IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

Okay I've had an OLED switch delivered from John Lewis for the 2-year warranty. Surprised by the size of it - large screen. My previous handheld was a Gameboy Advance (is Castlevania or Tetris available for Switch?).

Having received it I very much would like some kind of case for it before entrusting it to my 10-yo. Any suggestions? Links?

Cheers

Switch has the best Tetris in Tetris Effect and Tetris 99. Tetris Effect is a creative audiovisual synaesthesia type take on the game, from Tetsuya Mizuguchi (the Rez cunt) while Tetris 99 is an incredible 99-player Battle Royal multiplayer take. It’s available for free if you subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online (worth doing to play online games as well as access NES, SNES libraries, plus additional N64 and Megadrive games if you pay for the top tier membership). 

Puyo Puyo Tetris is supposedly also great, though I’ve never played it.

There are two Castlevania Collections which are both worth getting. The Anniversary Collection has all / most of the NES, original Gameboy, SNES and Megadrive classic Vania games, while the Castlevania Advance collection has the Metroidvania style GBA trilogy and the SNES version of Dracula X. 

11 hours ago, mikeyl said:

that was about 200+ hours, think the rest was Pokemon Sword and Hades. 2020 was a banger year. Then two new consoles came out. 

OLED Switch and Evercade VS, right

3 hours ago, curium said:

Okay I've had an OLED switch delivered from John Lewis for the 2-year warranty. Surprised by the size of it - large screen. My previous handheld was a Gameboy Advance (is Castlevania or Tetris available for Switch?).

Having received it I very much would like some kind of case for it before entrusting it to my 10-yo. Any suggestions? Links?

Cheers

Yes, both Links.

10 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Switch has the best Tetris in Tetris Effect and Tetris 99. Tetris Effect is a creative audiovisual synaesthesia type take on the game, from Tetsuya Mizuguchi (the Rez cunt) while Tetris 99 is an incredible 99-player Battle Royal multiplayer take. It’s available for free if you subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online (worth doing to play online games as well as access NES, SNES libraries, plus additional N64 and Megadrive games if you pay for the top tier membership). 

There are two Castlevania Collections which are both worth getting. The Anniversary Collection has all / most of the NES, original Gameboy, SNES and Megadrive classic Vania games, while the Castlevania Advance collection has the Metroidvania style GBA trilogy and the SNES version of Dracula X. 

I have a Nintendo account from when I got Mario on iOS. There was some hack alert a while back so I enabled 2FA using Google’s Authenticator.

Anyway I wiped that phone after I forgot the passcode and now I can’t get into my Nintendo account :(

I’ve emailed Nintendo to see if they can help but still waiting for a reply. 

A shame the summary is completely wrong (e.g. I played, to completion, Great Ace Attorney this year, which definitely took more than 4 hours, and my time in SMT V is much higher, as indicated by the monthly tracking, which also evidently misses out the time I spent playing SMT III, despite tracking it in its own category. Odd), but this was apparently mine for the year:

Screenshot_20211219-222718_Firefox_copy_540x1320_copy_540x993.thumb.jpg.d6c68bc0adc2372f06311699d301ad17.jpg

Screenshot_20211219-222502_Firefox_copy_540x1320_copy_540x633.jpg.a0bf239d9f0e15642ff83b91b56c6e99.jpg

13 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I've yet to pick up Tetris Effect but do play a fair bit of Tetris 99.....they may well both be close to the top but fail to dislodge the GOAT that is The New Tetris on N64 the best Tetris ever, its silver and gold block mechanic required careful planning as well as patience to utilise to the fullest in contrast to the loathsome game logic breaking overpowered gimmick that is the T-Spin which god awful version of Tetris first introduced this abomination?

57 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

I've yet to pick up Tetris Effect but do play a fair bit of Tetris 99.....they may well both be close to the top but fail to dislodge the GOAT that is The New Tetris on N64 the best Tetris ever, its silver and gold block mechanic required careful planning as well as patience to utilise to the fullest in contrast to the loathsome game logic breaking overpowered gimmick that is the T-Spin which god awful version of Tetris first introduced this abomination?

To my great amusement, you've answered your own question there. In fairness, the T-Spin that The New Tetris introduced was the stepping stone that led to the free-flowing SRS system that I imagine you're railing against (with free-flowing rotations, rather than lock-only rotations per TNT), but it's still very much the game that introduced them.

Yes the New tetris allowed spins but only in the same way that every tetris game before it allowed spins you could always rotate your tetronimos provided they weren't obstructed by other blocks.....it may have even introduced bonuses for spinning blocks into place but did so without compromising the game logic that had held up till that point. I wanted to know which idiots decided it would be great to allow you to move blocks through each other simply because you are spinning them- why not go further and let me slide my tetronimos horizontally and vertically through any inconvenient obstructions that are preventing me scoring.....you are no doubt going to tell me that there is a tetris rule set that allows this, if so its almost like when I started playing scrabble properly against a computer AI and discovered in the official scrabble rules any old made up shit was allowed which subsequently robbed most of the enjoyment out of the game.

If you are going to introduce such nonsense in Tetris don't have it overpowered compared to what were till then the only legitimate move sets and certainly don't ditch the silver and gold blocks of 'The New Tetris'

@mwaawm Yeah, I appreciated what actually bothered you, it just tickled me that you could technically blame The New Tetris ;)

I think it was Tetris Worlds that introduced the full spinathon; I could be wrong though, as I'm far from a Tetris fanatic, I just happen find the gradual evolution of the game and the curious annually-updated 'Tetris Guideline' that defines it like an evolving sport to be quite interesting!

11 hours ago, curium said:

I have a Nintendo account from when I got Mario on iOS. There was some hack alert a while back so I enabled 2FA using Google’s Authenticator.

Anyway I wiped that phone after I forgot the passcode and now I can’t get into my Nintendo account :(

I’ve emailed Nintendo to see if they can help but still waiting for a reply. 

Happend to me last year, they will just remove the two factor authentication so you can log in again/re-set up as needed. Should be a quick fix once they reply. 

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

A shame the summary is completely wrong (e.g. I played, to completion, Great Ace Attorney this year, which definitely took more than 4 hours, and my time in SMT V is much higher, as indicated by the monthly tracking, which also evidently misses out the time I spent playing SMT III, despite tracking it in its own category. Odd), but this was apparently mine for the year:

Screenshot_20211219-222718_Firefox_copy_540x1320_copy_540x993.thumb.jpg.d6c68bc0adc2372f06311699d301ad17.jpg

Screenshot_20211219-222502_Firefox_copy_540x1320_copy_540x633.jpg.a0bf239d9f0e15642ff83b91b56c6e99.jpg

Got u fam

uVbgbw0.jpg

Started playing Paper Mario on the N64 thing and it’s brilliant so far. Some of the sprites are a little blocky, but it holds up incredibly well. Not a million miles away from Paper Mario 2, and much better than most other N64 games. Think this will make a nice Christmas game.

This is where someone tells me I’m not allowed to enjoy it because the sound is 5ms out or whatever.

Anyway, I would love either one of these to have a full remake, or even just to have PM2 made available for a current Nintendo console through emulation. None of the sequels have lived up to these original games, which is a real shame.