IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

10 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Well the tegra chip they're using is made for portable devices.  And the joy-con controllers that attach to the tablet seem to have their own batteries within them.  So battery life may actually be decent.

Hopefully the tegra chip they're using is from the new Pascal line.  Maxwell is fine, but if they're using pascal it'll have even more power efficiency meaning even longer battery life.  So you'd think that would be the one they go for.

Mentioned before but its being reported that it has low battery life.

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Like the Shield is £170, and lasts for like two hours, and isn't as powerful. Be reasonable.

nVidia couldn't design a console with a Oujia Board and directions to Gunpei Yokoi's grave if the Shield line is any indication, I wouldn't read too much into that.

19 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Well the tegra chip they're using is made for portable devices.  And the joy-con controllers that attach to the tablet seem to have their own batteries within them.  So battery life may actually be decent.

Hopefully the tegra chip they're using is from the new Pascal line.  Maxwell is fine, but if they're using pascal it'll have even more power efficiency meaning even longer battery life.  So you'd think that would be the one they go for.

Yeah, but... a lot of the stuff in those processors is to cleverly turn off cores when they aren't needed, and to have different size cores for various workloads. There is other clever stuff in there, but if you have a demanding game running it's going to spin cores and burn battery. Probably more so if you are targeting something in the realm of the current gen.

Its very likely that it'll downgrade performance in mobile mode. It might involve frame rate hits as well as resolution. But I expect you can tell it to use the full juice, if you are content your battery will be done within an hour. I expect there'll also be mobile targeted games that advertise they can go for ages, on account of using a fraction of the resources available.

10 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Looking at the games shown, I'd wager it's Wii U level graphically, as the Wii was to GC. I'd guess £250. But already talk of lacklustre battery life and tying storage to the dock unit... 

If it is Pascal based it'll be significantly better than a Wii U, and has the potential to be in the XB1-PS4 range, depending what they've done with it. Yoive significantly more RAM, regardless.

My guess is a little shy of XB1 on raw numbers, but potentially making some of the difference up in real world performance and not even pretending to give a fuck about 1080p.

58 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Could do with a little bumpin' background music. 

EDIT: Seriously play your video back with this song in the background. 10.000+ subs insta-get.

Thanks. I actually updated the video, as i really should have included the music. Didn't use the jackass thing, ill keep it in mind. Wonder if it will trigger copyright though.

35 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Mentioned before but its being reported that it has low battery life.

Meaningless really.  Nobody has a production unit.   Dev kits could have any old battery (or be tethered to a power cable),   older - more power hungry chipsets etc.   Nintendo might not even have decided on battery size yet.   

13 minutes ago, kensei said:

My guess is a little shy of XB1 on raw numbers, but potentially making some of the difference up in real world performance and not even pretending to give a fuck about 1080p.

When docked with the console, it will render in 1080p on your tv.

My Take

I just don't see them using this to replace their hand held model completely. Nobody could come near Nintendo in that Market. so why do they want to move away from it? I read some of Pickfords posts and I think from a dev point of view, Nintendo want to focus their development on the one product. But why risk this when the DS is so profitable. I can only come to the conclusion that they will either make an portable only version of the switch.... Which sounds a bit daft really Or if they see the switch as a device that will belong to a market of people who don't buy consoles and handhelds. I would be one of those people and that's why this product is so appealing to me.

I love the fact that they did a brief show case of games to come. Mario / Mario Kart / Skyrim (regardless of the version) etc... look good.

Pro controller looks good but I'll bet anything it's bought Separately. Nobody really mentioned that. There is no way in hell Nintendo will ship a system with 2x controllers. They haven't done that since the SNES days.

Also regarding the controllers when they are in "separated" mode so they can be used individually. I see this as one of those gimmicks that Nintendo tries on some of their games but not all. It won't always be ideal, it won't work in this mode for all games and most 3rd party publishers won't use it as they just want to port their games directly and might require more grey matter to work correctly like this. Think of the use of the second controller in Mario galaxy to collect stars on screen. you just waved the controller around a bit. Very forgettable experience. 

I would love to know the specs of this thing. Especially if this has an Ethernet port or if i need to spend money on Nintendo Peripherals again like a chump.

All in all, I am excited about it. If it has Zelda on Launch its a no brainer for most people.

I'm really curious about how the "docking" will work. The dock itself looks substantial - larger than would be required to simply provide power and HDMI output. It seems like Nintendo are saying that's all it does though... was hoping for some kind of integrated / external graphics switching action. It also seems like the tablet portion of the switch includes a fan exhaust at the top - I suspect this would remain turned off in handheld mode, with the processor clocked down accordingly, to conserve battery life as much as anything.

The concept seems really nice. I was kind of on board when I heard about the whole NX thing, and I need something to play Breath of the Wild on anyway as I skipped the Wii U. Totally getting this. Hope it has decent media functionality or is at least hackable too, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to function as a sort of Kindle Fire competitor.

Not sold on this really. More gimmacks, underpowered hardware potentially and possibly a high entry price point. I hope to be proven wrong but as I skipped the Wii U for the first time of a Nintendo console, I'd like this to be something I 'want' to own. I still think Nintendo should refocus on gaming for other consoles/PC even; they would making a killing.

I would be surprised if it reaches 3 hours of play time on the battery.

Which is not much, but enough for most of people.

I still see this thing as a living room/bed room off-tv gaming device.

There is something about potential portability that I feel attracted to.

I have just finished building this little funny pc, a bit silly with a handle and oversized lunchbox shape.

I love it, even though I would take it around very rarely. The fact that is ready to go makes it appealing to me

Same with boomboxes, and of course with the switch.

IMG_20161021_001457.jpg

Okay so I've been researching information on tegra chips.  And there are several variants.  But the X1 tegra chip produced in the maxwell series can produce up to around 1tflop.  That's 300gflops short of the Xbox One (1.3 tflops), and 800gflops short of the PS4 (1.8 tflops).   I believe the Wii U was somewhere around 350 gflops.

This means the GPU will be almost 3 times more powerful than the Wii U but fall short of the Xbox one and Ps4, if they only use the maxwell series variant of tegra. (Still better visuals than the wii u though..)

But if they use the pascal iteration (which is the newer chip, so it's likely), you're looking at a potential 1.5tflops in the GPU.  It's a custom chip however, so some corners may be cut to save money, and the tflop rating may be lower, around 1.2-1.3 tflops for a pascal tegra, putting it on par with the Xbox One.

But the chip will obviously be based on either maxwell or pascal, if they're looking for decent power efficiency in their gaming handheld.

Here's hoping they customized the pascal chip.  And this may be the likeliest considering all the 3rd party support they already have.  Easier to port something on par with an XB1.  You may think it's unlikely that a portable gaming system can produce graphics like that on an XB1, but you have to realize that the XB1 and PS4 had dated hardware when they released. Heck.. my graphics card has around 3.5 tflops, and it only released a year after the XB1 did.

So the NSwitch does indeed have a decent chance of being on par with the XB1.  Only time will tell.. they need to release those specs.

it's an odd battle for Nintendo. People don't care and it doesn't really matter about hardware specs when it comes to Nintendo games, but it's important to remember that the N64 had such huge success partly due to the "next gen" experience it delivered – people raved about the capabilities, and Goldeneye was such a huge success partly thanks to the "realistic graphics". SNES with "Mode 7" etc, and even the GC was a huge tech leap that excited people.

So I know we all like to say "it's Nintendo, it doesn't matter if it's not the most powerful", but oddly, historically, it actually has been a huge factor for the market. 

It's interesting that Nintendo has forgotten that.

For myself, I actually don't care – the Switch looks fantastic to me, and I say that as someone who knows they'll almost never use it as a handheld. If they can manage a proper F-Zero and Starfox this time, I'm well and truly in!

5 hours ago, Rob Rymond said:

Not sold on this really. More gimmacks, underpowered hardware potentially and possibly a high entry price point. I hope to be proven wrong but as I skipped the Wii U for the first time of a Nintendo console, I'd like this to be something I 'want' to own. I still think Nintendo should refocus on gaming for other consoles/PC even; they would making a killing.

As a former Wii U owner I only care about software when it comes to Nintendo. In hindsight the Wii U games catalogue was very, very disappointing. Nintendo better have more games ready this time - and not the mobile sort of game either.