IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

If anyone wants a good laugh, here's the reaction to the reveal from a couple of ranting youtubers who have spent the past year obsessively questioning each of Emily Roger's leaks, denying her credibility and presenting elaborate theories as to why the NX couldn't be a hybrid with detachable controllers, or powered by NVIDIA, or releasing in March 2017:

13 minutes ago, siread said:

So are people assuming this is replacing the 3DS? Can't see it myself. Pretty sure they will continue to make a pocket sized handheld. 

It seems clear from the ad that its primary use is as a handheld

Nintendo have had issues with spreading their internal teams between two machines so it seems pretty certain this will be the 3DS and the WiiU's replacement

12 minutes ago, siread said:

So are people assuming this is replacing the 3DS? Can't see it myself. Pretty sure they will continue to make a pocket sized handheld. 

I think you are right! Hopefully Nintendo will focus on a compact handheld like the DS lite, we have not had a proper pocket sized handheld since then.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyRyall said:

If anyone wants a good laugh, here's the reaction to the reveal from a couple of ranting youtubers who have spent the past year obsessively questioning each of Emily Roger's leaks, denying her credibility and presenting elaborate theories as to why the NX couldn't be a hybrid with detachable controllers, or powered by NVIDIA, or releasing in March 2017:

For those of us who'd rather not give them the hits, a synopsis?

16 minutes ago, siread said:

Sales of the 3DS XL crush those of the small 3DS, so it seems like the audience wanting a pocket-sized console are in the minority.

11 minutes ago, Wiper said:

For those of us who'd rather not give them the hits, a synopsis?

Long awkward silence from one of them (SuperMetalDave) as bit by bit he realises that he was wrong about everything; awkward laughter, and a hint of contrition, from the other.

Eventually they agree that Nintendo lied (about what I don't know), and that the console will be a disaster. One of them is proud that he correctly predicted the console would have a standard controller (referring to the pro controller).

22 minutes ago, siread said:

That's the whole point of it, to focus development on one platform instead of two 

23 minutes ago, Halo said:

Sales of the 3DS XL crush those of the small 3DS, so it seems like the audience wanting a pocket-sized console are in the minority.

But £300+ for your handheld gaming needs? Won't someone think of the children?!

31 minutes ago, siread said:

But £300+ for your handheld gaming needs? Won't someone think of the children?!

We don't know the price, and people don't seem to have a problem buying their kids iPads at £200+ a pop.

Edit: And, to be clear, Nintendo should not be comparing themselves with Apple, but there probably would be a reasonable price comparison in a toys-given-to-kids context.

58 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

Off topic but I've paid no attention to the new Wolverine movie until this trailer. Are they taking bits of Old Man Logan and making an X-23 origin story out of it? Because that looked super bad ass.