IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

55 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Most of the people here who aren't into this are the type who won't play Nintendo games anyway... regardless of platform

I'm not into this, but I love Nintendo games. Mad eh?

10 minutes ago, gingerling said:

Battery drain durr

Does no one 'do' those USB battery packs here in the West? Literally 90% of people carry one around with them in SEA. I usually have my phone plugged into one port and my 3DS into the other. Battery pack and phone stay in my bag. It's pretty tidy and seamless.

With both phone and 3DS on a full charge I have no idea how long I'd get out of playing online. A very long time probably, I've never come close to running out of battery and I've been away from a power socket for up to twelve hours before now.

13 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Does no one 'do' those USB battery packs here in the West? Literally 90% of people carry one around with them in SEA. I usually have my phone plugged into one port and my 3DS into the other. Battery pack and phone stay in my bag. It's pretty tidy and seamless.

With both phone and 3DS on a full charge I have no idea how long I'd get out of playing online. A very long time probably, I've never come close to running out of battery and I've been away from a power socket for up to twelve hours before now.

It depends on whether this device can run off of USB though doesn't it?  Most Mobile Devices can, but IIRC the 3DS could but the Vita couldn't.

20 minutes ago, scottcr said:

So Breath of the Wild and new Mario will come out but you won't get it?

Maybe. I dunno. I never got a WiiU.

I'm just not interested in it being a handheld and I'd feel a bit ripped off having to buy everything that makes it one when I won't ever use it that way.

I might just pick up a second hand WiiU and mop up everything I missed, as long as Zelda is still coming out for it.

I don't understand why they're clamming up about info until NEXT YEAR.

Like despite the moaning about "haterz" it's been warmly welcomed across the Internet, why not get all the information on its features out there? They'll never talk about specs, and they don't need to nail down a launch lineup this early, but it's baffling they're not listing pricepoints and the full featureset. Compare and contrast to the PS4 unveiling.

27 minutes ago, Jarik said:

It depends on whether this device can run off of USB though doesn't it?  Most Mobile Devices can, but IIRC the 3DS could but the Vita couldn't.

I'll be amazed if the screen was unable to charge from USB.

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't understand why they're clamming up about info until NEXT YEAR.

To me Nintendo are saying, "okay here's the Switch, check how rad it looks. Might be worth holding off on that new PS4 or Xbox, eh? Okay, we'll be back to talk more Switch in the new year, now go and buy Pokemon on 3DS which is definitely not being replaced!"

Today I've spent the afternoon with my in-laws arguing with my other half about selling their house. I've mostly been playing Wind Waker on my Wii U gamepad and dreaming of owning a Switch. I can see why someone might not want or need the handheld component or whatever, but I'm going to love it. LOVE IT.

Unless it turns out to be proper pony, that is, but I'm willing to let myself be positive at this stage.

Laura Dale has a deep dive but her site has gone down

I am VERY confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch screen is a touch screen, but that is not core to most gameplay.
I’ll be there for menus, for drawing, for certain games like Mario Maker port etc.
I’m confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch’s screen is a multi-touch screen.
As all Nintendo Switch games need to be playable with the handheld in the console dock, all Switch games will be playable without touch.

There is also a rumoured devkit spec out there which says 10-point capacitive multitouch. I don't see any reason for Nintendo to be evasive if it isn't there, only if it is and they want to unveil it properly later, same with the Apps stuff.

Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life. Source B (Ubisoft) has said a maximum battery life of three hours.

Honestly not unexpected.

I reckon a touch screen is nailed on (not literally yo). It would allow for a ton of mobile games to be ported across giving it a huge boost over PS4/XB1. I know, I know, mobile games, schmobile games, but that's a massive back catalogue of titles, not all free-to-play bobbins, many written in Unity, that will appeal to many who wouldn't typically buy a console.

Dongles get hot and they're prone to losing their connection and they're simply less reliable than a plug in base unit. I think Nintendo have made the right choice there for Switch package. A dongle could be provided as an optional accessory for those who would for some reason prefer that option. 

The mediocre battery life leans more toward Maxwell so Tegra X1 but it also wouldn't be unusual for a Devkit/Prototypes to use an older chip, Pascal based Tegra's haven't been finalised for very long, I'm sure they will want better than mediocre battery life, so I'm going Pascal based GPU, Denver based CPU for the final product planting it firmly in Xbox One territory which is a shit load of power for Nintendo.

46 minutes ago, dataDave said:

I'll be amazed if the screen was unable to charge from USB.

Surely they've thought about this.  People taking their handheld on trips but leaving the console base at home.  So more than likely you'll be able to charge it on the go and the console base is just ease of access.

-

Also, apparently all the hardware is built into the tablet itself, and the console base is basically just a charge station that relays the image to the HDMI connected to your tv.  It does nothing else to improve graphics, and the game will run the same on the big screen as it does on the tablet.

It may be possible they lower the rendering resolution on the tablet though, to save power, but no word on that.

16 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

Custom joy-cons? (from Reddit by way of Metafilter). Seemed like a good idea until I imagined having a basket full of the things.

xedi3b0v5bfx.png

Honestly, I love this idea.  I just hope games won't make it mandatory if they use such a thing.  Imagine going on a trip and accidentally bringing the wrong joy-con.  Rip.

3 hours ago, Jon said:

'Can I buy the new Nintendo home console for little Billy please, Mr Game?'

'Sure. First up you need to buy this handheld for £200.'

'But I didn't ask for a handheld.'

'Well, you need it. Then you have to buy this dock for £100 to be able to play it on your TV.'

'Oh, and he'll probably be wanting this controller. Yours for an extra £50.'

'But he doesn't want a handheld.'

'How much are the PS4 and Xbox One again?'

What about when people other than you go to buy one?

18 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Also, apparently all the hardware is built into the tablet itself, and the console base is basically just a charge station that relays the image to the HDMI connected to your tv.  It does nothing else to improve graphics, and the game will run the same on the big screen as it does on the tablet.

It may be possible they lower the rendering resolution on the tablet though, to save power, but no word on that.

By supplying mains power when docked it absolutely means they can improve the graphics. All these mobile chips are fantastic on paper, but in reality when confined in portable devices they're always constrained by battery and heat so run at a much more balanced spec.

As I mentioned in a previous post think about laptop gaming and the GPU/CPU power saving options. When you plug them into the mains everything can be cranked up as you're not worrying about conserving battery power.

12 minutes ago, Broker said:

What about when people other than you go to buy one?

I've said loads of times already, if it suit your gaming habits, then brilliant. I'm just questioning how many people will fall into that small demographic of people who want a handheld/home console hybrid. Maybe everyone will want one. Maybe less people than the WiiU. Nobody knows yet, it's all speculation.

We don't live in a Broker vacuum. Other people want different things. I'm just pointing out how it might not be the right console for some people.

32 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Laura Dale has a deep dive but her site has gone down

There is also a rumoured devkit spec out there which says 10-point capacitive multitouch. I don't see any reason for Nintendo to be evasive if it isn't there, only if it is and they want to unveil it properly later, same with the Apps stuff.

Honestly not unexpected.

Do bare in mind that she also thinks the dock has extra processing capability in it while nintendo have said something that could be taken either way. Also dev kits rarely meet the final specs or capabilities of a final until, until they are full production that is. They may lump in less than optimum batteries as most of the time it's not a critical thing to worry about. 3 Hours also isn't that bad when you consider the quality of graphics it's putting out. Far better stuff than any phone or tablet.