IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

8 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Er. Why have any consoles been released? You could play games on the BBC Micro.

Nintendo aren't doing anything new here. I thought this was supposed to be new. It isn't new. It will have Nintendo games, but then so do mobiles now.

Nintendo have no fucking idea.

7 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

if it's the Tegra X2 then it's PS4 level of GPU power - 6GB of Ram is a concern, unless the OS is very lightweight, which it could be as no game installs etc, as it's running off carts.

There's also the advanatge of not having to store stuff in memory in advance as you can pull it straight of the cart. Should lessen the amount of memory needed quite nicely. Also PS4 only uses 5 of it's 8 gigs in games, the rest is reserved for OS etc. If they have a nice lightweight OS then it's possible to use roughly the same memory. Having said that, if it's using 4 on the portable part that likely means they are doing the old low/high texture stuff which on PC's makes a lot of difference to the amount of memory used.

Nintendo aren't doing anything new here. I thought this was supposed to be new. It isn't new. It will have Nintendo games, but then so do mobiles now.

Mate, you can play two player Mario Kart 8 in a car.

13 minutes ago, JPickford said:

What has cartridges got to do with patches?  If anything a cart is far more likely to be writeable than a disk.  Either way patches are going to be stored on the console.

Nothing to do with patches, but I would assume due to them being carts, you'd be able to simply buy a game, stick it in (oo-er) and play right away. No waiting for an install. :omg:

14 minutes ago, Professor Rob said:

Like with the Xbox/PS4?

But this is designed to be taken out of the house. Do they intend for everyone to have their own, like a 3DS? In which case, will it be cheap enough for this? Will they sell the handheld separate from the dock? Maybe a handheld pack and a full pack.

So many questions! :)

Watching that, it just looked like there was some strange mismatch of stuff on the screen , with the age of people in it., like some bastard child of an insurance or B&Q commercial with zelda.

Not very exciting, but obviously have backed out of the main fight and are trying to go their own way. I think they are done too.

12 minutes ago, partious said:

Looks like a quality handheld device and a dogshit low spec console for 2017.

I'll buy one like I buy everything nintendo, but it's hard to be too excited about functionality that is basically the same as my nvidia shield portable from 2012 with nintendo games and some crap looking detachable mini controllers.

Really? I think Switch looks a little more versatile and ergonomic than this monstrosity:

20130620T012327.png

9 minutes ago, deKay said:

Are you feeling alright deKay? You seem a bit tense.

This is clearly a continuation of the WiiU philosophy, but the main difference is I remember everyone griping about how you couldn't play the WiiU on the toilet or whatever if it was more than x metres away. Assuming the battery life doesn't kill this idea stone dead, being able to continue a full-fat console game when fully away from the TV is a massive improvement, surely?