rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Len said:

Waved goodbye to my Switch today ( :bye:) and sold it on so someone else could have the joys of Zelda. Was just no point in hanging on to it as nothing else I wanted to play till Mario so thought it best to sell on.

Great console and Zelda an absolute masterpiece. Maybe I'll get another for Mario. 

Mario is out in a few months. You're going to lose money buying it all over again, just put the thing in a drawer...

• Upvote 1

I know that I'm alone in not quite getting all the adulation that is poured on to Cave Story, so seeing it at close to £30 really cheered me up, because now I know that I am fully justified in not buying it to not play it again. That price is utter madness, and someone deserves to lose their shirt for even thinking it was ok.

• Upvote 5

Even if it was a launch day console how could @Len possibly be done with Zelda! :blink:

I'm at 155+ hours and still have LOADS to do, sounds like some are over 200 hours and feel the same. 

Having not bought any games for the past 5 years (since having kids) aside from getting the odd 3DS game for Christmas (The Zelda's, Luigi's Mansion...) I've managed to pile over 12 games onto my Switch so far and I don't regret a single purchase (although I don't remember Wonder Boy being so fucking hard!) 

First party games alone have accumulated well over 200 hours of play, probably well more if you include the time my 5 year old has spent with ARMS and Mario Kart (well done Nintendo for making games that are both so accessible to young kids and fun enough that even if he's losing he's having great fun!) 

Despite myself I bought Splatoon 2 at the weekend and I just know that's going to eat hours too. 

Without a doubt the Switch is the greatest console ever conceived. 

It's a worse phone than the N-Gage though... 

• Upvote 7

Cex by ours are selling second hand  switches for £325. 

Amazon et al are selling them new for £319 with splatoon 

who is buying them from cex? 

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

People who have to trade stuff in to afford it.

Bit of a rip off though, they had about 4 games all of which were priced higher than shopto or amazon. 

29 minutes ago, partious said:

I believe it. We have maniacs on this forum who sell and rebuy the same console about 4 times per gen.

To be fair I owned 3x 360's and 2x Wii U's. Don't think I lost any money on those transactions though.

But this is the Switch we're talking about. 

43 minutes ago, And said:

Bit of a rip off though, they had about 4 games all of which were priced higher than shopto or amazon. 

And that's why they have a business, it's been their MO forever.  They take in more things for trade than most others, so they're a de facto monopoly.

At times they're barely better than BrightHouse.

3 hours ago, partious said:

If (and I appreciate this is unlikely), you didn't price gouge, how does selling a console with the intention of buying it again a few months later make any sense?

I see the same comment here about every console. Surely it results in a loss of money or at least just breaking even?

I was going to sell on my xbone recently as I don't play it much and more of an issue is having 4 consoles all wired up to the main Telly - then I remembered that i often buy a machine years later so moved it into one of the kids room for them to play.

If you need the money and it's not used then of course sell them in but selling to buy again later is madness esp with Nintendo and saves now being lost forever :(

Also there's quite a nice feeling to getting rid of things you don't use.

Especially when they're adding to the guilt of "things to play/watch etc."

• Upvote 4

If you trade stuff into CEX for cash, you get less value than credit.

So you can either take the less value and go buy a new one cash or go for more value and get a used one from them.

I suppose it doesn't really matter too much but for me at those price points I would much rather have the new thing!

I found it very difficult to part with my PS3 a couple of months ago. And I have a PS4!

See also: trading in my old 3DS XL when I now have a new3DS.

I've been scarred ever since I gave away my Megadrive, with some absolute gems in my games collection, to the neighbour. I do trade in games I don't play but I won't get rid of certain consoles! My GameCube is still in my old bedroom.

2 minutes ago, sprite said:

I found it very difficult to part with my PS3 a couple of months ago. And I have a PS4!

See also: trading in my old 3DS XL when I now have a new3DS.

I've been scarred ever since I gave away my Megadrive, with some absolute gems in my games collection, to the neighbour. I do trade in games I don't play but I won't get rid of certain consoles! My GameCube is still in my old bedroom.

Man, I have a PS3 still and I hate the PS3 with a passion and yet I own NO 360, Snes, N64 - the fuck is wrong with me! I was gutted to sell on my n3DS but I had to really as I hadn't played on it in a year and needed to justify the Switch - helps that the kids have 3ds/2ds so can still play a game if i wanted (I haven't obv)

Will a US Amazon.com Switch download code work in the UK? 

I have a $150 of gift voucher on the US store, that I can't use on the Amazon uk.... advise appreciated :)

1 minute ago, rubberducker said:

I have a $150 of gift voucher on the US store, that I can't use on the Amazon uk.... advise appreciated :)

If you create a US account on your switch i don't see why not.

54 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Man, I have a PS3 still 

Yeah but you sold one once, remember? :)

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yeah but you sold one once, remember? :)

Aye to some shady character, to be fair at the time I had two of them :doh: and the one I have now was bought after both those were sold :doh::doh:

On 7/24/2017 at 01:07, partious said:

If (and I appreciate this is unlikely), you didn't price gouge, how does selling a console with the intention of buying it again a few months later make any sense?

I see the same comment here about every console. Surely it results in a loss of money or at least just breaking even?

Certainly didn't gouge on it, that's not my cup of tea at all.

It was bought to play Zelda and has been gathering dust since I finished it so what's the point in hanging on to it? I can spend that money elsewhere in the meantime. I don't mind losing a few dollars so a non issue really.

Sadly not interested in Arms and didn't enjoy Splatoon at all so why keep it?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sir shrew said:

I think Len's post might be bait. 

"I sold the console on because outside of Zelda it just isn't worth keeping."

Sure mate.

:lol:

Bait for what?!?

Why keep it when I'm not using it? I already said I thought it was an excellent little machine but there is nothing I, personally, want to play on it at the moment. It's quite simple. 

• Upvote 6

I'm personally glad people do this.  I'm currently waiting for delivery of a switch I bought on the forum from someone who didn't have time to use it.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Len said:

:lol:

Bait for what?!?

Why keep it when I'm not using it? I already said I thought it was an excellent little machine but there is nothing I, personally, want to play on it at the moment. It's quite simple. 

You're very interested in Splatoon 2, you're just not aware of it. ^_^

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rubberducker said:

Yes it will. Bought a Japanese code for Disgaea before it came out here and it was fine. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I'll never understand people selling and re-buying consoles.

I can understand people doing it if they're having major cash flow problems and don't have the funds to hand for something else they need or want. What I find almost impossible to believe is that this is a widespread problem on the internet's most middle class discussion board.

• Upvote 3

I'm not selling my Switch as I bleeding love it, but I do wish Nintendo catered more for those of us that like single player games. I know that Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart are really good games, but they are all predominantly multi player. I love my Switch as I find it a fantastic handheld device, and I've always had a massive soft spot for handheld gaming. However handheld gaming for me has always been a single player experience. 

• Upvote 8

29 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I'm not selling my Switch as I bleeding love it, but I do wish Nintendo catered more for those of us that like single player games. I know that Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart are really good games, but they are all predominantly multi player. I love my Switch as I find it a fantastic handheld device, and I've always had a massive soft spot for handheld gaming. However handheld gaming for me has always been a single player experience. 

Just play Metal Slug and Neo Turf masters ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Splatoon is only multiplayer in terms of being online - it's not at all multiplayer in terms of needing more than one person in the room with you. In fact, I don't think it has a mode of more than one person per Switch does it? It's just you (and four predominantly random buddies) against the world/salmonoids.

Splatoon's single player campaign is so consistently inventive and surprising and humorous that it's worth the price of entry on its own. It has the spirit of Mario 3D World in the way it introduces fresh concepts in a new stage then expands upon them before twisting them further. The bosses provide incredible spectacle without being dull bullet-sponge blockades. There are hidden items to reward experimentation and exploration and some of them benefit you in other modes. As well received as the first game was, both critically and in terms of sales, the solo campaign did not see as much praise as it deserved.

Splatoon 2 saves your fastest times for each stage as well as which weapon you completes them with so there's plenty to get stuck into.

• Upvote 8