Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Absolutely loving Waverace.

Never played it at the time so no nostalgia here, just feels so good to control.

Family are wondering why I’m shouting “GET BACK ON THE FUCKING JETSKI” at random times throughout the evening though.

We need this in the middle of the Robocod nonsense.

was trying to explain to my teenage boys how WR64 nailed wave physics, they were very dismissive that newer games do it better,

not convinced.  

Has anyone here played Shin Megami Tensei V? Where does it stack up with the rest of the series? I have a serious backlog on Switch but I can get a copy of it for about £26 and knowing Atlus games, it's unlikely to go much cheaper. However, I do have IV on my 3DS so am looking for some opinions before committing, as I have heard IV be regarded as a highlight in the series.

11 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

Has anyone here played Shin Megami Tensei V? Where does it stack up with the rest of the series? I have a serious backlog on Switch but I can get a copy of it for about £26 and knowing Atlus games, it's unlikely to go much cheaper. However, I do have IV on my 3DS so am looking for some opinions before committing, as I have heard IV be regarded as a highlight in the series.

If you don’t mind me asking where can you buy it for that price? 

1 hour ago, Cheyenne said:

I'm pretty sure @Wiper is a fan? 

I am!

For what it's worth, there's not really a consensus on the "best" SMT — for me it's IV, which is just an ace, punishing dungeon crawler. For some it's III, which is a bit less punishing, and a little heavier on the storytelling, and a little subtler.* For me, III just never clicked, but it's very subjective — these are all games taking their own approaches to a concept, rather than three better or worse executions of the exact same format.

V is, for me, the "friendliest" of the series — the open world and a variety of quality of life bits and pieces (not least being able to freely and safely travel around) make it far less punishing than the other games. It's also absolutely gorgeous, I love its aesthetic from start to finish, which makes it a (slightly discomfiting) pleasure to explore. It has a slightly flabby late section, which is a shame, but frankly, if the game looks appealing to you — in setting, in visual style, in its open-world trappings — then absolutely go for it. It's a great game, and probably the best introduction to the series you could have.

*and features the iconic "Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry" badge which we all know and love

22 hours ago, fat flatulent git said:

If you enjoy quiet train sims, there is a new Japan Rail game on Switch.

What is it called? Can’t see any released even going back a few weeks. Unless it’s only on the JP eShop?

On 22/08/2022 at 14:25, Stevo said:

Press B to "dip" (or dampen as Dave knew to call it!) and R to slide into a corner if you've started taking it a bit on the tight side. C buttons/ right joystick for camera.
https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/downloads/games_8/emanuals/nintendo_8/Manual_Nintendo64_WaveRace64_EN.pdf

On 22/08/2022 at 14:42, spatular said:

Played waverace loads, didnt know about the dampen/slide stuff!

Yeah, mash the b-button on larger waves to reduce the amount you are forced up by them, so you can back on the water quicker. Super cool control addition.