Jump to content
IGNORED

Nintendo Switch


deKay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok, I haven't played Minecraft for years, but I own both the regular and Switch Edition.  I have just given my grandchildren a Switch, which version of Minecraft should I get for them to play?  I understand that the Switch Edition has the extra Mario stuff, but a quick search suggests the regular edition is more up to date.  I'm assuming that there is no cross-platform play on the Switch Edition either, which isn't really an issue for us.  I just want to be able to help them online with the best version on Switch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Ok, I haven't played Minecraft for years, but I own both the regular and Switch Edition.  I have just given my grandchildren a Switch, which version of Minecraft should I get for them to play?  I understand that the Switch Edition has the extra Mario stuff, but a quick search suggests the regular edition is more up to date.  I'm assuming that there is no cross-platform play on the Switch Edition either, which isn't really an issue for us.  I just want to be able to help them online with the best version on Switch.

 

 

There's only one Minecraft on the Switch. And it is up to date and there is cross-platform play - my daughter plays on her Switch with her friends who have it on PC and Xbox, and me on my PS5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

There's only one Minecraft on the Switch. And it is up to date and there is cross-platform play - my daughter plays on her Switch with her friends who have it on PC and Xbox, and me on my PS5. 

 

Ah, did they pull the Switch Edition then?  I still have that and Minecraft in my download history.  Does the version on the store have Super Mario mash-up pack?  The little ones would love that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Stejay said:

 

Ah, did they pull the Switch Edition then?  I still have that and Minecraft in my download history.  Does the version on the store have Super Mario mash-up pack?  The little ones would love that.

 

Daughter has "Minecraft" on card, but it's the Switch Edition with all the Mario stuff when you play it.

 

This one:

 

image.png.36db095daf18d24d6775e071b654c4b3.png

 

I *think* the original Switch version was updated to Bedrock and lost the "Minecraft for Switch" name, so if they're updated, they're the same game now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again thanks to @Smoothy for the heads up, my controller turned up this morning despite picking the free delivery, which is super fast. Just had a quick go and its a great feeling to play SMW with it. Not had one of these in my hand since I had my original SNES and it just feels right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deKay said:

 

Daughter has "Minecraft" on card, but it's the Switch Edition with all the Mario stuff when you play it.

 

This one:

 

image.png.36db095daf18d24d6775e071b654c4b3.png

 

I *think* the original Switch version was updated to Bedrock and lost the "Minecraft for Switch" name, so if they're updated, they're the same game now.

 

That's great then.  Now to decide whether or not to buy them games, or to see if account sharing is worth the faff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Didn't you have problems linking the MS account? Don't you need that to play cross platform?


Yes, they fixed that ages ago.

 

EDIT: that belittles the problem. They broke the Switch version of Minecraft almost entirely for about a year. But it is fixed now.

 

At least, as fixed as Minecraft ever gets, anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone here account sharing?  Managing ok, or finding it a pain?  Do you need internet on the secondary machine just to verify when starting a game, or throughout the whole session?  I'm wondering if out, if mobile data could be used to just to verify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Is anyone here account sharing?  Managing ok, or finding it a pain?  Do you need internet on the secondary machine just to verify when starting a game, or throughout the whole session?  I'm wondering if out, if mobile data could be used to just to verify.

I have a Switch Lite as my second Switch and use it on the train. It only needs to verify when starting a game, so I hotspot to my phone, works fine. As soon as the game starts, I can turn the hotspot off. Only thing is that you can't have the same game playing on both Switches at the same time. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I have a Switch Lite as my second Switch and use it on the train. It only needs to verify when starting a game, so I hotspot to my phone, works fine. As soon as the game starts, I can turn the hotspot off. Only thing is that you can't have the same game playing on both Switches at the same time. 

 

 

Cheers.  Isn't it true that you can play the same game at the same time is using different accounts on each machine?

 

From https://www.howtogeek.com/675805/how-to-game-share-on-the-nintendo-switch/

 

Quote

Another thing to note is that both consoles cannot play the same game at the same time when they’re logged into a single account. However, this does not apply to a second Nintendo account. If you make another account on the secondary device and select it whenever you play, both devices can run the same game simultaneously. However, to play online multiplayer together, you need a second Nintendo Switch Online subscription.

 

So, if I'm registered on both machines, I'm playing Minecraft on mine, my grandson can play it with me at the same time assuming his secondary console is online, he is using his own account, and he is invited to my Nintendo Online family account?  He just can't if he was to use my account at the same time as I was with the same game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stejay said:

 

Cheers.  Isn't it true that you can play the same game at the same time is using different accounts on each machine?

 

From https://www.howtogeek.com/675805/how-to-game-share-on-the-nintendo-switch/

 

 

So, if I'm registered on both machines, I'm playing Minecraft on mine, my grandson can play it with me at the same time assuming his secondary console is online, he is using his own account, and he is invited to my Nintendo Online family account?  He just can't if he was to use my account at the same time as I was with the same game?

 

Sadly not, you would need 2 copies.

 

So on my Primary Switch, my 2 sons are on there with my Nintendo Online account. They can play all of the games I have bought on there, no issue.

 

On the Secondary console, the Lite, only I can play the games. If I put the boys accounts on there, they still can't play those games, even if they are downloaded. And if my boys are playing on the primary, say Mario Golf, and I try to play it on my Lite, because I am the account holder, it boots them off the game.

 

I'm 99% sure thats how it works, let me just test it.......

 

Here's an explanation from IGN, it definitely works the way I say

 

https://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-switch/How_to_Use_One_Account_on_Multiple_Switch_Units#Primary_Switch_vs._Secondary_Switch_Units

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Contrary to the link I posted then. Disappointed now. Thanks for the clarification.

Your link does say something different. Let me test.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Created a second user on the secondary Switch and they can't play any of the games on there. So looks like my link has the correct story. Sorry mate.

 

Oh, you didn't need to check.  Once you'd said, and the dedicated gaming site agreed, I discounted what the other non-gaming site said.  Thank you for checking anyway though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Nice isn't it!

 

It's perfect. Indistinguishable from the original (apart from the fact that it has two extra buttons... some LED lights, and is wireless 😄).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you remember a little while back I had a nice little package from Play Asia?

 

First off Caladrius Blaze. Whilst my days of annihilating Ikaruga are over I still love my shooters. I think this is definitely on the easier side - which is perfect for me. I suspect the resident shmup nuts will not enjoy it as a result. Loving the art style and pace.

 

Couple of screen grabs:

 

 

 

 

FB_IMG_1647252934142 (2).jpg

FB_IMG_1647252941098 (2).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second, I *love* the Cotton franchise. I never had a saturn but instead a rather loaded friend at Uni who did. Very happy memories of Panzer Dragoon (that blew me away) and of course Cotton.

 

Now that the lag has been fixed (razor sharp shmup head I'm not - just a warning) this is wonderful.

 

I've not sat down with Boomerang yet (or Guardian Force) but this is just lovely. I prefer it to the also rather nice Cotton Reboot.

 

 

FB_IMG_1647252908694 (2).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone's Switch started draining it's battery faster since the latest update? 

 

Mine came off charge at 6PM and has lost 11% in sleep mode at this point. 

 

It has never done that before. I have the longer battery life model. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/03/2022 at 23:04, Smoothy said:

It's perfect. Indistinguishable from the original (apart from the fact that it has two extra buttons... some LED lights, and is wireless 😄).

Did the original controller have the thicker top than the bottom so it sits at a slant? Could be my memory cheating me but I thought the original had a uniform thickness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any decent places to pick up e-top up credits online and save a little cash? Or at least anywhere people would recommend  who are trustworthy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Are there any decent places to pick up e-top up credits online and save a little cash? Or at least anywhere people would recommend  who are trustworthy?

Pretty sure that both switch up and Nintendolife give a 10% discount. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.