and play.

3 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I was discussing this with some mates not long ago. In my opinion Rocket League is up there as one of the most perfect games in delivering it's core promise 100%. It's a simple idea executed beautifully and I also keep coming back to it.

Testiment to the quality of the core mechanics is that they have changed so little in over 5 years, which is incredibly rare.

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

I’ve never played this before, had 5 online games last night. Perhaps beginners’ luck but I was doing pretty well, pulling my weight with assists and scoring a few goals. I can see this becoming addictive and I’m not normally into online gaming...

Great to hear of new players. The new season matchmaking seems to have worked much better this season than previous seasons. I was matched with my level players almost from game one and came out of calibration around where I should be D1. One of my favorite things about Rocket League is that I can drop in whenever I want, as a solo player, no comms needed at all (I turn everything, including text comms off) and play a competitive game. So many modern multiplayer games require much more interaction to enjoy online play. I'm superstarbeejay on epic if you want some casual games when I'm online.

Cool I’m using Epic but can also use Xbox if anyone fancies playing a bit.

I’ll keep an eye out for your Gamertags.

I’m Stoootube on Xbox and Epic. It’s a new experience for me as I’m terrible at competitive shooters, so I never normally play online and have never seen the appeal :D

10 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Its probably the best competitive game ive ever played,just pure fun,scoring goals is still as fun as it was five years ago. 

I love hanging back a bit when there is a goalmouth scramble going on and everybody is chasing the ball, you wait for a sense the ball may make it to the far post, timing a boosted run in to score like Ronaldo.

A goal in Rocket League is more thrilling than one in FIFA as you're so in control and feel so connected to the car via the pad.

23 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I know it's cross progression but if I buy the season pass on Xbox will I get the rewards just on that console or do you unlock them on all of them?

I bought the Season Pass on Xbox and they also unlock on PC. I thinks it unlocks on all systems if you link your Epic account on all systems.

One thing to note certain cars are only available on the platform they were purchased - Skyline, JP Jeeps etc.

2 minutes ago, bignige said:

I bought the Season Pass on Xbox and they also unlock on PC. I thinks it unlocks on all systems if you link your Epic account on all systems.

One thing to note certain cars are only available on the platform they were purchased - Skyline, JP Jeeps etc.

Yeah it was that that made me pause, I can't use the DeLorean and Ecto 1 on anything except the PS4, presumably because all store fronts are unique. Cheers man.

Alright so I cracked and booted this up again on Switch of all things (which seems to lock yourself into that platform for ranking for a month I think).

I remember getting super frustrated playing ranked in the end, because I could never figure out the right balance between influencing the game enough and making sure my team never had too many players ball chasing. And kind of don't want to get into all that again. But it's definitely very fun to return to for sure! God tier game.

• 1 month later...

Well a few weeks on from having written that message, I actually carried on playing Ranked and managed to rank up to Platinum 1 (and very occasionally and briefly Platinum 2). I know that's not very high compared to some, but it feels pretty much exactly where I belong. So I'm actually able to just enjoy the close matches with people around my skill level now, rather than worrying about win %, or getting frustrated in not being able to figure out how best to play.

I still see what seems to me like objectively bad positional play all the time, but either those players must be able to make up for it with just generally being more skilled and accurate, or it actually doesn't seem to have the negative effects (on average, over time) that I assume it does. Either way I'm at a really nice peace with it at the moment. Not sure how long it will last, but it's really fun while it does!

Has anyone tried the tournaments? Can you play with randoms? How do they work?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got a spare Fennec body blueprint or car? My little boy is obsessed with getting one and people want silly money for them on the trading sites(plus I don’t have a clue what I’m doing on them! :lol:). 

I don’t think I’ve got anything too cool to swap, but might have :) 

56 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I have a Fennec blueprint you can have but I'm on ps4, I'll see if I can link accounts with the switch version so I can give it you, then it'll only cost you 500 credits to build it.

That would be awesome thanks. My little boy would be delighted :) 

• 5 weeks later...