IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

Yay Nintendo have comeup with something batshit crazy again to make videogames exciting.

While the other two produce big behemoths of under-TV consoles with the same old controllers with tweaks and same old games with tweaks* Nintendo sit back chew on their pens throw all sense out of the window and produce this thing.

Is it a home console or a handheld? There is no need to decide cos it is both, even though most people game on mobile phones on the move! But fuck it why not, it'll be mario on the move! It is the delicious lunacy of Nintendo writ large. Ever since they last tried to keep up in the arms race with the GC Nintendo have just come up with crazy concept after crazy concept, and as a fan of games in general I love them for it.

It will probably either sell fuckall or a billions as there is no middle ground for Nintendo and 3rd parties will ignore it within 6 months of release but what a ride! As ever if you love nintendo games you have to buy it ;)

* I give Sony a temporary pass on this as VR is fantastic.

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Tegra is CPU and GPU though, it's a system-on-a-chip.

I think the idea of a custom one is accurate, it won't be an X2 - would require active cooling.

Yeah I'll be very interested to see how well that compares with the PS4/Xbox One.  I don't expect it to be as powerful overall but the CPUs really let the PS4/Xbox One down.  That won't change with the PS4 Pro but the Scorpio should be interesting.

I think the fact that Switch has so many components, and all the people shown playing it are well-off adults, heavily suggests this will be expensive and out of reach at least intially for the traditional kids market. Nintendo will contend you are getting two products for the price of one, but it looks like it's got £350 written all over it.

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

Nintendo aren't doing anything new here. I thought this was supposed to be new. It isn't new. It will have Nintendo games, but then so do mobiles now.

Nintendo have no fucking idea.

nothing new?

On this I can play the latest home full fat console Mario game to my hearts content. If I wish I can then take it out on the move with me seamlessly.

Crazy Nintendo are back. And Crazy Nintendo are best Nintendo.

And if it makes a loss? They'll just come up with some other collectable crap that people will fork out millions for to help re-swell the coffers :) (Amiibo 2)

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Tegra is CPU and GPU though, it's a system-on-a-chip.

I think the idea of a custom one is accurate, it won't be an X2 - would require active cooling.

It's probably some form of Parker as Nvidia spent loads on that and did bugger all with it so far. Parker certainly outpowers the jaguar CPU's in the xbox/PS4.

10 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I think the fact that Switch has so many components, and all the people shown playing it are well-off adults, heavily suggests this will be expensive and out of reach at least intially for the traditional kids market. Nintendo will contend you are getting two products for the price of one, but it looks like it's got £350 written all over it.

Serkan Toto is suggesting $400, so £350 sounds about right. A little worrying, really.