IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

They're aiming at the middle of the year for T&J's release. I don't know if that's all platforms or just the PC, Mac and Linux versions. Before yesterday they were holding back on what other platforms it was going to be released on. They're working on networking and the game's ending at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I don't know how you can score a games console so objectively to come up with a 6.7

Especially when a good chunk of stuff that you might consider factoring-in, is locked pending a day 1 update.

The rush to be first with reviews and things now is absolutely at the cost of reliable, well-researched material IMO.

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I don't know how you can score a games console so objectively to come up with a 6.7

Well, they summarised with the following:

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise.

They also mention there is no way to lie it down when hooked to a TV without making it hard to access the cartridge port and stuff, so it has to be somewhere it can stand up in the dock.

Also, the 6.7 is a "if I had to score it right now", rather than a final score, so it's possible it may change once day one stuff comes out. 

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

I think it looks awful. 

I think it looks awful there also, but going by the "in the flesh" reports, I'm more than happy with my neon decision. (And you can't judge a screen on a photo of said screen.)

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

I don't know, it just feels like parts of the press and gamers at large just don't really get it. 

'Dont get it' or are 'out to get it' ^_^ I reckon it's the latter.

Seems to me like the press have been out to crucify it since the beginning. They have been comparing it to the PS4 and xbox in terms of power which I think is wrong. It's like comparing a purpose built desktop pc with one of those laptops where it folds the wrong way to become a large tablet. Yes they have similarities but they have been designed for different markets and to meet different consumer needs and requirements. 

If you want gaming with some flexibility, the ability to take it anywhere and still get some fairly high spec games then the switch is ideal. If you plan to sit in your moms basement with a huge tv and no intention to move anywhere then yes the PS4 or Xbox one is more suitable ^_^ 

The switch is "unique", it has similarities to other products available but I don't see how it can be compared like for like with the current next gen consoles. 

As for the pics, it looks lovely, though the image of the screen doesn't look great. I wouldn't let that sway your decision, I could make a brand spanking new 4k tv look crap with a dodgy camera, rubbish lighting and the wrong settings ^_^ 

This is pretty damning though, from the Digital Foundry review. I mean, it's all well and good to say just point it at the screen then, but games like 1, 2 Switch are specifically designed for you not to do that.

joycon range.PNG

16 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

DigitalFoundry say you can get seven hours of battery life with a power bank as a negative. Who's going to be playing games out and about without access to a plug for over seven hours!? I'd struggle to manage seven hours continuous gaming on my phone for gods sake, and that's not powering Zelda. 

I don't know, it just feels like parts of the press and gamers at large just don't really get it. 

I just watched the DigitalFoundry and came to post about their battery nonsense too. I that they complained that using a cheap £15 external battery pack got them only a measly 4 extra hours on top of the system. Like what the hell are you nerds complaining about!

If I find myself playing a handheld for over 6 hours between charges then I've got bigger things to worry about because the apocalypse would be upon us... that or Monster Hunter is actually released for the Switch.

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

This is pretty damning though, from the Digital Foundry review. I mean, it's all well and good to say just point it at the screen then, but games like 1, 2 Switch are specifically designed for you not to do that.

joycon range.PNG

That's not really conclusive though. I mean it's been a while since I did any form of analysis like that (probably secondary school Science) but things I'm asking of that are -

What was the obstruction?

How was the joy cons held? (I.e. Was this tested whilst playing a game? If so were they all with the same game? Was it the milking game on the 1, 2 switch for example).

As for the 1, 2 switch game I don't know all that much about it, but when playing the games how many of them do you hold the joy cons behind an object? How many of them do you play with the joy cons behind your back? Do the joy cons have issues when playing the milking game like the advert in that you are stood side on and holding the control in a manner that every other person would play it?

The results there don't tell us a lot in my opinion without the circumstances in which they were used are also layed out for us.

Personally the games I am getting the switch for are the likes of Zelda, fire emblem warriors, the indie games, generally the ones that hopefully this issue will not affect. I may be wrong and if so then I am sure I will be having a good moan :D 

I can still see this being sorted for launch date, it would be the only reason to me that Nintendo have not addressed it, is if they do not think it will be an issue. In that they have possibly already resolved it.

8 minutes ago, Majora said:

joycon range.PNG

Yeah, no, something needs to be done there. Ninty still haven't said anything so we don't know if there could be a fix in the day one patch, though. 

10 minutes ago, Majora said:

joycon range.PNG

'obstructed' means things in the way of the remote... 

10 minutes ago, Majora said:

joycon range.PNG

for 1-2 Switch just sit within 1m of it, its portable anyway. You wouldnt necessarilly have to sit 2 or even 3m away from the unit, anything more than 3m would be highly unlikely in the UK, most people dont live in massive houses.

IGN is probably the worst gaming site on the web now - catering for Mountain Dew guzzling american male teens... Even just looking at the website hurts my brain.  I think it's a given that they won't really be up for the Switch and will continue to spout 'Nintendo lol babies' for the foreseeable.

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

'obstructed' means things in the way of the remote... 

Yeah but like I said, games where you grip a joycon in your hand, like a lot of the stuff in 1, 2 Switch or ARMS are specifically designed for you not to be pointing at the screen and to be covering the whole controller. In fact 1, 2 Switch constantly tells you not to look at the screen.

From the write-up:

However, there is an issue if either controller is too heavily obstructed, and the left-side controller definitely appears to have a weaker connection than its sibling. Each Joy-Con loses signal once covered completely with your hands, or put behind your back. Even at two metres, the left Joy-Con's connection starts to break up when held obstructed, leaving a choppier circular movement on the calibration screen. Keeping it in that position, that progresses to a more erratic signal at three metres, and practically no connection at six metres. But pointing the control forward again, it works again immediately.

By comparison, the right Joy-Con doesn't show these symptoms to the same extent, but they are there. The break-up in signal kicks in only slightly at five metres in that case, and again, only with the control held behind your back. Even swapping hands to account for a difference in angle, it's fair to say the left Joy-Con has bigger issues when obstructed.

Even then, they get occasional random disconnects when just playing normally:

Out of the entire Eurogamer team, editor Oli Welsh has spent the most time with the system as he reviews The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. For the vast majority of the experience, gameplay has been flawless. However, on a couple of occasions, the left Joy-Con did appear to lose contact - with no obvious obstruction between controller and console. The Switch was docked and only 1m away from the Joy-Con. On a few other occasions, in similar circumstances, control was disrupted, with the Joy-Con unresponsive or responding erratically to movement inputs on the stick. On all occasions, the disruption lasted a few seconds and then fixed itself.

There's clearly some kind of issue with the left joycon.

Just been watching last gamers thoughts, he wasnt blown away either. Dont think ive seen a positive review yet. The hardware looks flimsy and very underwhelming. Its gonna be a hard sell for Nintendo.