rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Nope. GC-specific 'god' game that was supposed to be a little bit like Black and White (Peter Molyneux hype-monster) back in the day.

I have a copy - thought it was pretty OK.

Um, downloading the Monster Hunter demo appears to have broken my Switch. Or at least, it's broken after I started downloading it - could be a coincidence.

My Switch screen is black, even though it's on. This is both undocked and docked (TV picture is black too). When I hold down the power button, the overlay appears (sleep mode, flight mode etc, and images showing my controller is connected) but everything behind it is black. I can hear the menu sound effects when I press the shoulder buttons but the OS is gone. What the fuck?

Battery fully charged. Not been dropped or badly used. All I did was set the MH demo downloading, it added to the row of games with the download bar under it, and I pressed the power button and put it into sleep mode while it downloaded. Switched it back on fifteen minutes later and ... black screen.

Edit: I remember it doing the exact same thing when I booted it up on launch day and downloaded the update. Soon as I started the download, the screen fucked up and went black and wouldn't come back on, then did half an hour or so later. No issues since. Is this a thing?

6 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Um, downloading the Monster Hunter demo appears to have broken my Switch. Or at least, it's broken after I started downloading it - could be a coincidence.

My Switch screen is black, even though it's on. This is both undocked and docked (TV picture is black too). When I hold down the power button, the overlay appears (sleep mode, flight mode etc, and images showing my controller is connected) but everything behind it is black. I can hear the menu sound effects when I press the shoulder buttons but the OS is gone. What the fuck?

Battery fully charged. Not been dropped or badly used. All I did was set the MH demo downloading, it added to the row of games with the download bar under it, and I pressed the power button and put it into sleep mode while it downloaded. Switched it back on fifteen minutes later and ... black screen.

Long hold the power button until you get the full power off menu or it goes off.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What was doshin? Some 64DD thing that never saw the light of day over here/anywhere?

Yes, only it did see light of day here :)

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Long hold the power button until you get the full power off menu or it goes off.

Oh thank god. Working now. Thanks Shimmyhill. It was refusing to go into sleep mode, restart or power off, but long holding even past the power menu made it go off. That was scary.

• Upvote 1

Never played Doshin some could be interested in that.

I'd likely buy Sonic Adventure 2 if that was re-released on it (depending on price). I played that way more that I probably should have on GC. Proper guilty pleasure game. 

I unfortunately post this picture with one HUGE caveat... It's being published by the god awful Nicalis so don't be surprised if a UK release doesn't materialise.

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Revival said:

I unfortunately post this picture with one HUGE caveat... It's being published by the god awful Nicalis

What's wrong with Nicalis?

41 minutes ago, deKay said:

What's wrong with Nicalis?

90% of what they publish doesn't get released outside of the US. Plus they cancel games/various ports for fun.

39 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Switch specific, they're taking forever to release Binding of Isaac over here. (I know you can just get it digitally off the US store but I want the physical edition!)

My Mate grabbed it when we went to America at the start of April, can't believe it's still not out here! 

I already have the Steam version of SMB but never did finish it fully.

I heard the music is changed on every other version (licensing issues?) but playing on the switch would be kinda noice.

3 minutes ago, partious said:

Everyone has their own reason to hate Nicalis.

Mine is 90's Arcade Racer.

Is that Nicalis' fault though?

20 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Everyones pledge of better third party support was just them realising they could use Nintendos nostalgia to shift their back catalogue then?

Eh? Seems more that a lot of the retro goodness that the Switch has been enjoying falls into a general retro trend of the past 4-5 years.

I mean, when the most succesfull PS4 game of the past few years is a remaster of 3 90's platformers, that denotes a trend. A trend the Switch is nicely benefiting from thanks to Nintendo's reputation and the fact the Switch supports a cartridge like format. Complete with various older classics appearing on cart.

Super Meat Boy just isn't the same without the original soundtrack. I tried playing the PS4 version again recently and the new soundtrack is terrible in comparison. Really ruins the atmosphere of the game.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah but those two slightly shit examples aside, I'd be more than happy to have the Switch as a handheld that plays a host of retro classics and one excellent new Nintendo game a month. That sounds, well, fine

A proper portable virtual console functionality would be a massive seller for the switch, surely...

1 minute ago, Coolcongo said:

Hmm Wanted to buy Ironcast its out today but not  on the store yet. When is the store updated 

2pm

One of the other "GC games listed for the Switch" is The Chronicles of Narnia. So chances of this being GC actually on the Switch have just dropped to near zero.

I bought Ironcast (out on the eShop today) off the back of some very decent reviews and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love games that mix a puzzle or card mechanic with a completely unrelated theme (in this case, steampunk robot wars with some light strategy thrown in). If you liked Puzzle Quest/Pocket Card Jockey you'll probably like this too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1