IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/switchs-latest-n64-update-suggests-nintendo-could-be-improving-emulation/?

In November, Nintendo of America’s president even commented publicly on the issue and said the company was taking criticism of Switch Online’s N64 emulation “very seriously”.

Now, following Switch Online’s latest update alongside the release of Banjo-Kazooie, users have found some evidence that Nintendo could be slowly working to improve the N64 experience on Switch.

Notably, it appears to have fixed an infamous graphical glitch in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, related to a transparency issue with a water texture in the game.

Yeah comparrison pictures show it has been somewhat fixed but it's not quite the same as the N64. However the problem looks like it more a case of the game rendering at a higher res than the N64.

There is a lot of use of the N64 fog effect in early parts of Banjo and it looks fine so it seems more a case of how the effect is used rather than the effect itself. 

12 hours ago, Great King Bowser said:

Are the N64 controllers ever coming back in stock?

I’m getting rather desperate. I want to play and enjoy these games, but the joy con button mappings tend towards the highly counter-intuitive.

Is there a decent third party offering?

I've been playing Banjo tonight.  I'm quite surprised how well it holds up.  The controls are very clunky and it'd be immeasurably better if I could get my hands on the fookin N64 controller. But it still plays really well and really enjoyed my evening. I forgot how funny and insulting it was.  Managed to 100% the first level.  Something I never managed on my first play through all those years ago. Just opened up the beach level and it's getting harder already.  The emulation looks fine and the pictures lovely and sharp with no lag that I can feel.  Mind you, I don't really notice it when it's there anyway.  Although I'm glad they're improving known issues that are bugging others. 

I’ve done a bit of Banjo this evening. It’s a lot, isn’t it? I appreciate the content but they never really followed Nintendo’s pacing. Here’s 3 billion collectibles/currencies and moves, welcome to your first hour!

Quick question that probs been asked a lot but too drunk to search, my switch has ran out of storage space so need sd card. Is there a limit on size can use on it, and anyone recommend one/where to buy so don't end up with some shitey fake 512mb  one

Does anyone know if you get platinum points from purchasing things on the Nintendo UK store? And if so, how many relative to the value of your purchases?

The site seems to imply that you do but isn't clear about it.

KOTOR has patched out that incomprehensibly intentional battle status window that took up half the screen. I didn’t make it past Taris before deciding to wait for the patch. Will probably dip back in this evening.

4 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Does anyone know if you get platinum points from purchasing things on the Nintendo UK store? And if so, how many relative to the value of your purchases?

I had a look and I don't seem to have been awarded any Platinum or Gold points for purchasing Metroid Dread last year.

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I had a look and I don't seem to have been awarded any Platinum or Gold points for purchasing Metroid Dread last year.

Did you use one of those Nintendo Online tokens?

6 hours ago, Marlowe said:

You get gold points, not platinum. For physical games you get about 1 point per £ (so usually 50-60 points a game). For digital games, you get more per £ but it seems random, and sometimes you get points based on the full price for games on sale, and sometimes you don’t.

Also, if you preorder full price digital games (Nintendo published only, I think) you usually get a bonus 250 or 500 gold points.

I've been playing the Shadow Man remaster over the last couple of days and it holds up remarkably well! 

It was always a bit janky, even back in 1999, but it still has to my mind one of the most interesting and effective depictions of hell seen in any videogame. All rusted, narrow corridors threading between gothic plazas hanging over lakes of lava. Something about the primitive use of 3D space makes the environments seem larger, on a grander scale somehow. 

Don't know if I'll fully complete it again but I'm enjoying it a lot right now. 

46 minutes ago, carleton said:

It’s about 20 years since I’ve had a game published on a Nintendo console. A while back I coded a game for the Commodore 64, it was pretty popular. Then between contracts at work I converted it to teach myself Unity and published it on smart phones. They predictably sold very few copies. 

Now Thalamus have stepped in and published it on Switch so hopefully a few more people get to play it. 

EDIT: trailer

I keep coming back to the fact you made Spitting Image for the C64 and I had that game as a kid though.