IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

Recommendation for adventure enthusiasts:

2NKrH3l.jpg

Difficult to recommend when it has been less than £3, and frequently free, on every other platform for 10 years.

It’s a great game, but £30? And it’s sold out anyway?

While I'm at it, I felt to compile a general list of Switch recommendations, by publisher to make things more organized and give way to more discoveries:

Nintendo - Good Job!, Part Time UFO, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido

Square Enix - SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!, Forgotton Anne

XSEED Games - Freedom Planet, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Playism - Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Kero Blaster, Gnosia

Chucklefish - Wargroove, Eastward, Timespinner

Bandai Namco Games - Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!, Doraemon: Story of Seasons, Mr. Driller: Drill Land

NIS America - R-Type Final 2, The Alliance Alive HD Remastered, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince

Supergiant Games - Hades, Bastion, Transistor

DotEmu - Streets of Rage 4, Another World, Ys Origin

tinyBuild - The Final Station, Phantom Trigger, Mr. Shifty

DANGEN Entertainment - Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, The TakeOver, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Devolver Digital - The Messenger, Katana ZERO, Enter the Gungeon

ININ Games - The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors, Cotton Reboot!, Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World

Shin'en - Art of Balance, The Touryst, Fast RMX

Nicalis - Cave Story +, Ittle Dew 2+, Tiny Barbarian DX

Team17 - Monster Sanctuary, Worms W.M.D, Overcooked!: Special Edition

PQube - Nexomon: Extinction, Cat Quest, Aggelos

Flyhigh Works - Implosion - Never Lose Hope, OPUS: The Day We Found Earth, Kamiko

Inti Creates - Blaster Master Zero, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Annapurna Interactive - Gorogoa, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Donut County

FDG Entertainment - Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas

505 Games - Indivisible, ABZU, Portal Knights

Humble Games - Wandersong, Forager, Wizard of Legend

Rising Star Games - Deadly Premonition Origins, Lumo, SUPERBEAT: XONiC

Tomorrow Corporation - Little Inferno, Human Resource Machine, World of Goo

12 hours ago, deKay said:

Difficult to recommend when it has been less than £3, and frequently free, on every other platform for 10 years.

It’s a great game, but £30? And it’s sold out anyway?

Is pretty short as I recall, so 30 quid does seem steep, lovely 'though that artwork is.

27 minutes ago, smac said:

Is pretty short as I recall, so 30 quid does seem steep, lovely 'though that artwork is.

Well-made as it is, yeah, I wouldn’t put it at $35. I’d put it more around $15 (around 12 quid).

50 more Switch recommendations by publisher:

Thomas Moon Kang - One Step From Eden

Crazy Monkey Studios - Guns, Gore & Cannoli

Tozai Games - Lode Runner Legacy

DECK13 Spotlight - CrossCode

Terrible Toybox - Thimbleweed Park

Wired Productions - Vostok Inc.

Adult Swim - Battle Chef Brigade

Doragon Entertainment - Danmaku Unlimited 3

Capcom - Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Rainy Frog - Star Ghost

GameMill Entertainment - Cruis'n Blast

Thunder Lotus Games - Spiritfarer

Dufgames - Black Hole

Finji - Night in the Woods

Tribute Games - Flinthook

Aquiris Game Studio - Horizon Chase Turbo

Subset Games - Into the Breach

The Arcade Crew - Blazing Chrome

Bad Habit Productions - Marble It Up!

Matt Makes Games Inc. - TowerFall

DrinkBox Studios - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Plug In Digital - NeuroVoider

Vblank Entertainment Inc. - Shakedown Hawaii

Whippoorwill Limited - A Short Hike

Chorus Worldwide - The VideoKid

Vertex Pop - Graceful Explosion Machine

Binary Haze Interactive - ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights

Asteroid Base - Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

FuturLab - Velocity 2X

Curve Digital - The Flame in the Flood

Zoink! - Flipping Death

Kitfox Games - Moon Hunters

THQ Nordic - Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Villa Gorilla - Yoku's Island Express

Infinite Dreams - Sky Force Reloaded

11 bit studios - Children of Morta

Bifrost Entertainment - Iconoclasts

The Voxel Agents - The Gardens Between

Playful Corp. - New Super Lucky's Tale

Mike Bithell - Subsurface Circular

Night School Studio - Oxenfree

Taito Corporation - Bubble Bobble 4 Friends

UKIYO PUBLISHING LIMITED - Death Road to Canada

Ysbryd Games - VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

SMG Studio - Death Squared

Wales Interactive - The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Aurelien Regard - The Next Penelope

Atooi LLC - Xeodrifter

Perfect World Entertainment - Hob: The Definitive Edition

WayForward - The Mummy Demastered

3 hours ago, R0b said:

Only speaking for me but I'm bouncing off a list of 100 games with zero context - it barely acts as recommendations. 

I admit upfront right now that I'm not that good at describing things and can be lazy, but I suppose I'll start off mention CrossCode again which basically an action-RPG/puzzle game set against an MMO framework. Combat is also interesting since it features a melee/ranged attack combination, with the ranged attack in particular also be used to solve puzzles.

CNGom9l.jpg

24 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

I admit upfront right now that I'm not that good at describing things and can be lazy, but I suppose I'll start off mention CrossCode again which basically an action-RPG/puzzle game set against an MMO framework. Combat is also interesting since it features a melee/ranged attack combination, with the ranged attack in particular also be used to solve puzzles.

CNGom9l.jpg

Played a few hours of this recently and honestly, I found the combat super tedious. The enemies took too long to kill, and it was basically a case of holding the right stick towards them until they died. Not sure if I was doing something wrong. It’s a shame really because it’s beautiful, and up to that point I loved almost everything else about it.

Just now, Paulando said:

Played a few hours of this recently and honestly, I found the combat super tedious. The enemies took too long to kill, and it was basically a case of holding the right stick towards them until they died. Not sure if I was doing something wrong. It’s a shame really because it’s beautiful, and up to that point I loved almost everything else about it.

Yeah, can totally understand that since I felt it was trying to go for something different in the combat in a way some others might not be as used to, so they prob did it knowing some would be skeptical, but went for it anyway, which I still admire.

One of the more unique Switch games I've come across. Such a simple, yet effective idea in how you take a golf ball and use cards to putt it at certain moments to get up hills. Gets really cleverly creative for the puzzle game that it is (Golf Peaks):

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Yeah, can totally understand that since I felt it was trying to go for something different in the combat in a way some others might not be as used to, so they prob did it knowing some would be skeptical, but went for it anyway, which I still admire.

I mean, I had no problem with the combat and it was a refreshing change from the usual turn-based or sword mechanics, but towards the end of the main battle area I felt like I was killing the same bullet-sponge enemies over and over. It became pretty tedious.

What do people reckon regarding giving Paper Mario 64 a whirl on the SNES online thingmy, or splashing out on Origami King for £25? 

Been trying to flesh out my Switch first party collection, having been abroad for years and neglecting it, but am aware that the series has had diminishing returns for a while. I've only actually played Thousand Year Door on the GC (which was amazing, as everyone rightly knows).

11 minutes ago, Parksey said:

What do people reckon regarding giving Paper Mario 64 a whirl on the SNES online thingmy, or splashing out on Origami King for £25? 

Been trying to flesh out my Switch first party collection, having been abroad for years and neglecting it, but am aware that the series has had diminishing returns for a while. I've only actually played Thousand Year Door on the GC (which was amazing, as everyone rightly knows).

I found the battle system in Origami King to be pretty dreadful, unfortunately. The environments are lovely, but it turned me off after a couple of chapters. Mind you, I got about 10/15 hours of fun out of it, and sold it on for not much less than I bought it for, so you can’t really lose.

Nothing comes close to TTYD, but the first game is probably the most similar. They should just make a new game with that same battle system.

2 hours ago, Parksey said:

I recommend the Nintendo 64 game, but not Origami King if you’re looking for a similar experience. In that case, I’d give a recommendation for Dangen’s Bug Fables. Beyond similar gameplay, it features more banter between the characters, which I find more interesting in seeing their relationships develop as opposed the mute Mario approach.

8 hours ago, Parksey said:

Just to muddy the waters - I’d thoroughly recommend Origami King. The characters are great company, the environments look great and are fun to explore, the battle system is good and comes into its own during bosses, and - best of all -  it’s really, really funny. Lots of amusing gags and physical comedy; the whole world is made out of paper and the writers have good fun with that. 

£25 is a bargain. 

Origami King is a title that actively encourages you to not engage with the game. RIP Paper Mario.

The music is awesome I'll give it that.

The battle system in Origami King was super-original, I’ll give it that, but it just wasn’t satisfying after solving the same puzzle for the hundredth time. Wish they’d use that system for one chapter, and switched it up every chapter. It really didn’t have the legs for a full game I don’t think.

16 hours ago, SMD said:

I don't understand why Nintendo just refuses to go back to the old battle system everyone loved

Paper Mario feels like it's in an identity crisis at this point if you ask me. It looks as if it doesn't know if it wants to be a JRPG, a platformer, an adventure game, a puzzle game, an action game, etc. It's like as if it tries to please everyone, but ends up pleasing few.

40 recommendations. One in particular that stood out to me is Valfaris, which has a lot of great atmosphere and energy which is great to navigate through:

Terry Cavanagh - Dicey Dungeons

Sega - Two Point Hospital

Merj Media - Floor Kids

CyberConnect2 - Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Drageus Games - Event Horizon: Space Defense

Dispatch Games - Penguin Wars

SVC Games - Debris Infinity

Soedesco - Teslagrad

ZA/UM - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Zen Studios - CastleStorm

Fractal Phase - Sky Rogue

Impact Gameworks - Tangledeep

Big Sugar - Valfaris

Coffee Stain Studios - Huntdown

Ripstone - Ironcast

SmashGames - Littlewood

BySamb - BlobCat

Double Eleven - Songbringer

Serenity Forge - Death's Gambit: Afterlife

Mebius - Rolling Gunner

Hopoo Games - Risk of Rain

Other Ocean Interactive - Gunhouse

Snowhydra llc - Zarvot

DYA Games - Bot Vice

7Levels - Golf Peaks

GungHo - Puzzle & Dragons Nintendo Switch Edition

Focus Home Interactive - Masters of Anima

Mode4 - Bombslinger

Arc System Works - Of Mice and Sand: Revised

Fabraz - SpiritSphere DX

Tikipod Limited - Aqua Kitty UDX

Outright Games - Crayola Scoot

Cypronia - Color Zen

Graffiti Games - Blue Fire

10tons - Sparkle Unleashed

Two Tribes - Toki Tori 2 +

BlitWorks - Hammerwatch

MidBoss - 2064: Read Only Memories INTEGRAL

Springloaded - Nuclien

Rainbite - Reverie: Sweet As Edition

5 hours ago, electricmastro said:

40 recommendations. One in particular that stood out to me is Valfaris, which has a lot of great atmosphere and energy which is great to navigate through:

Terry Cavanagh - Dicey Dungeons

Sega - Two Point Hospital

Merj Media - Floor Kids

CyberConnect2 - Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Drageus Games - Event Horizon: Space Defense

Dispatch Games - Penguin Wars

SVC Games - Debris Infinity

Soedesco - Teslagrad

ZA/UM - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Zen Studios - CastleStorm

Fractal Phase - Sky Rogue

Impact Gameworks - Tangledeep

Big Sugar - Valfaris

Coffee Stain Studios - Huntdown

Ripstone - Ironcast

SmashGames - Littlewood

BySamb - BlobCat

Double Eleven - Songbringer

Serenity Forge - Death's Gambit: Afterlife

Mebius - Rolling Gunner

Hopoo Games - Risk of Rain

Other Ocean Interactive - Gunhouse

Snowhydra llc - Zarvot

DYA Games - Bot Vice

7Levels - Golf Peaks

GungHo - Puzzle & Dragons Nintendo Switch Edition

Focus Home Interactive - Masters of Anima

Mode4 - Bombslinger

The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild - Tumblestone

Arc System Works - Of Mice and Sand: Revised

Fabraz - SpiritSphere DX

Tikipod Limited - Aqua Kitty UDX

Outright Games - Crayola Scoot

Cypronia - Color Zen

Graffiti Games - Blue Fire

10tons - Sparkle Unleashed

Two Tribes - Toki Tori 2 +

BlitWorks - Hammerwatch

MidBoss - 2064: Read Only Memories INTEGRAL

Springloaded - Nuclien

Do you buy all these games you list?

For some balance, a lot of us here loved origami king. The battle system isn't too bad once you do the cheat of taking a screenshot and getting rid of the terrible time limit.

The rest of it is amazing and I just bought it again recently to own a physical copy. It was probably my GOTY after nearly bouncing off it very hard at the start.