Darkest Dungeon

Mentazm

I had this on PC for ages but never really played it for any length of time, grabbed the PS4/Vita version and played it loads and love it. I find it quite a relaxing game to play even with all the stress mechanics, it's actually quite a nice Xmasy game as well in a ghost story, long winter nights sort of way. Really nice to play on a big TV then retreat to the bedroom with the Vita for a few quick runs before sleep.

I love the art style, they get so much mileage out of minimal animation and it all just works and looks super cool, attacks are satisfying and I love when your characters get under pressure and come out fighting with stat boosts, it's RNG game but when it works in your favour it's super rewarding. Sound in this game is awesome as well.

Def in my top 10 games of this year.

I'm enjoying this but very confused. Not knowing what enemies do makes deciding who to target first a bit of a guessing game, although presumably eventually I'll start to remember some.

With the guild and the blacksmiths, when is it actually worth powering up heroes? I'm week 10 and my highest level 2 dude has just wandered off on his own somewhere and the others are a bunch of wastrels with lots of stress and bad ailments. I've no idea if I ought to be investing in my people more? At the moment I just recruit them, then send them off to die and have heart attacks and then replace them. I don't even know when I ought to send them to the tavern, early and often or not at all until they're useful members of the town?

Yeah you want to be taking only people with like 20 or less stress on missions. You only want to dump people if they get bad combinations of quirks really. Upgrade at the Blacksmith over the Guild to start, but you want to make use of both. You also want to reduce the cost of the stress reduction places, as once you get close to a full roster they should be more or less permanently occupied.

Just started this and i love it already. Its a cracking example of a little, going a long way. Still getting my head around the convoluted UI which was clearly designed for PC/mouse. I'm sure it'll become second nature the more i play. 

I've been naming my characters after Souls NPC's, but i soon realised that getting attached is probably a bad idea - embracing death and loss is definitely the way forward. 

Any important tips i should know before i crack on, or is it best to learn from my mistakes?

Anyway, £7 well spent.

• 4 months later...

Right, well after the relaxed charms of RIME, I decided to pick this up...I'd been meaning to give it a whirl for bloody ages and never got around to it, but today was the day.

By god, it's a bit good!

I'm fucking useless at it, but everything about it is just glorious!

I love seeing my little guys go nuts :D

More folk should give this a go, as it's so much fun it's untrue. It may well be because I've never really played these sort of turn-based things much, but it's just fucking awesome how it's all been stitched together. I also love the way that whilst there's a lot of random shit going on behind the scenes, the majority of that can be negated by a bit of planning.

It also can cause an awful lot of pain if you click on a level 5 mission by mistake and all your cool heroes die (or have so many bloody mental issues it'd bankrupt you to sort them out).

Awesome stuff.

Well, I seem to be in it for the long haul at the moment - it's most definitely got its hooks (tentacles, blades, mad chatterings etc) into me!

Just did a two camp journey for the first time - which I just did by the absolute skin of my teeth (bloody wandering Collector boss almost did for me). Which was great because I'm full of booty. 

and my best highwayman has just got back into service after being missing for a couple of weeks on a rather massive sex romp.

Good times!

I think I need more loot and more basic sortees though. Despite them being level 3, they're struggling a bit!

Although my good for nothing crusader finally had a heart attack. Serves him right, the filthy, neurotic, god fearing, cleptomaniac bastard.

This finally clicked with me on Vita over the weekend. Very (very) early days for me but already my hardy Paladin is pissing me off with his Selfishness. Found him most effective when leading the group but he's started nicking the loot I've found maybe 2 of every 3 times. Bellend. :lol:

Ah man, I knew I shouldn't have put the torch in the glowing red tree.

Killed the vile beast, at the cost of two of the team dying and having to abandon the mission.

Yet I loved it :D

I just knew that i should have stopped when I completed the mission fairly early on. 

But oh no, I got greedy...

Another four brave souls lost to the madness :(

Ah well, plenty more to choose from :P

Darkest Dungeon is the most depraved, dank, dripping, depressing, deathly, difficult, demoralising, decaying, downright brilliant RPG of the last couple of years.

I'm gonna polish off Persona 5 and get back into it i think.

Got this based on you guys raving about it. Seems nice so far, hard though. It has a steep learning curve! I'm struggling a bit managing my troops fear, they always end up going mad, someone gets abusive and compounds the whole thing. Last run I had two abusive guys and two guys that refused to be healed by other party members. Makes the whole thing a bit.... frustrating ? 

Yeah I get that the game is supposed to be .... harsh. And I'm enjoying it, the ambience is lovely, the combat is fun and the team management stuff is great. It just seems like it is a little too out of my control at the moment, maybe that will change as I improve. Are there ways to manage stress in the quests? 

I've also no idea why I don't keep my supplies between missions? I carry it all out why cant I keep my unused bandages and torches ? 

1 hour ago, Strategos said:

Yeah I get that the game is supposed to be .... harsh. And I'm enjoying it, the ambience is lovely, the combat is fun and the team management stuff is great. It just seems like it is a little too out of my control at the moment, maybe that will change as I improve. Are there ways to manage stress in the quests? 

I've also no idea why I don't keep my supplies between missions? I carry it all out why cant I keep my unused bandages and torches ? 

End of each mission they're sold back to the shop - main reason you don't keep all that stuff is you need to really take into account inventory management and all that shit. It's a fucking ball-ache to miss out on some great stuff due to it being full....although it does lead to some interesting conundrums (do you drop that last chunk of food to pick up the gem etc).

Stress management is something that takes a fair bit of time to work out - it's a really good way of the game making sure you give each of the different classes a go. Some are great at keeping those levels down, but do you choose them as opposed to someone who can cut someone viciously and make 'em bleed out.

I cannot emphasise enough how much I'm enjoying this game though - it's utterly outside of my comfort zone on game tastes, but it's just so fucking brilliant when you squeak a victory out of the lowest of places (managed to get one boss whilst all four of my characters were almost stressed to the max, and all on the verge of having heart attacks...boy, it's gonna be expense to get them back up to speed :P

All this, and I still suck at Level 3 missions! So much to learn and get right...

Well I was really enjoying this, then my carefully nurtured level 5 squad got completely obliterated in a level 3 dungeon :/ It wouldn't even let me retreat from combat. Not sure I can be arsed going through all that again! 

On 2017-6-14 at 17:21, Strategos said:

Well I was really enjoying this, then my carefully nurtured level 5 squad got completely obliterated in a level 3 dungeon :/ It wouldn't even let me retreat from combat. Not sure I can be arsed going through all that again! 

Yeah, that's a bit of a bugger when it happens...I've got fucking loads of 'heroes' on the go. I use the term loosely, because the majority of 'em have got all manner of quirks and pains and all sorts of shit. But I have a fucking load of 'em! You can't get too emotionally attached to them!

I'm still tentatively going into Level 3 dungeons though - Level 1's I can do pretty much without thinking now, but Level 3s do requires a fair bit more thought - although I'm getting there now.

Fantastic battle with the Necromancer tonight though - started off amazingly well, he lost around 60 points in one round, so I started to get slightly cocky. Cue him summoning up hoards of undead, and I only had a highwayman with any sort of decent range :P . He sacrificed himself, as did my healer.

But, by got the leper and the crusader - both at death's door - managed to save the day, and they all got clobbered :D .

I love this game so very, very much!

1 minute ago, MotiVater said:

60% on Steam, making this £7.59 right now.  Picked it up out of store credit, just need time to play it now... :S

Just as the Crimson Court DLC has been released too :) . 

Buy it all, and die...die many, many times.

I curse that fucking hag, throwing me in her cauldron :(