rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Yeah, I think there still will be a WiiU version (as well). Otherwise that'd make the WiiU the first Nintendo console without a proper Zelda game. It'd be tantamount to blasphemy!

Along with Virtual Boy, which is the only Nintendo console that will be remembered as a worse commercial flop.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Will Nintendo really be ditching the whole DS/3DS twin screen form factor for NX? The impression i'm getting from the discussions is that they should as its run its course.

Yeah, I think there still will be a WiiU version (as well). Otherwise that'd make the WiiU the first Nintendo console without a proper Zelda game. It'd be tantamount to blasphemy!

It will still be the first 3D Nintendo console to only get a single original Zelda game though, both the N64 and GameCube and even the Wii (if you cheat a bit) managed 2 new Zelda games. This is starting to remind me of Team ICO's output rate, though I'm sure they won't skip an entire console generation.

I never expect more then one Zelda a generation, aka, one every 5-6 years. Say what you want but it's one of the aspects that keeps the series special.

• Upvote 1

At the current output rate, that's about as much as they'll likely be able to produce going forward. The 3DS is looking like it'll also only get a single new game in the series.

Nintendo never go for the state-of-the-art though do they? Its all stuff they can mass-produce cheaply, which I doubt could be done with something the size of a tablet with the power of (at least) a Wii U.

Nintendo never go for the state-of-the-art though do they? Its all stuff they can mass-produce cheaply, which I doubt could be done with something the size of a tablet with the power of (at least) a Wii U.

Glasses-free 3D wasn't exactly mainstream. They could cut corners on the likes of the memory (8GB included, upgradeable with microSD) and use a smaller version of the Wii U components - like GameCube to Wii. Plus it'd be marketed as a replacement for both systems. I think it's a viable proposition - NX for £250, then sell the shells and TV streamer separately.

I never expect more then one Zelda a generation, aka, one every 5-6 years. Say what you want but it's one of the aspects that keeps the series special.

Nintendo have released a Zelda game every other year for at least the past decade, and have released several remakes on top of that.

Which is why I moan about Nintendo milking franchises.

Nintendo have released a Zelda game every other year for at least the past decade, and have released several remakes on top of that.

So...five new Zelda games in ten years? And two of those were on the DS, one on the 3DS.

That's not really milking it, is it? Especially since the two 3DS remakes involved another developer.

I really can't see a new home console from Nintendo next year. Christmas 2017, perhaps, but not 2016.

I don't think there'll be a replacement for the 3DS in that time frame either.

One device to replace them both, in 2017? Possibly.

Expectation and what's actually happened are two different things. In my case not really counting handheld versions (or Majora N64, great as it was it's reused assets) has worked towards those expectations.

Still no 3D Mario released since 2009. Maybe this E3...

• Downvote 1

Expectation and what's actually happened are two different things. In my case not really counting handheld versions (or Majora N64, great as it was it's reused assets) has worked towards those expectations.

I don't really see Nintendo's handheld games as being any lesser to their home console games at this point.

Still no 3D Mario released since 2009. Maybe this E3...

And this seems like an odd distinction too. I didn't find Mario Galaxy to be any less linear than 3D Land (and presumably 3D World, which I haven't played).

I'm willing to bet that their next handheld comes with a Galaxy 1/2 port, as the waggle was mostly redundant. I'm slightly surprised they haven't ported them to 3DS as I don't remember much that the 3DS couldn't do.

I'm willing to bet that their next handheld comes with a Galaxy 1/2 port, as the waggle was mostly redundant. I'm slightly surprised they haven't ported them to 3DS as I don't remember much that the 3DS couldn't do.

Pointer aiming, which was used collecting/firing starbits, pullstars & the sections where Mario was in a bubble & the pointer became an airhorn to push him around.

Not much, admittedly. I guess they could either rework or simply remove all that without losing too much.

I don't discredit most Nintendo handheld stuff (though there's a fair bit of re-use there), I guess with Zelda there's a certain 'epic-ness' expectation scale that to me only the latest hardware can bring. I own both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, just didn't get into them as much as I would have liked, unlike the hype towards every console Zelda. Latest 3DS one annoys me for using LTTP Hyrule (but obviously it's redone in a new engine and whatnot). Re-beaten both OOT and Majora 3D though.

Your right about Galaxy 2, not so much Galaxy 1. Galaxy 2 and 3D World were still fun, just not to my expectations, pushed the franchise backwards not forwards.

The NEG Expectation Factor: No longer just 'is it better then Sonic3&K yet?' since 2006. Read with fine wine. Hardback edition £8.99

Since Nintendo have made it pretty clear that in spite of their partnership with DeNA the NX will be a dedicated games device, this means that whatever it ends up as in terms of form factor will be competing with Mobile & Tablet games instead of a substitution.

As such, the more compact the form factor Nintendo can come up with for it the better. Perhaps something like the PSP Go or Xperia Play?

As such, the more compact the form factor Nintendo can come up with for it the better. Perhaps something like the PSP Go or Xperia Play?

If I were looking for inspiration in creating a fantastic new gaming platform, those would definitely be at the top of my list to look at. They both did really well.

• Upvote 4

If I were looking for inspiration in creating a fantastic new gaming platform, those would definitely be at the top of my list to look at. They both did really well.

But was their performance because the tech itself was a bad idea, or that it wasn't supported properly?

But was their performance because the tech itself was a bad idea, or that it wasn't supported properly?

The PSP Go was a nice bit of kit but digital only, so you couldn't use any of your old games and were forced to buy all your software direct from Sony at stupidly high prices, it was the same internal specs as the PSP Slim, so didn't do anything ( much) better than the older models, and removed the ability to play games from UMD.

No idea on the Xperia, never had one.

The PSP Go was a nice bit of kit but digital only, so you couldn't use any of your old games and were forced to buy all your software direct from Sony at stupidly high prices, it was the same internal specs as the PSP Slim, so didn't do anything ( much) better than the older models, and removed the ability to play games from UMD.

No idea on the Xperia, never had one.

This brings up an interesting point. Do we think that Nintendo will ever embrace the concept of cheaper digital games or at least sales?

If a future machine of theirs was digital-only & saddled with e-shop prices, then I don't think it would matter how slick or well-designed it was.

This brings up an interesting point. Do we think that Nintendo will ever embrace the concept of cheaper digital games or at least sales?

If a future machine of theirs was digital-only & saddled with e-shop prices, then I don't think it would matter how slick or well-designed it was.

I'm sure I've seen some of their most recent games for £35 on their store. Can't remember if it was splatoon or that Toad game.