Darkest Dungeon

Mentazm

Tried my first level in the Crimson Court - decided to start a new game with it on.

Some really cool different game mechanics in play.

Also - my whole team got wiped out.

Note to self - don't drink the red vials....

55 minutes ago, Strategos said:

How does Laudanum work ? It just sat there in my inventory greyed out the whole time.

I'm not sure myself at the moment! I'm assuming it only works when you over 100 in the stress levels, but I haven't really had a chance to test that out!

Still playing this, I've had to turn my games room into a sphere to remove all corners though.

Level 3 missions are now a walk in the park, most of the 2nd tier bosses have fallen before the might of my "heroes". 

But fuck me level 5 dungeons are hard. I haven't made it through one to the boss yet. I get my ass kicked no matter what. Even the most mundane of enemies dodge like Muhammad Ali and hit like Mike Tyson. 

Any advice?!

Yup - the couple of level 5s I've done suggest that going out with even a slightly stressed team is asking for a huge amount of trouble!

That said, forgetting to bloody bring any food or torches with you is also asking for similar ;)

Losing my best Hellion as she slowly freaked out in the darkness was not fun.

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

S'all about accessories innit?

(That and waiting for a week when your damage does an extra 15% extra in certain locations :P )

Is this true ? 

I'm accessorising believe me, but do I have to wait for bonus damage rounds ? 

I'm rolling with a level 6 team, 5/5 armour/weapons, orange level trinkets. No stress etc but getting murderised. 

Just now, Strategos said:

Is this true ? 

I'm accessorising believe me, but do I have to wait for bonus damage rounds ? 

I'm rolling with a level 6 team, 5/5 armour/weapons, orange level trinkets. No stress etc but getting murderised. 

Nah, I was only joking really about the bonus rounds - although they do obviously help!

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Nah, I was only joking really about the bonus rounds - although they do obviously help!

What am I doing wrong then!?

Most of my hits miss, my guys are getting ctritted to shit and back, two or three fights into the dungeon and I'm having to bail out , often losing one hero.

Honestly, I'm not too sure! I'm not great on the higher level missions myself, but that said I've not really done a huge amount of them - rather I've been building up a huge amount of heroes in all the different classes. I then just see which ones work best against certain ones. I do make heavy use of blighting and bleeding though - the gradual dwindling of their strength is always good to see! Also, it's always quite good to get move them around a bit - casting something like confusion on shooters means they'll have to go to the front, where they're basically much more useless.

Basically, there's a lot of trial and error involved - plus a bit of luck too :P

Bene reading up on this game and wanted to get this for the Vita. Had a look yesterday it was discounted to £14.39, put some credit onto my account this morning and went to purchase it just now but the PSN store shows it back to its £17.99.

Thought the latest EU sale was supposed to last until the 6th July. psprices still thinks this should be £14.39.

Weird.

On 27/06/2017 at 14:20, Strategos said:

What am I doing wrong then!?

Most of my hits miss, my guys are getting ctritted to shit and back, two or three fights into the dungeon and I'm having to bail out , often losing one hero.

You upgrading your weapons and armour? That helps a lot with hitting and not being critted. Also use buff powers as well instead of straight damage, and rebuff enemies where you can. The higher you get the more it becomes about control.

Level 5 is where I hit a brick wall too, but they have apparently patched the difficulty down a bit since, and also lowered how long it takes to complete the game, so I may return. I found the leap from level 3 to 4/5 dungeons was brutal, all of a sudden you can get easily teamwiped in the first few fights and if you don't have a powerful healer you're screwed. I would spend a long time levelling my roster up and outfitting them with top stuff, only to lose at least 1 or 2 guys on every level 4 or 5 attempt. Then repeat. I had a roster of 20 heroes so would be doing lots of low level missions in between in order to have a backup team, and of course there were always about 6 heroes in rehab at all times.

I finally gave up on the game when I got teamwiped at the start of a level 5 dungeon, and returned to the hamlet only for there to be a bandit invasion. I hadn't experienced this before and decided to defend to protect my hard earned upgrades. The bandit boss killed my whole backup high level team, and you can't escape the fight. I've not been back since, the prospect of raising at least 8 more heroes to the required strength to tackle levels 4 and 5 I can't be arsed with. Hopefully the patch improves this because it's a great game, just too grindy and instadeathy in the final stages.

On 01/07/2017 at 22:46, Sirloin said:

You upgrading your weapons and armour? That helps a lot with hitting and not being critted. Also use buff powers as well instead of straight damage, and rebuff enemies where you can. The higher you get the more it becomes about control.

Fair enough , I;m maxed out in skills / armour and weapons. The only think left is negative quirks, trinkets and squad composition. 

Time to read some guides I think! 

Ok I've started beating level 5 bosses now. 2 down !  No losses on my team either. It's tough but enjoyable. When i compare the longevity of this compared to say .. Domina , it's chalk and cheese. Domina I finished on the first play through. And although technically Darkest Dungeon is one play through, I've had several squad wipes and am 47 hours in with not even an attempt on the Darkest Dungeons themselves., compared to 117 minutes for Domina!

• 2 weeks later...

I love how the game just shits on you when you finally think you are getting decent at it. Finished off a medium Weald run with a load of level 3s on full health and no stress. Came across a Shamler shrine in the last corridor with a decent party make up for it. Full wipe and a load of decent trinkets gone. The pain, the pain.

• 1 month later...

I love this game wholeheartedly. 

Everything about it is just glorious. Everything about it screams a game that I'd absolutely hate though! Stats, random and utter death, (mostly) procedural generated dungeons. Yet, it's one of the very best games I've ever played. Just love the way I can duck in for a quick half hour and do a dungeon.

And then this just appears on the DD website :)

SB_PROMO.thumb.jpg.f2a11f404f9c6d536888b1c594d8678d.jpg

Oooh mummy.

(Possibly literally)

On 09/09/2017 at 16:51, TurningMonster said:

This is out for iPad if anyone is interested, its cheap, too.

I picked it up, as quite honestly I was interested to see how it would run on an iPad - it definitely suited to touchpad controls, but currently it feels like a slightly lazy port.

They've not altered the aspect ratio of the thing, so it has fairly large black bars on the top and bottom of the screen - which does mean that all the buttons and text is slightly small.

However, on my Pro it runs fucking flawlessly, and if they can do a few fixes here and there, it'll be awesome.

However, for £5 I can't complain too much!