Nintendo Switch

I never get the Switch has no games thing.

I can’t thing of a single machine in history that’s had that a better first year than Switch.

Botw, MK8, Arms, Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey.

Some decent indie stuff (Fast RMX, Snipper Clips, Thumper).

It’s bonkers. The only thing that would make me sell mine would be an updated machine with some fancier features (maybe an OLED screen), or to finance a black market organ purchase if I were dying.

45 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I never get the Switch has no games thing.

I can’t thing of a single machine in history that’s had that a better first year than Switch.

Botw, MK8, Arms, Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey.

Some decent indie stuff (Fast RMX, Snipper Clips, Thumper).

It’s bonkers. The only thing that would make me sell mine would be an updated machine with some fancier features (maybe an OLED screen), or to finance a black market organ purchase if I were dying.

No CoD (every year) Fifa (every year) and GTA means no games.

Having a far more lively year than Wii U's first year certainly helps, though.

Switch'll be fine in the long run thanks to smaller model (to promote it as a proper handheld) and Pokemon.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

No CoD (every year) Fifa (every year) and GTA means no games.

Having a far more lively year than Wii U's first year certainly helps, though.

Switch'll be fine in the long run thanks to smaller model (to promote it as a proper handheld) and Pokemon.

It um has FIFA and given the way it's selling and the immediate reaction from some the third parties to this (Bethesda announcing and releasing a Doom and Wolfenstein 2 port in a matter on months par example), I'll eat my hat if we don't get a GTA5 port and CoD next year Switch bound.

The no games thing came ultimately from the very sparse looking launch lineup (which was pretty much just portable Zelda) that I will admit along with the high cost of entry initially put me off.

As it turns out we've been treated to a great first year of games with way more stuff than most will have had time to play, I already have 15 games bought since I got mine in June and will be adding at a minimum Mario, Rime and Doom before the end of the year...and yet I still spend at least 75% of my Switch time playing Splatoon!

I mean it from the casual consumer sense, not my own. The games that matter to them have to be on the Switch.

Nintendo proved with the Wii that they don't need that crowd however, and I'm sure they'd be happy enough to pull in the 3DS/Vita crowd in the long run.

Only way I can see things going haywire is down the road is it's going to get tempting to Nintendo to allow mobile ports onto the Switch, micro-transactions and all, if their own success with their mobile projects continue. And the only reason I'd think they'd be that stupid is because the Wii was stuffed with shovelware. It deteriorates the whole ecosystem if you'd like to imagine 500 match 3 clones suddenly popping up on an eShop near you. The trust from gamers would, much like in the Wii days, no matter how high quality their own titles are, plummet.

But I don't see that happening yet. Hopefully never. They're probably still just pondering how to cater to the long gone Wii crowd.

Well I previously posted in here after ordering a Switch and Splatoon 2. Absolute shit fest with the seller saying it was in stock but after waiting two weeks and still no dispatch notice I've cancelled the order. I expected to be playing with a Switch almost a fortnight ago and now I've had to cancel my order. I was gutted...for about two minutes and then went to good old Amazon and pre-ordered the Mario console pack. Roll on the 27th. The wait's been killing me.

Blood, guts, gore and boobs have always been fine on Nintendo. At least after the whole Mortal Kombat 1 fiasco on the SNES. The trouble with Isaac is Bible references, which they said fine to anyway after awhile (it's New 3DS exclusive).

Nintendo are different/family friendly to their own stuff, nobody elses.

They helped make Bayonetta 2 :wub:

Standards-wise, Nintendo were known to limit the amount of games once upon a time. Currently the only thing they do to devs is tell them 'if you want marketing, you're going to have to delay your game on all consoles so that the Switch gets the game at the same time'. Which is shitty, in my view, and nothing to do about setting standards.

8 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

It um has FIFA and given the way it's selling 

What, badly?

In three weeks Fifa 18 has sold over 1.2 million copies in the UK. The Switch version is responsible for around 12-13k. Just over 1% of sales. It was outsold in the first two weeks by the Xbox 360 version.

To be fair I think the Fifa fanbase is probably completely entrenched in the PS4/XBone ecosystem by now, and no amount of effort by EA or Nintendo is going to change that, but it's not a sales performance that is going to send third parties scrambling to port their biggest franchises to Switch.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

OK, assuming those 1.2 million copies were to Xbone and PS4 owners. There are 8.36m Xbones and 25.24m PS4s in the UK, 33.6m in total.

1.2 million sales across 33.6m owners means that 4.5% of people bought a copy.

On the Switch, there are 1.54m owners, and 13k copies. That's 8.4%.

So in terms of percentage install base, the Switch sales are BETTER than other platforms.

You can't compare sales on a console with just 4.6% of the users to others and moan it sold fewer copies. Of course it did.

Lets talk about net spend...

Just now, Chooch said:

Lets talk about net spend...

I deleted that post? Like, immediately? Because I read 13k as 130k so my numbers are out :)

This is still true mind:

You can't compare sales on a console with just 4.6% of the users to others and moan it sold fewer copies. Of course it did.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Bayonetta was just embarrassing to play. I flicked over to babestation whenever the missus was about to come into the room to see what I was up to. 

My missus thinks she's great; while it's obvious that Bayo is clearly designed to be 'sexy', the game has just enough arch self-knowledge to be considered as sending itself up. I assume it's an empowerment thing, as well.

Lollipop Chainsaw was worse for embarrassment factor; I had the 'Oh, Japan' filter turned up a little more. Again, the game's sense of humour came to the rescue - a bit like 'Buffy' meets 'Carry On Screaming'.

2 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

How do people leave their Switches when not playing ? I've got mine sat in the dock without the Joycons on in sleep mode. Would people recommend taking them off charge at 100% and putting in a case or doesn't it really matter ?

Mine sits in the dock but is very rarely used on the TV.

Joycons are always attached as why would anyone ever remove them?!

14 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

How do people leave their Switches when not playing ? I've got mine sat in the dock without the Joycons on in sleep mode. Would people recommend taking them off charge at 100% and putting in a case or doesn't it really matter ?

Attach them to the switch when  you aren't using them.   They'll always be fully charged and you'll know where they are (not down the sofa etc.)

27 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Sat in the dock with one set of joy-cons attached. Ready. Waiting for my body to be the same.

Mine is in the dock with joycons attached too. 

I also have a case, it's where the games live, and where the Switch goes if I'm taking out for whatever reason.

Even if you're not using the dock connected to a TV, it's so convenient to just drop the console in, know where it is, and know it's fully charger next time you want it that I wouldn't do it any other way.

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

Tiny Metal is coming to the Switch.

Tiny Metal.

Which is a Sony game. Published by Sony.

On the Switch.

Tiny Metal coming to Switch is not new news, this Sony publishing bit is though....how...curious!