IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

Not had a great deal of time to play games lately but picking up the Switch and making wee bits of progress in Operation Winback has been really fun. There a lot of incredibly similar rooms and encounters so I doubt I'd feel the same if I'd played it in one long session but it's great to finally put some time into it as I only had a quick go back in the day. Plays like a Time Crisis without the rails. It definitely feels like it influenced games like Resi 4, Gears of War etc.

One big issue I do have in handheld mode is that Up-C switches your weapon and that's up on the right stick in handheld mode. I've accidentally switched to ammo-less weapons and had to run and duck for cover more times than I could count. 

7 hours ago, xtremeboat said:

Might not be the popular view but N64 on Switch has been great so far. Mario Tennis - so simple but what a game. Same with Starfox - maps ok as only uses 2 C buttons for most gameplay 

You’re not meant to be enjoying them FFS. Just analyse them.

The boy is now at the Shadow Temple in TooT - his first ever play through and he's loving it. I really should stop him and tell him just how awful it is.

In other news - played Mario Tennis for the first time, it's really good and an excellent multi-player as well.

Can't wait for 1080, Fzero, Waverace, Excitebike(!!), Paper Mario. Pilotwings...

I'd love to see Body Harvest, Forsaken, Blast Corps and others - but I won't hold my breath.

This “I can’t believe I’m enjoying these games with their shit emulation” schtick is fucking stupid. 

If you’re enjoying them and don’t notice or care, then fine. I’ve played the games enough to find the lag a real problem and think there’s no technical reason why it’s like that.

59 minutes ago, scottcr said:

The boy is now at the Shadow Temple in TooT - his first ever play through and he's loving it. I really should stop him and tell him just how awful it is.

In other news - played Mario Tennis for the first time, it's really good and an excellent multi-player as well.

Can't wait for 1080, Fzero, Waverace, Excitebike(!!), Paper Mario. Pilotwings...

I'd love to see Body Harvest, Forsaken, Blast Corps and others - but I won't hold my breath.

I think Forsaken actually got a remastered port to the Xbox a few years ago. 

28 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

This “I can’t believe I’m enjoying these games with their shit emulation” schtick is fucking stupid. 

If you’re enjoying them and don’t notice or care, then fine. I’ve played the games enough to find the lag a real problem and think there’s no technical reason why it’s like that.

Exactly. The “well, I don’t notice the difference, shut up you snobs” response is the same as what he had in the old days* when pointing out the PAL 50Hz version of games were unfortunately deficient.

There’s just no need for a company with Nintendo’s resources to offer poor emulation of one of their own consoles. It’s also doing the system’s legacy a disservice too, as it gives a false impression of how capable it was.

* not even that long ago, seeing as Wii games suffered from that problem, and even the Wii U eShop only had PAL versions of games by default on its Virtual Console selection.

4 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I hope we do get Pilotwings 64, have Nintendo ever re-released it on anything? I'm worried there's some weird licensing issue holding it back.

I believe there is. Some third party tech or something.

That and it’s pretty hard to emulate.

4 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I get the complaints. They are valid. But what legit alternatives do I have?

If you don’t have another way of playing N64 games (and don’t want to invest in one which is 100% fair enough) then the best alternative surely would be to refuse to pay for a subpar product until Nintendo fix it. 

The more people who pony up when Nintendo do half a job the less likely they’ll ever be to change. 

10 hours ago, scottcr said:

Again, read my post/s. Great games, if not the very best games, just lousy presentation. There isn't a single dickhead anywhere that's saying OoT is awful.*

Come the fuck on (Nintendo, not you). Look at what Sega have done with their back catalogue since they 'died' - They funded M2 to blast their magic jizz all over the fucking place to the point where outside of owning genuine arcade hardware the Sega Ages range is widely considered the definitive way to play these old titles. If a company with the business acumen of fucking Sega can do this properly, from beyond the grave I might add, then why can't Nintendo?

I spend a lot of money with Nintendo every year, and yes, I get a lot of quality gaming in return. I personally think it's the very best of gaming. That's why when they cheap out like this it feels very annoying and short-sighted of them. I expect some of the money I spend to go towards projects such as the archival and maybe re-presentation of works. But no, I need to buy a MiSTer for that, it seems.

*You must have a 3DS, right? Don't you have OoT on that he can try afterwards? It's a borderline remake with all manner of improvements over the original.

I mean, what is wrong with Ocarina of Time? I’ve just been playing it in handheld mode and it’s fine, should I try and convince myself I can sense latency in the controls? 

Yeah sure the 3DS version is arguably better but this is the N64 library we’re paying for, it’s not as if they’re misleading anyone.

Imagine how good it'd be if they announced F-Zero X Deluxe.

1080p. 16:9 aspect ratio. Toggle on-the-fly between original textures and fancy new ones. All the DD Expansion Kit features. Ghost sharing. Mario Maker style custom cup sharing and leaderboards. Online modes (including Vs. Ghost TT - so a Vs. TT mode where players don't collide). Art galleries. Developer interviews...

It's painful and upsetting when you realise the chances of that are basically nil, because they're raking it in from shoveling ROMs out instead.

What about a 1080p/60fps Wave Race?

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I mean, what is wrong with Ocarina of Time? I’ve just been playing it in handheld mode and it’s fine, should I try and convince myself I can sense latency in the controls?

You don't have to sense anything. There's visible input delay just from watching people do comparisons on YouTube.

That's before we get into all the other graphical issues, and those lousy borders of course.

27 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Come the fuck on (Nintendo, not you). Look at what Sega have done with their back catalogue since they 'died' - They funded M2 to blast their magic jizz all over the fucking place to the point where outside of owning genuine arcade hardware the Sega Ages range is widely considered the definitive way to play these old titles. If a company with the business acumen of fucking Sega can do this properly, from beyond the grave I might add, then why can't Nintendo?

Not really a fair comparison considering to get those 19 Sega Ages games currently costs £113.81 and they’re apparently not doing any more because they didn’t sell very well.

17 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Not really a fair comparison considering to get those 19 Sega Ages games currently costs £113.81 and they’re apparently not doing any more because they didn’t sell very well.

If you're a huge fan of all of those games I don't think £113.81 is all that bad. I have nearly all of them myself. I'd happily pay full retail for my F-Zero idea above. Just like I paid £125 (and postage all the way to Singapore) for 3DS Ocarina, Majora, and Starfox. I couldn't get my hands on those fast enough.

12 minutes ago, Fallows said:

If you're a huge fan of all of those games I don't think £113.81 is all that bad. I'd happily pay full retail for my F-Zero idea above. Just like I paid £125 (and postage all the way to Singapore) for 3DS Ocarina, Majora, and Starfox. I couldn't get my hands on those fast enough.

I don’t necessarily disagree about the price (although who needs multiple versions of Puyo Puyo?) if you want every single one of those games but it’s a fundamentally different proposition to Nintendo bumping up the price of its online service and adding some N64 roms.