rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Jesus Christ APM, we literally just went through the drought caused by Nintendo finally catching up to every other developer circa 2007 in realising that HD development was an order of magnitude more complex and expensive last year. This is flat-earth fact-denial at this point.

I think people forget that making 360/PS3 games was a jump in expense because the Xbone/PS4 is another jump.

Do any WiiU games even need the Wii Remotes? I figure that some must support them as extra controllers the way the Wii supported classic controllers, pro controllers and GC pads but they aren't mandatory for anything, right?

They are for much of Nintendoland, yes.

That's only if you want to play multiplayer, like everything else on the machine. All WiiU software needs is the console and gamepad, everything else is purely preferential.

Oh give over, you know that digital involves less resources than retail

Yes, indeed. I'm sure Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies (digital download only) was substantially cheaper to produce than Trials and Tribulations (physical only).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's only if you want to play multiplayer, like everything else on the machine. All WiiU software needs is the console and gamepad, everything else is purely preferential.

Unless you want to play Wii Sports Club :)

Jesus Christ APM, we literally just went through the drought caused by Nintendo finally catching up to every other developer circa 2007 in realising that HD development was an order of magnitude more complex and expensive last year. This is flat-earth fact-denial at this point.

Well, that's not what I was saying. What I was asking is whether Nintendo's output on the Wii U, which has seen smaller games so far or revamped versions of 3DS games, like Captain Toad and Super Mario 3D World, and even New Super Mario Bros U, are more expensive to produce than the much larger Nintendo produced games on the Wii, like Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3? Bar Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros, Nintendo have not put out anything of the scale of its big games on the Wii. That is what I'm getting at.

I know that if games companies were to produce like for like game then the modern, HD equivalents would cost more, but Nintendo, as far as I can see, have not put games out to the scale of the games they had on the Wii.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I know that if games companies were to produce like for like game then the modern, HD equivalents would cost more, but Nintendo, as far as I can see, have not put games out to the scale of the games they had on the Wii.

Shouldn't you really be trying to compare like with like?

Super Mario 64 had a staff of less than 40, how many does a 3D Mario game now require?, and would you agree that number has been on a steady increase over the years? I'm also pretty sure the typical corporate employee does not expect to suffer for their art to the extent they would forgo a payrise every year or agree to only get paid if the game was commercially successful enough. The same for 2D Mario, you need to spend more on the same type of product now.

Do you really think the Zelda series does not follow exactly the same spiralling cost path as any other AAA game series, as it's the closest thing to the sort of expansive title put out by their competitors.

• Upvote 2

Well, that's not what I was saying. What I was asking is whether Nintendo's output on the Wii U, which has seen smaller games so far or revamped versions of 3DS games, like Captain Toad and Super Mario 3D World, and even New Super Mario Bros U, are more expensive to produce than the much larger Nintendo produced games on the Wii, like Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3? Bar Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros, Nintendo have not put out anything of the scale of its big games on the Wii. That is what I'm getting at.

Yeah, open-world Zelda has actually been revealed to be being made in Klik'n'Play.

Where do you get your info mushashi. Where did you find out that 40 people worked on Mario 64?

He counted the names in the credits.

• Upvote 1

you what would be cool? If nintendo managed to get a £10 a month subscription model where you add access to nintendo's entire back catalogue of games, on a platform that was designed for cross play on home and portable.

Kind of like NetfliX.... See what I did there? NX NetfliX???

Bah!

• Upvote 2

Imagine a device you can play on TV, turn off and put in your bag and carry on to the bus and continue playing with all the functionality you get at home. Surely that's next.

If it had a flexible 6"-7" touchscreen, and the guts of the console (mainboard based on tech like Nvidia's Tegra X1, wireless, battery, microSD etc) underneath - you could have a modular system that is basically a small tablet that can play Nintendo's mobile games, but can then be placed in either a foldable DS shell when you want it to be portable, or a Gamepad shell when you want to connect it to a TV.

Then you'd have a base station attached to the TV that the console could connect to wirelessly - and as that'd be cheap to produce, you could have one connected to every TV in the house if you wanted, so you could play on the big screen anywhere. As people have said, they'd just be adapting the Wii U wireless tech to go the other way.

The beauty of that system is that dual screen games are mandatory like the DS, and not an option like Wii U - either by splitting the flexible screen in half, or using the Gamepad & TV. So you could make it backwards compatible with the DS and Wii family and you'd only need to actually have one console.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think there still will be a WiiU version (as well). Otherwise that'd make the WiiU the first Nintendo console without a proper Zelda game. It'd be tantamount to blasphemy!

The DS didn't have a proper Zelda game either.

• Upvote 1

If it had a flexible 6"-7" touchscreen, and the guts of the console (mainboard based on tech like Nvidia's Tegra X1, wireless, battery, microSD etc) underneath - you could have a modular system that is basically a small tablet that can play Nintendo's mobile games, but can then be placed in either a foldable DS shell when you want it to be portable, or a Gamepad shell when you want to connect it to a TV.

Then you'd have a base station attached to the TV that the console could connect to wirelessly - and as that'd be cheap to produce, you could have one connected to every TV in the house if you wanted, so you could play on the big screen anywhere. As people have said, they'd just be adapting the Wii U wireless tech to go the other way.

The beauty of that system is that dual screen games are mandatory like the DS, and not an option like Wii U - either by splitting the flexible screen in half, or using the Gamepad & TV. So you could make it backwards compatible with the DS and Wii family and you'd only need to actually have one console.

Not a bad idea, are flexible screens advanced enough for this sort of thing? I'd have expected to see a clamshell mobile by now.