Darkest Dungeon

Mentazm

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been playing this a lot recently.

One big piece of advice is to consult a good wiki guide. 

https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Darkest_Dungeon_Wiki

I use it all the time for tips on locations, enemies, etc.

There’s lots the game doesn’t teach you outright.

Here’s what I learned from the hours I’ve put in so far.

If your team wiped, though it might be tempting to do so, don’t wipe your save and start from scratch. Embrace failure and figure out what went wrong. 

The hamlet is the centre of what you need to upgrade, so put your collectible currency into upgrading how many people you can grab and how big your roster can be, to begin with.

Then work on improving the guild and weapon smithing so you can spend gold on improving characters’ weapons, armour and abilities.

Then make a start on improving the stress/quirk/disease buildings a little.

As far as classes go, the Vestal is the dedicated healer class and has some quality moves like individual heal, party heal, stuns and a health steal move.

The Leper is regarded as being the worst class in the game. Very powerful when it hits but it misses its shots all too much.

There’s a guy on YouTube that does good breakdowns of classes that is worth watching his stuff.

When you bring in a new character, look at their character sheet and go through their abilities. If by default they don’t have abilities available that you want, go to the guild and buy them. Then go back to the character sheet and turn off abilities you don’t want and turn on the ones you do.

Pay attention to what moves need to be in what position and place each character in order where they can best use those abilities.

One big stumbling point is when your team gets reshuffled in a battle but some classes have moves that can move them if they say “forward 1” or whatever.

Keep the torch burning, be sure to take a few bandages for bleeds and the blight potions.

The Darkest Dungeon DLC (Crimson Court?) is on sale on psn at the moment. Is the DLC worth it? I haven't played much of darkest dungeon and kind of fell away from it a while back. But I really like it and I'm looking to get back in and start again. 

I like the stuff that’s in that DLC, but it all depends on if you’ll play much of it. I bought the everything version so I had to look up what’s in that.

I haven’t used the flaggelant class much but the Courtyard is an interesting location as the torch is permanently set to low light (torches just buff your team or burn stuff you find).

After my beginner's luck, I spent an enjoyable evening forgetting about the cold and burning through new recruits like anyone's business, just trying to get a good grip on the basics - sometimes that meant unbalanced parties, or low supplies; I think I maybe completed 2 runs in total at best.  Looking at my causes of death, a good proportion look preventable (bleed, blight, heart attack), so it's maybe time to restart and take it more slowly, paying more attention to skills etc, and NOT looking at everything you come across down there, which is a tough habit to break.  With headphones it's a lovely audiovisual experience (even if the voice overs are going to get very repetitive very quickly).  

I've found a really large troop is a bit of a must. I tend to have around 4 of each type on the go at any one time. Majority of those are at level 5 or so, and then it doesn't matter so much if you do have an unfortunate encounter and get hammered...which happens a lot :P . 

I just love the game to bits - like it was mentioned above, you have to embrace the reality of death. I've had some really fucking terrible encounters with high level heroes in basic dungeons (just to get the cash in!) - it's a bit gutting at first, but you just carry on regardless. I think that's the masterstroke of the game...you're not playing the hero. You're the manager :P 

One of the very, very best games I've ever played and so far outside of what I usually enjoy makes it even more special for me :) 

I still look at everything I come across, just bring a decent number of bandages and anti-blight potions with you.

If you have the DLC, you also have a chance to get infected with the Crimson Curse which basically means your characters become vampires and will need blood vials from time to time. And there is a boss that stalks the Courtyard that goes after cursed characters.

Best tip I can offer to any newcomers is make sure you have at least 3000 gold (I normally aim for 5000) to buy up any supplies to over-prepare. If I spend money on character upgrades, I’ll always try and leave a few grand left over.

I’ve got 4 or 5 vestal (healer) classes in my team as I find them pretty essential. 

The number of different classes in this is very generous.  The abomination is cool when you can find like minded souls to roll with him.  Not sure about the Alchemical healer guy though - can heal for good values but de-buffs don't look convincing yet.  I also like man of arms with a positive character trait - he will heal spontaneously and can buff the whole party as well as bop them on the head.  Not had a single jester appear on the wagon since restarting today.  

Anyone know how to kick heroes playing on console?  Can't see any way of doing it.

And I put the torch in the red glowing tree thing too :facepalm:.  At least I got an achievement for all party boss wipe.

I have tried to get into this a few times and whilst I can 'get' the actual dungeon runs, it is the managing of characters and the like outside of that part of the game that really stumps me. 

I've been playing this compulsively all weekend it seems and managed to get 2 bosses, or mini (apprentice) bosses, down - the swine prince and the necromancer.  I've also got 2 very rare achievements which entailed being wiped by a pet mouse and worm (larva), so it's been a real mixed bag. 

The situation seems stabilised somewhat when you level up the wagon to attract higher level and more dudes, keep some cash in reserve each time, and have sufficient alternates available.  It's definitely clunky on console at first with a tendency to make unwanted movements with the right stick, and I still can't see the "dismiss" option, but it seems worthy of the high scores and praise lavished on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but harder in the sense that you lose those characters and all progress/levelling you'd done with them, effectively having to start again  unless you had a backup team, and you usually die because of RNG, rather than your own mistakes. In dark souls, when you die, it generally feels fair. In this it doesn't. 

You definitely need to upgrade the recruitment wagon as a priority: to have more candidates, a bigger capacity and higher level candidates, and also keep a residual cash balance in case of a wipe (or keep trinkets in reserve although that has risks too). It gets easier as you recruit alternates for each role, see which combinations work well, learn which things are worth investigating in the dungeons and get better at actively managing or mitigating stress, which I sort of ignored earlier on, simply so you don't have to spend cash on rehabilitation each turn and thus can accumulate cash for skill and weapon upgrades.  For example, spades are essential in some areas - without them the damage is trivial but the accompanying stress is not, jesters and crusaders are useful for stress reduction abilities..  

Stun ability is so important too. 

I'm up to the 3rd boss tier in the dungeons and have done a bit of probing in search of the Baron the courtyard; doubtless I could have been more efficient.

If the werewolf guy is Abomination, certain classes won’t work with him. Religious ones, basically.

When you’ve started getting quirks, have a look in your character sheets and see if each character is weak or strong to certain enemy types or areas. For example, I’ve got some who gain more stress against Eldritch enemies or do more damage against human enemies.

28 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Are there any things you must know about. E.g a certain character type to always recruit? My warrior died at the start now I have some werewolf guy

The werewolf is good since he has ranged and melee roles, but as @MrHendo observes, religious types like vestal healers won't roll with him.  The only classes I've found limited are the purely ranged ones - highway man and abolest (sp?) (HWM has some melee function but it's not great iirc).  They can do some de-buffing / targeting but are highly position sensitive in the way some other classes are not.  I also haven't used flagellant much to be honest (he was killed by a mouse and I earned an achievement for that feat).  Others are all good and worth experimenting with.  A lot depends on who turns up on the wagon early doors and you get most comfortable with - you can go for ages without something you want appearing.  

Definitely pay attention to quirks, and consider lockin- in scouting or extra damage, although this is very costly at the outset and of course could be money wasted in an instant.  

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Played this all afternoon, no idea what I’m doing I just keep doing the same dungeons. Am I supposed to use a team then put them in the brothel etc so they get over their tough adventures? 

The dungeons are random but of 4 types only (plus the courtyard).  If you don't treat stress with R&R of their choice upon return to the hamlet,  the poor peeps will get more easily completely stressed out next time out given you likely don't have the luxury of rotation at this stage.  Unfortunately things don't always go to plan........

The main goal you should have is working on your town.

At the point I’m at, I can wipe out a whole team but I can replace them and rotate team members out who have a little bit of stress which will heal over time. I only put people in the tavern or church who are really stressed out.

Work on getting your cart up a bit so you can hold more people and pull more people. Then your weapons and abilities which will also help you to be able to upgrade the cart for more levelled up heroes.

Make sure you always have about 3000 gold on hand should you need to do a mission after a wipe.

21 minutes ago, carlospie said:

What’s the point then? Keep my teams alive and finish it? Keep recruiting and build a varied army? 

I believe you technically complete the game when you complete the 4 darkest dungeon quests (top right hand corner) (for which you will need 16 level 6 members since they won't go back for seconds).  Before that time you've got 3 tiers of bosses in each of the 4 areas, the courtyard (DLC) exploration (and a further set of bosses) and checking off other items on the custodians work list.  The skirmish and scouting quests seem to repeat, at least for a while to ensure there is always something to do at lower levels than the hardest.  

But yeah, you need to recruit for redundancy in roles so that you can rotate teams in and out and everything doesn't fall apart for you after a complete wipe through lack of cash for provisioning, and / or having all your available troops already partially stressed.  Getting the wagon upgraded is the way to go, and probably not spending a lot on weapons and skills except when you have a nice financial cushion in place - it starts to happen when you are a little bit levelled up, the peeps don't get so stressed and you don't always need to pay for stress relief.