rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

What the hell is up with stock of this thing, it's been 6 months now?

At what point does it change from being "We're surprised anyone actually bought it" to "We're a bunch of fucking idiots"?

I think it's mainly down to being unable to book factory time and source the silicon. You've got Apple, Samsung and everyone else in between booking huge swathes of lines up. So when the next slot comes around and a factory says to Nintendo, 'ok how much do you want?' Nintendo are left with a tricky decision to make. Do they bet big and book/make a large run or play it safe.

I'm quick to nit pick a lot of Nintendo's decision making, but in this instance it's a tough situation and they aren't really to blame.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Charles said:

I fully believe you that there is a shortage.  But from a consumer perspective it only seems to be affecting Nintendo. Which is unprofessional if your competitors have been more organised than you in obtaining component parts. Nintendo are once again taking a short term profit view over a long term view.  Short term they could take a hit if they had to start paying more for component parts but long term you have to start getting Switch on shelves so they get sold and people then buy games which is the money making area of any console. 

I commented in the other thread about stock shortages that no company will be sat back doing nothing during times like these.

Nintendo will be pushing their component suppliers pretty hard to get resolutions to these issues.

Costs and lead times are increasing in electrical appliance manufacturing. We've seen some component lead times double to 52 weeks and that excludes manufacturing and shipping lead times.

If you're lucky your supplier will put the part on allocation and give you a proportional share of whats available. If you're unlucky Apple will get everything.

We've been protected by our stock in channel so as a consumer you won't have seen the impact. If things don't improve the electrical retail space will be an interesting place on 4 months time.

That's why Nintendo are suffering so much. Their supply was already down on their requirements. 

I don't work for Nintendo and I'm pretty glad given the state their supply chain is in. No-one will be congratulating them on doing a good job and they'll feel hugely under pressure.

You're only ever a villain in supply chain planning. No-one thanks you when product is on the shelf, you only exist when there's not enough stock.

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Dekay in old news SHOCK!

Apparently us in euro land (never forget!) might only be getting a digital release..

Only the first game is physical anyway. A download code is bundled for the second game.

44 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Dekay in old news SHOCK!

Apparently us in euro land (never forget!) might only be getting a digital release..

Page had logged me out so didn't see it :(

30 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

LOL at more old ports at high prices being Capcoms support after Ultra Street Fighter 2.

Thanks for nothing, guys!

I think it's more just a case of them realizing the Switch has a market building up, and wanting to get something to it quickly. I read it as quite encouraging that they are bothering. Guess time will tell, but I think Switch is starting to move up the radar for a few publishers - quick ports will be the first buttons they press, and will hopefully lead to more joined-up development in the future.

Put it this way, I bet you'd have been all over this had Switch NOT been included in the PS4/XBO announcement ;)

• Upvote 2

That's all they've announced for now, we've no idea what will happen. Presumably the cost of porting these two is worth the risk of seeing if there's a market on Switch for more Resident Evil. The port probably isn't even being done by one of their internal teams.

Also - just don't buy it if you're not interested!

both Resident Evil Revelations and its sequel, Resident Evil Revelations 2, will be setting sail for Nintendo Switch in late 2017! At retail across North America you will find these two games as a combo pack dubbed Resident Evil Revelations Collection, which includes one cartridge with Revelations as well as a digital download voucher for Revelations 2 for $39.99. Both games will be available as individual digital downloads at $19.99 each.

So even if you buy the physical version Revelations 2 is always a download so they can save money on carts, because this is Capcom and they've got to do the very bare minimum for full price!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Also they will come round and break your kneecaps if you don't buy it.

Why are you getting so upset by criticism of Capcom? Maybe demand better and you'll stop getting shit Switch support?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Why are you getting so upset by criticism of Capcom? Maybe demand better and you'll stop getting shit Switch support?

Exactly. PS4 and Xbox owners don't get excited by the mere fact a developer deems their console worthy of a second rate hand-me-down. Switch owners shouldn't either. The problem is that they did well selling SF2 at full price, and they really didn't deserve to, so now they  think they can churn out any old shite, minimum effort required.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Why are you getting upset about odd things - like RE2 only getting a digital release - when it's only ever been a digital release on every other platform?

Honestly - it's a port of some old stuff, if it's not interesting just walk on by - why get miffed on behalf of others who might like to pick it up on Switch? Why call Capcom cheap for just doing what they've done on PS4/XBO already?

I don't get the issue - more content and choice on Switch is a good thing whichever way you cut it surely? Let individuals make their own purchase decisions, and stop trying to make out people might be doing something wrong if they decide they want to buy stuff like this. You don't like the idea, fine - others might though. It doesn't make them wrong.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm not upset, I just don't see the benefit for anyone here of you repeatedly popping into this and other threads, saying something is shit and then vanishing again.

You don't think the game is worth it. Cool. Don't buy it. Someone else might and they might *gasp* enjoy it. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, smac said:

I'm pleased I decided to get a Splatoon! bundle pre-ordered when I had the chance - that seems to be the best option; pre-order as soon as you see them appear.

Yeah if they announce a Mario bundle I'd be jumping immediately.

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah if they announce a Mario bundle I'd be jumping immediately.

I did think about it for a while, assuming that there would be more stock available soon, but I reckon they just held stock back for the bundle - so yes, just go for it.

6 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Good to see Capcom releasing RE. It's another cash in but, the first one at least, is a solid entry. I won't be biting as I've got in on the 3ds but I'm sure there'll be plenty of takers on Switch.

Speaking of 3ds ports.. how good would a Switch Kid Icarus be!? I can't think of a better 3ds title (except Ridge, damn you Namco!!) which would absolutely blow minds on this hardware. The graphics would look astonishing on the Switch's screen. An extra bonus would be that I'll finally be able to play the damn thing properly with duel sticks!

It's quite possible; it was headed for the WiiU until the console's performance deemed it a bad gamble. And where's this 'already finished' Pikmin 4, hey? -_-

3 hours ago, GoblinUK said:

Can we have one with Mario red and Luigi green joycons?

Is literally what I'm hoping for and have been since launch. Although....

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

With red and white JoyCon!

This would also be acceptable.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Good to see Capcom releasing RE. It's another cash in but, the first one at least, is a solid entry. I won't be biting as I've got in on the 3ds but I'm sure there'll be plenty of takers on Switch.

Speaking of 3ds ports.. how good would a Switch Kid Icarus be!? I can't think of a better 3ds title (except Ridge, damn you Namco!!) which would absolutely blow minds on this hardware. The graphics would look astonishing on the Switch's screen. An extra bonus would be that I'll finally be able to play the damn thing properly with duel sticks!

A Ridge Racer game would be amazing. A fairly simple arcade racer would be a perfect fit. 

• Upvote 2