IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh no way I didn’t know that was coming. Quite enjoyed the last remake and played through it again the other day. 

Actually I’m gonna have to row back on that statement unfortunately - I misread my Google search results last night! It was actually slated for release last year, and there haven’t been any updates from the developer, so there’s every chance it’ll come out later this year, but then again maybe not. :hat:

17 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Didn't realize Panzer Dragoon remake was on switch either. Another game I will have to pick up. Also saw a trailer for house of dead remake other day that looks great. Question is how well do light gun games translate to switch?

Also looking at picking up another pad for multiplayer, what does everyone recommend? Joycon, pro pad or another alternative?

On a final note, picked up online pass on cdkeys for £13 and is giving me the option of expansion pass for £20 now. Is it worth it? Wouldn't mind extra Mario kart tracks, but don't know if it's worth picking them up separate instead?

The Panzer Dragoon remake is really good! It launched in a bit of a poor state and got a very bad rap because of it, but the developer put the work in, and it’s now fantastic. 

The House of the Dead remake is by the same studio, Forever Entertainment, which stands it in good stead, but I share your concerns that any light gun game based around the joy con is going to be a drifty, imprecise mess. 

The expansion gets you the Mario Kart tracks as you mentioned - it also gets you Megadrive and N64 emulators with a selection of games - no Wave Race yet though! - and the Animal Crossing expansion. And if you don’t have AC - well, now you know what you’re doing today. ;)

On 16/12/2021 at 22:34, curium said:

Cheers all.

John Lewis seem to have a white OLED 64GB in stock for £309.99

Just wanted to say that I bought a Switch for Christmas along with Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I spend all my time playing Smash Tennis 🤣

3 minutes ago, curium said:

Just wanted to say that I bought a Switch for Christmas along with Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I spend all my time playing Smash Tennis 🤣

It's been a fantastic purchase for me, I have to say. BotW is dominating my life at the moment. If I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about it. Five years late I may be, but it's been worth the wait!

Plus, I find the flipping between handheld and TV is pretty magical!

I think I need to buy some additional controllers mainly because I have such big paws that I prefer to have both controllers inserted into the grip when playing so need another set for multiplayer. 

Is it better to buy additional switch controllers or a different wireless controller? I'm currently looking at a Switch Pro Controller. Anybody able to recommend for or against?

22 minutes ago, curium said:

I'm hoping that some of the GBA games will make it to Switch as I have fond memories of Kuru Kuru Kururin and Advance Wars

There is a remake of AW 1&2 for the Switch on the way, but the launch has been pushed back because of the war in Ukraine.

23 minutes ago, curium said:

I'm hoping that some of the GBA games will make it to Switch as I have fond memories of Kuru Kuru Kururin and Advanced Wars

Don’t bank on Advance Wars coming to Switch Online considering they are selling us a remaster.

On 15/03/2022 at 09:33, curium said:

I think I need to buy some additional controllers mainly because I have such big paws that I prefer to have both controllers inserted into the grip when playing so need another set for multiplayer. 

Is it better to buy additional switch controllers or a different wireless controller? I'm currently looking at a Switch Pro Controller. Anybody able to recommend for or against?

Caveat - I barely play multiplayer as my friends are losers aren't into gaming, so probably not the best placed to answer. Thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway.

I have a Pro controller and use it whenever playing in docked mode, I find it a massive improvement on the joycons + grip combo so would recommend one. For multiplayer I think you have to be mindful of what games you want it for though, I think most should be fine but anything that relies on motion controls might be problematic (I think Super Mario Party is designed to work with a single joycon for example).

Bit of a sidenote, but if you play in handheld mode a lot I'd recommend a Hori Split Pad Pro. It only works in handheld mode (so useless for multiplayer), has no rumble and looks a bit ridiculous, but I found it made playing in handheld way more comfortable. 

Ta. Not in a rush as 99% of the time I use my pro controller and I’ve two other pairs anyway, but just wanted an idea.

I sent one for repair just after Christmas. Looking back at my emails, Nintendo received it on 11 January and sent it back on 17 January so you might be lucky and get it back in about a week.

So I finally got around to trying F Zero X, which I was really excited for….but it runs like shit? Is it just me? Any time other racers are on screen the frame rate tanks, and every so often it just randomly hiccups up and down over and over. It ran a solid 60 on n64 so this feels really jarring. 

Also, very twitchy controls! It was quite a challenge to not oversteer. I was having to very very very lightly nudge the stick the whole time I played. 

7 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

UPS have lost mine so I’ll be lucky if I ever get them back. 

If you have the UPS receipt Nintendo will replace it.

That said, they picked it up from me at 11am yesterday and the tracking still shows they're on route to pick it up from me.

On 15/03/2022 at 09:33, curium said:

FOR

1 hour ago, deKay said:

If you have the UPS receipt Nintendo will replace it.

I got UPS looking at it now so we'll see what happens. Annoyingly I have sent them two left Joycons so I'm down two lots of controllers. This will not help when it comes time to Co-Op Kirby with the little one.

57 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

I got UPS looking at it now so we'll see what happens. Annoyingly I have sent them two left Joycons so I'm down two lots of controllers. This will not help when it comes time to Co-Op Kirby with the little one.

What was the fault on yours? Mine is the L button doesn't work. It's probably been broken from new as I almost never use it handheld.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

What was the fault on yours? Mine is the L button doesn't work. It's probably been broken from new as I almost never use it handheld.

Both had stick drift.

One was from my launch pair and one from the Mario Party bundle. Luckily I still have one pair left.

17 hours ago, freezycold said:

So I finally got around to trying F Zero X, which I was really excited for….but it runs like shit? Is it just me? Any time other racers are on screen the frame rate tanks, and every so often it just randomly hiccups up and down over and over. It ran a solid 60 on n64 so this feels really jarring. 

Also, very twitchy controls! It was quite a challenge to not oversteer. I was having to very very very lightly nudge the stick the whole time I played. 

That's what it was like on the N64 as far as controls go. The point was that thanks to the resistance on the N64 control stick you could keep it tilted in a very gradual way. If you went and pushed it too far then the cars would skid out. It made you feel like you were right on the edge. Go too far and you paid the price. Of course that doesn't feel too great on controllers with no resistence to movement.

The way to over come this is with quick "double pumping" of the accelerator. Tapping it repeatidly while going round corners can keep you speed up and helps prevent skidding.

19 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

The way to over come this is with quick "double pumping" of the accelerator. Tapping it repeatidly while going round corners can keep you speed up and helps prevent skidding.

This is exactly the F-Zero X knowledge I need, thanks!

On 14/03/2022 at 22:34, Popo said:

I had £20 I absolutely had to get rid of over the weekend and bought one of the Retro-bit Saturn controllers. Speaking as someone who already has an 8bitdo SN30, I am delighted to report it’s a great little controller and feels close enough to the original that I struggle to tell the difference. 

Playing Panzer Dragoon with it is sublime. Looking forward to the remake of Zwei that’s apparently coming later this month. 

Ooh really? I've just broken my not touching LRG games with someone else's bargepole rule as I found it for £20. I'd have been happy with a straight port but this is lovely. Thanks 😊 

Are unofficial docks still to be avoided? I would like one for downstairs but due to height restrictions with the tv unit I would need with to take the official dock out to remove or dock the console.