rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Increasingly tempted by the Switch, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the horizon. I have questions!

• Are all the dodgy joycon units out of the supply chain by now? I like the Neon Red/Neon Blue look, but don't want to get them if they're more likely to be broken.
  • Are there any other hardware issues to look out for? Talk of dodgy docks and bendy switches?
  • Have they fixed the level matching in Splatoon 2, or does it still throw L1 noobs up against L34 people with OP equipment like the Wii U game did?
  • I loathe the concept of Amibos. Am I going to be constantly frustrated by missing content?
  • Are two sets of joycons enough to play anything at the moment?

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Christ, what a load of bollocks Amazon Prime is - Doom was supposed to be at the office today, now its saying fucking Monday.

Terrible service.  Luckily I use a work friends Prime

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Increasingly tempted by the Switch, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the horizon. I have questions!

• Are all the dodgy joycon units out of the supply chain by now? I like the Neon Red/Neon Blue look, but don't want to get them if they're more likely to be broken.
  • Are there any other hardware issues to look out for? Talk of dodgy docks and bendy switches?
  • Have they fixed the level matching in Splatoon 2, or does it still throw L1 noobs up against L34 people with OP equipment like the Wii U game did?
  • I loathe the concept of Amibos. Am I going to be constantly frustrated by missing content?
  • Are two sets of joycons enough to play anything at the moment?

Cheers!

• No, but if you get one Nintendo just fix it for free. It's an easy process.
  • There are no major issues - as ever a small thing some people get is blown up. I guess if you really worry, open the box in-store and look at the dock?
  • They've not 'fixed' it because it's not broken. There is no such thing as OP equipment and L1 vs L34 is fine - it's not a skill level, it's just an indicator of play time. An L1 could be way better than an L34. It's not determined in any way by skill. That's ranking - which goes from B-S anyway.
  • No, not really.
  • Just use the one set in the box to start with - and if you get on with them get another set. If you don't, buy a pro controller.

Ta for answering Qs.

10 minutes ago, rgraves said:
  • They've not 'fixed' it because it's not broken. There is no such thing as OP equipment and L1 vs L34 is fine - it's not a skill level, it's just an indicator of play time. An L1 could be way better than an L34. It's not determined in any way by skill. That's ranking - which goes from B-S anyway.

It felt awfully broken to me. On the rare occasions I got matched against players of similar level, I had a great time and generally finished in the top 2. The rest of the time I got thrown in against much higher level people with about four times the ability slots I had, giving them larger ink reserves, faster running speed, damage and defensive boosts, and I consistently got hosed and stopped having any fun at all.

Loved everything else about the game, so I was hoping they'd fixed that.

6 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Ta for answering Qs.

It felt awfully broken to me. On the rare occasions I got matched against players of similar level, I had a great time and generally finished in the top 2. The rest of the time I got thrown in against much higher level people with about four times the ability slots I had, giving them larger ink reserves, faster running speed, damage and defensive boosts, and I consistently got hosed and stopped having any fun at all.

Loved everything else about the game, so I was hoping they'd fixed that.

Level goes up as you play - it has absolutely no relation to skill level. An 8 year old that plays a lot can get to a high level just through playing. The skill-level piece is Ranked Play, and that goes from B through to S rank. That matches you with people of the same rank (and it rocks but is locked until you hit L10).

If you get the game now, obviously a lot of people will have been playing for a while, so they'll be higher levels - but it says nothing about their skill at all. Experiment with the weapons and combinations - your level *cannot* go down. It can only go up.

Equipment in the game can't really be OP - all the guns are essentially the same (you just unlock different sub-weapon combinations for them) and all the equipment comes in 1, 2 or 3 slot varieties. Abilities are added to them randomly (pretty much, there is some brand-bias) as you play. You can buy gear you see on other players in the plaza.

Splatoon 2 is, quite simply, bloody awesome. :wub::wub:

Wasn’t going to get Doom... hadn’t ordered.

pal of mine got his today and posting pictures... Argos online; same day delivery... had it in 2 hours and I live in THE STICKS

Beat that amazon.

• Upvote 1

You can’t say that how long someone has played has no effect on their skill. Of course someone who has put hours in is going to be better than you on you first few goes and you’re likely to get stomped.

5 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

You can’t say that how long someone has played has no effect on their skill. Of course someone who has put hours in is going to be better than you on you first few goes and you’re likely to get stomped.

I can - my daughter plays loads, loves painting the floor. She's reached about level 22. She's not going to stomp on anyone though. There's quite a lot of players like that, the variety of people in the game is huge. The amount of time she plays is not going to make her better in comparison to somebody else who might be playing Splatoon for the first time, but already knows their way around a twin-stick shooty man game.

Level in Splatoon is nothing other than an indication of time played. Could have played 100 games and lost each and every one. Rank on the other hand.....

To add to what @rgravessays above, the game matches turf war players depending on whether they’re painters or aggressive splatters. 

I often let my daughter play for a bit before she goes to bed, then I get a couple matches of head down painters I can practise my sniping skills on. :blush:

• Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I can - my daughter plays loads, loves painting the floor. She's reached about level 22. She's not going to stomp on anyone though. There's quite a lot of players like that, the variety of people in the game is huge. The amount of time she plays is not going to make her better in comparison to somebody else who might be playing Splatoon for the first time, but already knows their way around a twin-stick shooty man game.

Level in Splatoon is nothing other than an indication of time played. Could have played 100 games and lost each and every one. Rank on the other hand.....

The longer you play the better you get is correct for all games, where you hit your skill ceiling is the variable and then add in extra ability advantage etc - it’s fair to say someone who plays it lots generally will be better esp in a FPS type game as that muscle memory is key to how good you are.

My youngest daughter is scarily good at splatoon 2, she has no real interest in ability stuff even when I try and explain - she just plays for fun until she loses and has a proper mardy - I for one have no idea where she gets this trait from....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

until she loses and has a proper mardy - I for one have no idea where she gets this trait from....

To be honest, sounds like she's been watching me :lol:

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Rubber can't physically scratch glass.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I have a duster! Crisis averted.

Flippant and incorrect. The rubber pads from within my Nintendo Switch Dock have left permanent marking on my Nintendo Switch screen. They originally would wipe off and now they do not.

Separately, the plastic within the Dock or dust caught on the rubber has scratched the screen. 

I did not believe that it would happen - I assumed scratched screens were caused by people not being as careful as they think they are, but now I don’t think that’s right. I don’t have deep long scratches, but something scratched the screen while carefully removing the screen from the Dock. Not only is there visual evidence on the screen, there was an audible scratch sound as I slowly removed it.

Capcom to bring increased support and more titles to Switch -

While some major third-party publishers have backed Switch enthusiastically from the beginning, others have been rather more reserved. Capcom has certainly been cautious early on, offering some support with ports and tweaked older games while waiting for indications of early sales.

With the Switch having enjoyed a positive debut year so far, it seems Capcom is looking to produce more titles to cash in on that popularity. Speaking to Japanese publication Jiji, a company executive outlined plans to bring more titles to the Switch after April 2018. The only specific franchise mentioned was Ace Attorney.

There's certainly plenty of scope for easy wins with the series. In addition to the various 3DS entries and remasters the IP has had multiple HD versions on smart devices. Of course, the Switch could potentially be on the cards for any completely new entries, too. Beyond Ace Attorney there are various ports that could be quick projects for Capcom (we already have Resident Evil Revelations and its sequel around the corner), though many will naturally hope for new games.

Good News.

Actually, Doom isn’t that bad at all in docked mode. I’m sure if I did a side by side comparison with the PS4/Xbox version it would be a horrible mess, but it looks sharper than it does in handheld mode, and I’ve played enough 30fps FPSs in my time for that to not be much of a problem.

The higher level you are, the longer you’ve played, the more money you’ve earned, the better equipment (i.e. more abilities) you can afford. With two players of equal skill, the one with the better equipment will have an advantage.

Add to that the accrued experience of the games’ systems and map layouts, and a typical higher level player will have quite and advantage. 

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Christ, what a load of bollocks Amazon Prime is - Doom was supposed to be at the office today, now its saying fucking Monday.

Terrible service.  Luckily I use a work friends Prime

SEE! SEE!

39 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Flippant and incorrect. The rubber pads from within my Nintendo Switch Dock have left permanent marking on my Nintendo Switch screen. They originally would wipe off and now they do not.

Separately, the plastic within the Dock or dust caught on the rubber has scratched the screen. 

I did not believe that it would happen - I assumed scratched screens were caused by people not being as careful as they think they are, but now I don’t think that’s right. I don’t have deep long scratches, but something scratched the screen while carefully removing the screen from the Dock. Not only is there visual evidence on the screen, there was an audible scratch sound as I slowly removed it.

It's not incorrect - it is scientifically proven that rubber can't scratch plastic.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

True, but the screen has a Mohs hardness of around 3, and the sort of soft rubber used on the Switch is less than 1. By definition it cannot scratch the screen.

Pos'd for referencing Moh's hardness scale..

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Nope. You can treat the Switch as gingerly as you like when docking, but if the console bends, it'll scratch. The screen protector is useful against these first gen design issues.

I had the day off today, so I planned to apply my screen protector as instructed, but instead I got sucked into reading Shirley Jackson and finishing Mario Odyssey. What a game! 

But I’m convinced by your doom mongering.

• Upvote 1

Caved on Doom at lunchtime as I remembered I had a £25 Argos voucher from work so well its practically free then isn't it?

Just remembered though I preordered Rime which will be turning up next week and I've barely scratched the surface of Mario.  Too many games Switch, too many games (I will not buy Skyrim until it drops in price, I will not oh no...)

But still portable demon slaying whats not to love?

• Upvote 1

Just a quick save question - any save games I have from physical games I currently own will obviously work if I buy the same game as a download? 

Wasn’t convinced about digital downloads for games but mario has convinced me very quickly about having it good to go at all times! :)

I'd be very, very wary about preordering RIME. It's a nice game but it didn't exactly run smoothly on PS4 and early hands-on impressions are pointing to a port that could be a bit of a dog's dinner. I'd consider maybe waiting for more solid impressions before laying down the cash for it. 

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'd be very, very wary about preordering RIME. It's a nice game but it didn't exactly run smoothly on PS4 and early hands-on impressions are pointing to a port that could be a bit of a dog's dinner. I'd consider maybe waiting for more solid impressions before laying down the cash for it. 

Well it will be an interesting one as it does have a good port studio behind it and it is a UE4 game.

19 minutes ago, weightgain said:

Just a quick save question - any save games I have from physical games I currently own will obviously work if I buy the same game as a download? 

Wasn’t convinced about digital downloads for games but mario has convinced me very quickly about having it good to go at all times! :)

I switched from cart to digital on Zelda and Mario and both saves worked fine :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

It's not incorrect - it is scientifically proven that rubber can't scratch plastic.

The rubber on the Dock has left permanent marks shaped and sized exactly, on my screen, where it would lie in the Switch. I didn’t say scratched. Rubber pressure cannot damage screen plastic? It cannot leave permanent marks? Bullshit.

i understand that the scratches I originally mentioned must be made by particles on the rubber or plastic within the Dock, rather than the rubber itself, which can’t make a scratch.

The answer to this is simple - while I don’t have a first batch Switch, the heat generated by the Switch has warped the Dock, because I don’t have the same clearance any more.