rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

When I plug the switch into the dock - i can't get a picture on my TV... also the little green light at the front of the dock comes on a fraction of a second then goes out....  there power going to the dock...

is my dock screwed?

46 minutes ago, DC07 said:

The morning after the launch before and I only just noticed the screen size needed lowering to 96% in the settings to fit my TV properly. I missed out on a good centimetre's worth of Zelda yesterday. :hmm:

You can adjust your Switch or you should be able to get your TV to display the full image aka underscan. Generally in the picture menu under 'size', 'screen fill' or 'screen fit'. It has the advantage of not scaling anything so your image should be noticeably sharper. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rubberducker said:

When I plug the switch into the dock - i can't get a picture on my TV... also the little green light at the front of the dock comes on a fraction of a second then goes out....  there power going to the dock...

is my dock screwed?

You may or may not be as silly as me but when I had that issue I had plugged the USB lead into the old port in error and not the USB C port...

The left Joy-Con problem has been quite severe for me. On my sofa I’m only 2m away from the TV / Switch and I am experiencing regular dropouts in the connection. I can more or less eliminate the problem by sitting right in front of the TV (about 1m away) but that’s hardly an ideal solution. 

No aquariums or microwaves under my TV but the wireless access point is there and I can’t move the Switch more than about 4 feet away from that, which doesn’t seem to be fixing the issue anyway.

I think interference must be the problem because if I set the Switch up in tabletop mode away from any wifi / bluetooth devices then the controller response is massively improved. I can get 4 - 5m away before the left Joy-Con starts struggling.

Really hope this can be fixed with a system update. I’m so glad I bought a pro controller in the meantime.

It’s such a nice bit of hardware though and Zelda is just fantastic :wub:

So after playing with the machine most of yesterday and this morning I'm in love. Ok I've only been playing Zelda but that's enough for now. 

A couple of things I do not like though...

The standard controller is too small for me....glad I bought the Pro controller. Much more comfortable.

The dock seems cheap and nasty to me. The rest of the items scream quality but that lets it down. Maybe I was expecting too much.

The whole screen capture integration is just superb....I fear my Twitter feed is going to be full of Zelda shots.

Utterly joyous magical bit of wonderment and I haven't even fired up Zelda yet! 

Friend code: SW-2861-8148-3899

(for anyone wanting get their bomberman on) 

• Upvote 1

I love everything about this console and haven't experienced any joycon drops.

my preferred way of playing it away from the TV is to prop it up using the official case and play with a joycon in each hand. My only wish is that the power socket was at the top rather than the bottom.

15 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Is the inside of the dock not lined with felt or something? If not that's a very strange manufacturing choice. It's so obviously a place where glass on plastic is going to be in contact and scraped..

It's not. It's also not a glass screen, it's plastic. So plastic on plastic.

• Upvote 1

Think my dock is broken. AC charging fine  plugged directly into console... but getting nothing once plugged into the dock.. the pass thru doesn't appear to work atall...

anyone else had this?

16 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You may or may not be as silly as me but when I had that issue I had plugged the USB lead into the old port in error and not the USB C port...

Thanjs :) but yeah seems like it's screwed .. :(

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Off to buy a Pro controller for SEVENTY fucking euro later today...

Best controller ever. We'll have to see in the long-run if they are actually worth this price however.

15 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I love everything about this console and haven't experienced any joycon drops.

my preferred way of playing it away from the TV is to prop it up using the official case and play with a joycon in each hand. My only wish is that the power socket was at the top rather than the bottom.

The official case turns out to be good value with the screen protector and case as I didn't not realise you can also prop the console with it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Fallows said:

Best controller ever. We'll have to see in the long-run if they are actually worth this price however.

I better be able to use it for the next 4 years. 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone played anything with two Switch's over local wifi yet?

If I wanted to play Bomberman this way, would we need two copies of the game?

6 minutes ago, simms said:

The official case turns out to be good value with the screen protector and case as I didn't not realise you can also prop the console with it.

Yeah it's great case, nice looking too. 

Be nice too if they or a third party released a power dock to play this way.

My friend code is sw-0895-0854-1204 if anyone wants to add me. I can't find the forum option to edit my signature though. I thought it would be under settings but I don't seem to be able to select that.

*Edit* Found it

Remember when we were all pre-ordering and that one guy cancelled and bought a cheapo Windows tablet with some weird controllers and it turned out it couldn't run much of anything games wise anyway?

I :wub: my Switch.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I better be able to use it for the next 4 years. 

That's what I mean. I'm still using my 360 pad for all things PC after five years. Everything is still good other than the rubber from the analogues wearing all the way down to the bone.

The official carry case is excellent everyone, by the way. Slots for five carts inside and a pocket for the grips. It looks nice and 'adult' when all packed up too, with very discrete branding on either side - you don't really see the logos until they catch the light.

So I went on to Amazon and was actually shocked to see Bomberman R at £62.

There doesn't seem to be anything to justify that price, and it feels to me that Nintendo maybe persuaded Konami to make it retail/expand it a little bit to be worth that cost but jeeez. I mean every console since the Wii/360 generation has had a downloadable Bomberman at $10, I see that happening a few months down the line cause £62.... I mean if it was £62 last year, conversion rate puts it at about $100... for Bomberman.

Idk I love Bomberman, I truly do and I think hes a very important mascot - I really want him to be in Smash Bros... but this is cray. I wonder if it'll drop down to £10 soon and people will regret buying it at launch.

Anyway can anyone send me a Switch and Zelda? I really want to play it but theres no way I could afford it. I will bake you a cake.

Definitely didn't just add fifty quid to pick up Not Wipeout and I Am Setsuna which clearly I won't have time to touch this weekend because of Zelda.

oh launch madness how I love you... (my bank manager and wife may feel differently).

Yeah man, Shovel Knight is tempting me (22 quid wot), and so is I am Setsuna (which I have on PS4).

:(

I got Shovel Knight just for something else to play. I will eventually get I am Setsuna but not until I finish up with Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect.

After spending only 10 mins in RMX I think I'm happy to wait for other things to come out. Zelda is going to last me ages anyway. Metal Slug is the only thing tempting me for now but will probably resist. 

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If people are having issues with the joycon connectoon, have they tried changing their router wifi channel? The top three or four channels in a 2.5GHz signal are known to cause Bluetooth interference.

I've had the signal drop on my left joycon, whereas I've never had the signal drop on a DS3, DS4, 360 or Xbox One* controller over a 10 year period, and that's with the signal passing through a double brick wall because my Xbox and PlayStation consoles live in the understairs cupboard (right next to the router!).

* except on the Xbone due to the known issue with the original model - no drops since I got the S version

Yesterday I tested the Pro controller, placing the Switch in the same cupboard (so the signal had to pass through the double brick wall to the Switch located next to the router) and it was fine. It's most definitely an issue with the joycons.

• Upvote 1

Theres really not much to the dock. I'm tempted to take it apart and make something nice out of wood to hold it. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah I get signal drop but always down to my leg getting in the way. 

Played Zelda in the Car today. Not any old Zelda a huge massive brand new Zelda. Mind blowing. 

• Upvote 1

@Jonny5

I'd like a horizontal dock as there's not really anywhere convenient in my lounge, whereas I have a nice space under the TV it would fit into. I'm guessing that's not practical with the fan on the top edge of the switch.