Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I just feel it in my bones.  There's a handheld ready to go if the Switch numbers aren't like the 3DS numbers.  

People point to the 3rd pillar talk and say it's the same this time, but it's not as if Nintendo ever really put all their eggs in one basket or bet it all on grey, the follow-up to the Game Boy Advance was completed and then shelved when the DS became a massive success so for the 1 pillar to become true, the Nintendo Switch will have to blow the fucking doors off to stop the 3DS successor from being released. They certainly haven't priced it as a 3DS successor, which flew off the shelves at a mere $250... if my hazy failing memory serves me correctly.

9 hours ago, koefoed said:

If they provided apps for Youtube and Twitch I would consider buying one.

But I find the entire Switch concept such a difficult thing to place. Who will buy this? I can't see a market for this console.

I hate logging in and seeing 25+ unread pages sometimes as this has probably been quoted a lot but.... me and this is a handheld games console you can also play on your big telly set. There's quite a big market for this type of device all over the planet. An app for Youtube? What, that ubiquitous app you can probably get on a smart fridge.

Of course it'll have apps like Youtube and Netflix (no doubt) and all the other usual apps. If it doesn't, I'll be furious and have to use one of my other 16 devices instead.

While apps for Netflix etc. are ubiquitous, one thing they do is keep you using a device which helps forms a habit of turning it on and makes your investment feel worthwhile so you're more inclined to spend money on services to use with it.

I barely used my PS4 a year ago but over the past few months, my time playing games on it has increased in-keeping with the time I use it for Netflix, WWE and now even YouTube. I can do all of these things on my laptop/PC/phone/iPad/Wii/Wii U. It's even built into my TV!

But the PS4 feels like it has increased value now. Because once I've finished watching something, I go back to the home screen and I'm instantly reminded of the games available I could play. And the opposite is true when I've stopped playing a game and the logo for Netflix is straight away in my face. I don't have to change channel or wait for another machine to turn on, I can do what I want straight away. There's a huge convenience if I can keep my activity to as few devices as possible.

The more you use something, the more you want to use it. I'm sure someone's done a psychological study on it. Someone very smart who likes my fresh perspective.

I really really liked last Arlo video on youtube about the Switch.

He is enthusiastic, but insightful and critical when It has to be.

I liked so much that I moved my patreon pledges from Jim Sterling to him.

Last Jim Sterling video was a audible version of the bullshit I can read on neogaf anyway.

Netflix I'm not arsed one bit about... During my free month I only watched Stranger Things, plus a load of 80s classic action movies that I already have on my HDD.

However, a general media player that could play all of the stuff I download illegally would be most welcome. I think. Actually my phone is good enough for that. 

28 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Netflix I'm not arsed one bit about... During my free month I only watched Stranger Things, plus a load of 80s classic action movies that I already have on my HDD.

However, a general media player that could play all of the stuff I download illegally would be most welcome. I think. Actually my phone is good enough for that. 

Is this the most redundant forum post in our history?

36 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Is this the most redundant forum post in our history?

It did start out like that, until I had a think about general media playing capabilities. Do we know if the Switch can play MOV, MP4, MKV, etc.? What was on the dash? 

6 hours ago, Camel said:

You don't need Netflix

Well that's a bit far, but if you say so.  

So, do I get extra points for quoting out of context too?   Double points since you posted less words?

5 hours ago, Barnard said:

Don't be rude to the non-regulars!

His other points were quite good. 

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Shoes said:

Were they?

"I see it as a slightly more important feature than backwards compatibility - something that folk talk about as indispensable, then never use."

????????

And thanks again.  I do sometimes need a reminder why I haven't made  1,000 posts here in 13th of registration.. 

On the subject of price.  It's fine.  Less than a launch ps4 or xbone,  more than a wii u,  but less than a wii u and a 3ds which is the usp  (perhaps).  I think the price is the least of their worries..