Nintendo Switch

deKay

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

On a slightly more serious note, I’m less inclined to agree with this now (versus last generation) in that the tradeoff in performance in playing a heavily compromised switch conversation vs playing portable is rarely worth it these days.

That said, it’s not a huge concern because the Switch has Nintendo exclusives and that’s more than enough reason to own one.

There will always be a trade off but the advantages of playing on the OLED are worth it IMO, and there certainly wasn’t anything that looked too rough, maybe It Takes Two? But even there I think playing co-op in separate Switch’s would negate that. 

40 minutes ago, Stanley said:

There will always be a trade off but the advantages of playing on the OLED are worth it IMO, and there certainly wasn’t anything that looked too rough, maybe It Takes Two? But even there I think playing co-op in separate Switch’s would negate that. 

I didn’t think anything looked particularly awful in isolation, it’s just when compared to the alternative.

Stanley, you should get a steam deck, you’d love it.

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I didn’t think anything looked particularly awful in isolation, it’s just when compared to the alternative.

Stanley, you should get a steam deck, you’d love it.

I’m sure I would and I have considered it, I just have such little time to play games on the consoles I already own, but also I’m not disappointed with Switch, and as you said earlier when you’re looking at the first party line up, which is pretty much mainly what I play, and some indies, it’s great for that. Also I’ve heard the Steam Deck screen is inferior compared with the OLED. 

The screen isn’t as vibrant but it’s higher resolution and bigger. I’d rather an oled team deck for sure but unless performance is the same I’d be going for steam deck when faced with the choice.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The screen isn’t as vibrant but it’s higher resolution and bigger. I’d rather an oled team deck for sure but unless performance is the same I’d be going for steam deck when faced with the choice.

It’s barely higher res - to the point nobody would notice (1280x800 vs 1280x720) and the screen is the same size (7”).

1 hour ago, Popo said:

My N64 controller arrived, the joy!

Fuck me, I’m setting lap records left, right and centre with this thing on Waverace - forgot how amazing the stick on this thing is!

1 hour ago, deKay said:

It’s barely higher res - to the point nobody would notice (1280x800 vs 1280x720) and the screen is the same size (7”).

You definitely notice the higher resolution when a lot of switch games rarely hit 720p to start with. I’m sure if you can tell if an icon is 5 pixels out of place then this should quote noticeable.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Fuck me, I’m setting lap records left, right and centre with this thing on Waverace - forgot how amazing the stick on this thing is!

Starfox is actually playable!

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

You definitely notice the higher resolution when a lot of switch games rarely hit 720p to start with. I’m sure if you can tell if an icon is 5 pixels out of place then this should quote noticeable.

A fair few games I’ve tried on the Deck don’t seem to fit into 1280x800 so are 1280x720 with letterboxing, which is actually worse.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Move arrived yesterday but hasn't been tried as yet because the boys have been exclusively playing splatoon 3.

42 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

SanDisk Ultra 512GB microSDXC Memory Card A1 - £34.99 at Amazon if anyone needs more storage. 

You mean less storage :sherlock:

Ok so the Fortnite update is ballsed and I need to delete and reinstall the game. 
But whenever I move onto the game icon the switch locks up and I have to do a hard reset. What other options are there?

Any other game works. 

1 minute ago, Dr Nookie said:

Very good. It’s for my son who’s going slightly loopy atm. Actually other online stuff is ballsed too but my internet is fine and I even downloaded a game onto it earlier 

Have you checked to see if you're downloading to internal memory or the sd card if you have one? Maybe try and force the download from the Web Eshop

47 minutes ago, SMD said:

Have you checked to see if you're downloading to internal memory or the sd card if you have one? Maybe try and force the download from the Web Eshop

Looks like there’s something wrong with the sd card. 
it’ll play games off it and delete things off it but not save Fortnite to it. So I’ve  taken card out and it’s now downloading Fortnite to the internal mem. 
If the cards ballsed I guess I just get a new one and re-download everything right. All saves in the cloud we hope 

Saw a kid with learning difficulties in the shop earlier who was going tonto and spitting all over the floor and his carer dude was explaining to the till operator that he was raging because his video game was playing up this morning. Ballsed Fortnite causing an angry kid tsunami apocalypse?

10 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Looks like there’s something wrong with the sd card. 
it’ll play games off it and delete things off it but not save Fortnite to it. So I’ve  taken card out and it’s now downloading Fortnite to the internal mem. 
If the cards ballsed I guess I just get a new one and re-download everything right. All saves in the cloud we hope 

Saves are all in the internal. You can’t put them on the SD card.

19 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Saw a kid with learning difficulties in the shop earlier who was going tonto and spitting all over the floor and his carer dude was explaining to the till operator that he was raging because his video game was playing up this morning.

This sounds like every other thread on Discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone recently done this: bought a 12-month family sub from somewhere cheaper than directly through Nintendo, activate it, then ‘upgrade’ to the expansion, and therefor knows what the rate of conversion is? 

I am trying to work out if this is ultimately cheaper or more expensive than just outright buying the whole thing for £60; if you have an active non-expansion sub and upgrade, Nintendo makes you buy the expansion at full price but discounts you £x.xx per remaining day on your existing sub, and while the NOA website publishes this rate ($0.09 at time of writing) NOE do not, and their support can’t or won’t tell me. 

Anyone played Jack Move?  It's a hi-res 16-bit graphics jrpg set in a cyberpunk city.

The mechanics are almost identical to FFVII - such as the materia system, battles, environmental puzzles etc.  The presentation is brilliant, lovely to look at the music and sound effects are fantastic.  It certainly has some call backs to FFVII so is clearly acknowledging the influence.

I've played about 3 hours and I'm really enjoying it, there is demo out to try.

Good write up here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/jack-move-review

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Has anyone recently done this: bought a 12-month family sub from somewhere cheaper than directly through Nintendo, activate it, then ‘upgrade’ to the expansion, and therefor knows what the rate of conversion is? 

I am trying to work out if this is ultimately cheaper or more expensive than just outright buying the whole thing for £60; if you have an active non-expansion sub and upgrade, Nintendo makes you buy the expansion at full price but discounts you £x.xx per remaining day on your existing sub, and while the NOA website publishes this rate ($0.09 at time of writing) NOE do not, and their support can’t or won’t tell me. 

It's in the T&Cs on the Switch Online tab on the left of the eShop – you will be discounted £0.08/1 day of membership without expansion pack, £29.20 for a full year.

My family sub expires in July 2023 and it shows my upgrade would cost £36.31

16 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

It's in the T&Cs on the Switch Online tab on the left of the eShop – you will be discounted £0.08/1 day of membership without expansion pack, £29.20 for a full year.

My family sub expires in July 2023 and it shows my upgrade would cost £36.31

Ah, thank you! I calculate that getting a 12-month sub from CD Keys for £22.99, converted at a rate of £0.08 x 365 days would mean a total cost of £52.19. So worth it to the tune of £7.81. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Ah, thank you! I calculate that getting a 12-month sub from CD Keys for £22.99, converted at a rate of £0.08 x 365 days would mean a total cost of £52.19. So worth it to the tune of £7.81. 

SMD in one of the other threads did that recently. But he bought two 12-months subs. Worked out cheaper as they stacked and then you convert for a cost of around £1.50ish on top of the price of two 12-month subs.

55 minutes ago, Tony said:

SMD in one of the other threads did that recently. But he bought two 12-months subs. Worked out cheaper as they stacked and then you convert for a cost of around £1.50ish on top of the price of two 12-month subs.

Sorry, you’ve lost me. Stacking multiple subs means you can then just pay £1.50 to upgrade them to the expansion?