IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

4 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I did as a replacement for my flood affected N64 and games.

I'm pretty disappointed by this.

zelda-1280x720.jpg

The shot on the left, yeah it's blurry but atmospheric. The right? It looks like Link is going to go for a piss at the toilet block in the  local caravan park.

Nintendo needs to sort this. As a freebie I'd shrug my shoulders. As a "reward" for doubling the money I'm paying to them per year? Not on.

Wasn’t that fog thing debunked as a difference with the Japanese version?

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Wasn’t that fog thing debunked as a difference with the Japanese version?

Nope that's the Dark Link room. The fog and the water reflection was always there - it's one of the things that made that encounter so atmospheric.

Edit: Unless you mean what we're seeing in the Switch screenshot is only an issue with the Japanese version? That would be peculiar.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Not everyone inspects games with the navel gazing ferocity of digital foundry. For the average gamer, its fine.

Nintendo know full well that the target demographic (the average Switch user) won't notice or care about flaws that don't necessarily break the game.

Doing the bare minimum as cheaply as possible is  commercially sound in the short term but it's still shovelling mediocrity down users throats.

38 minutes ago, scottcr said:

'decimate'  

behave.

My son is down stairs right now with his switch hooked up to a 100" 4K projector and playing OoT for the first time ever and he's loving it.

OOT isn't exactly F-Zero X or Bangaioh or Goemon's Great Adventure though. 

But you're right. I'm only speaking for myself. *I* can't abide added input lag because it obliterates enjoyment of video games that I tend to prefer.

Anyway, I'm not here to undermine anyone's enjoyment of these easy-to-access N64 games. Go forth have fun.

As someone who has played OOT and Mario 64 loads, mostly on original hardware, I had definitely gotten to a point where when I was replaying I’d just accepted that the controls were a bit shit and my memory of them was better than reality. Having played them recently on a friends fancy CRT hooked up to the original consoles I was amazed by how much better everything felt. The original releases control beautifully, it’s the emulation and ports that are making them feel a bit janky and I do think that’s a real shame. 

On the general conversation regarding the ports and the price, I think we can feel that we wish more effort had been put into the releases but also keeping in perspective that the expansion pack, including N64, Mega Drive and Animal Crossing content is only £17 more (per year) than the standalone online service. 

So, I definitely wish it was better but if you already had Switch online it is not the biggest gaming outlay you'll ever face. 

I'm as bad as anyone for weighing up the pros and cons of spending that £17 which I occasionally have to put into perspective myself when I wander into Pret and spend £7 on a coffee and a sandwich. 

16 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

But you're right. I'm only speaking for myself. *I* can't abide added input lag because it obliterates enjoyment of video games that I tend to prefer.

Is there a particular game from the launch batch you've found the input lag to be particularly bad in? I've heard that it varies game-to-game.

17 minutes ago, McCoy said:

On the general conversation regarding the ports and the price, I think we can feel that we wish more effort had been put into the releases but also keeping in perspective that the expansion pack, including N64, Mega Drive and Animal Crossing content is only £17 more (per year) than the standalone online service. 

So, I definitely wish it was better but if you already had Switch online it is not the biggest gaming outlay you'll ever face. 

I'm as bad as anyone for weighing up the pros and cons of spending that £17 which I occasionally have to put into perspective myself when I wander into Pret and spend £7 on a coffee and a sandwich. 

I don't think its necessarily the price TBH. Its the fact they are doing their legacy games a dis-service by having sub-par experiences. 

If I was going to be playing some old games I'd hope Nintendo cared about them enough to actually enhance the games visually to bring them more to todays standards (or a least better than they were on the original hardware perhaps?). Shame its a missed opportunity really and Nintendo not really caring too much about showing off their legacy games running at their best. It's their heritage dammit! :) At a time when old games are running enhanced on new hardware and the community are making better efforts at enhancing the old games for newer hardware just a bit poor on Nintendo's part IMHO. I mean they did great jobs porting the old NES Mario games onto the SNES back in the day (Mario All Stars) - granted the hardware was less complicated etc but they still did a great job. 

However saying all that. At least they have ported them to a newer Nintendo platform and they are easily accessible. So there is that. 

12 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I don't think its necessarily the price TBH. Its the fact they are doing their legacy games a dis-service by having sub-par experiences. 

If I was going to be playing some old games I'd hope Nintendo cared about them enough to actually enhance the games visually to bring them more to todays standards (or a least better than they were on the original hardware perhaps?). Shame its a missed opportunity really and Nintendo not really caring too much about showing off their legacy games running at their best. It's their heritage dammit! :) At a time when old games are running enhanced on new hardware and the community are making better efforts at enhancing the old games for newer hardware just a bit poor on Nintendo's part IMHO.

Yeah.  I agree with that. 

Nintendo drives me up the wall most of the time. The remastered OOT and Star Fox no where to be seen. Simple border options and control customisations non-existent. A drip feed of N64 games, a decade after they were drip fed onto the Wii VC service. No sign of Gamecube games, GBA games or similar. No sign and quite possibly little prospect of the quirkier N64 games ever making an appearance. A developed track editor mode for F-Zero X which they have still never bothered into incorporate into any western re-release. 

It is a shit show. But equally, it is a shit show costing me only £17 per year. Last month I spent £50 on Deathloop and still haven't started it yet. On that basis, the hour I spent on Star Fox last night is still proving better value for money. 

Being a Nintendo fan is basically the gamer version of Stockholm Syndrome really. 

7 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Last month I spent £50 on Deathloop and still haven't started it yet.

You are my brother! I played about 3 hours, which I did enjoy, but then moved on to whatever-the-hell-else-I-decided-to-play-instead. 

Take comfort in the fact you're not alone, and it's probably more than just Nintendo doing it to you.

12 minutes ago, McCoy said:

It is a shit show. But equally, it is a shit show costing me £17. Last month I spent £50 on Deathloop and still haven't started it yet. On that basis, the hour I spent on Star Fox last night is still proving better value for money. 

Indeed guess this is the point. People probably wouldn't be prepared to pay for complete remasters. Or perhaps Nintendo don't have the resources/inclination to completely remaster their old games. Who knows. But yeah £17 can't really grumble at that and if you have no basis of comparison to the original games you wont really care.

Think this is the thing with Nintendo they rely a bit on new blood into the systems all the time - so for a lot of gamers a Nintendo Switch might be the first console ever so everything is effectively new. Whereas the older gamers :blah: have seen it all before (and more than likely bought the content a few times before!).

55 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Nope that's the Dark Link room. The fog and the water reflection was always there - it's one of the things that made that encounter so atmospheric.

Edit: Unless you mean what we're seeing in the Switch screenshot is only an issue with the Japanese version? That would be peculiar.

Yeah I know the room. I saw a tweet saying that comparison wasn’t legit as the Japanese version never had the fog in the first place. Buuut I don’t know what’s real/care anymore.

37 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

You are my brother! I played about 3 hours, which I did enjoy, but then moved on to whatever-the-hell-else-I-decided-to-play-instead. 

Take comfort in the fact you're not alone, and it's probably more than just Nintendo doing it to you.

That might have more to do with the fact (IMO) that deathloop isn't that good. Certainly not as good as dishonoured.

33 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah I know the room. I saw a tweet saying that comparison wasn’t legit as the Japanese version never had the fog in the first place. Buuut I don’t know what’s real/care anymore.

That version it turned out was the wiiu emulated version. Wiiu n64 emulation was terrible.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

As someone who has played OOT and Mario 64 loads, mostly on original hardware, I had definitely gotten to a point where when I was replaying I’d just accepted that the controls were a bit shit and my memory of them was better than reality. Having played them recently on a friends fancy CRT hooked up to the original consoles I was amazed by how much better everything felt. The original releases control beautifully, it’s the emulation and ports that are making them feel a bit janky and I do think that’s a real shame. 

It can also be the controls. There was a great video about the 3D Allstars Mario 64 port on how they’d got the controller latency right, and importantly analogue stick controls and acceleration, something previous ports had failed to do. 

All this chat is fascinating, and I’m looking forward to finding out for myself. I suspect, were I to play on original hardware on a CRT, then immediately play the emulated version, I’d notice the difference; but if I’m just cracking on with the NSO jobby I’ll be pig-in-muck happy. That suits me just fine. 

I've just had a couple of hours playing through. All looked good to me. For N64 games it definitely needs the N64 controller though. The lack of screen size and filtering options coupled with the intrusive borders are the things that irk me the most. I can never detect lag, so no issues for me. The image looked nice, bright and very smooth.

I played a bit of Star Fox and Zelda and they’re fine as far as I can tell. In fact they’ve clearly been up-res’ed because the pre-rendered interiors of Zelda are a blurry mess while the polygonal characters are relatively sharp. 

I can’t feel any input lag, and I don’t think I’m ignorant of that kind of thing - I’ve definitely noticed it in other games in the past. 

Played Mario Kart again this morning and the music was muddled and could barely be heard, hooked up my original N64 just to compare and yeah the sound is definitely not working correctly.

I have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed with how the N64 games were handled and frankly I’m shocked that Nintendo released them considering the state that they are in, I mean they all work ok and I’ve not had any crashes or any game breaking glitches, but they are generally worse than the original versions and considering that we have had to wait almost 5 years for the N64 to come to switch, its pretty bad that they are like this.

Does anyone know who handled the emulation for this? NERD did an amazing job with the NES, SNES and Mario 3D Allstars so if it was them then they really dropped the ball here. Hopefully Nintendo takes notice of the reaction and fixes the problems. 

A while ago I posted for recommendations for games to play on the OLED Switch I recently bought, I decided in the end to go back and replay Skyrim and once again I am absolutely loving being immersed in the gameworld.  I struggle to think of many better games than this, and it looks just stunning on the OLED.  I think this will keep me going for more than a little while.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

A while ago I posted for recommendations for games to play on the OLED Switch I recently bought, I decided in the end to go back and replay Skyrim and once again I am absolutely loving being immersed in the gameworld.  I struggle to think of many better games than this, and it looks just stunning on the OLED.  I think this will keep me going for more than a little while.

I was considering this myself, I love the game but I’ve never played it on Switch before. Will try and source a physical copy, no idea whether it’s hard to get hold of these days. 

8 hours ago, Broker said:

This discussion has given me the itch to play Zelda. The 3DS remake is absolutely gorgeous, it’s a shame it can’t be played on a TV.

Yeah the 3DS version still stands as the best one to play right now IMO, and I’m guessing, or hoping, it will form the basis for a 25th Anniversary remaster in 2023. I hope they add in motion controls as an option too as they work fantastically well in Skyward Sword which is one the best remasters I’ve seen on any system, it’s faithful to the original but improved in almost every way. 

1 minute ago, Broker said:

It’s not hard to get, just brutally overpriced. The switch version sells for about what I paid for the game on launch ten years ago. 

Shocking isn’t it, but to be expected I suppose on Nintendo platforms. The thought of playing it handheld on the OLED is very enticing

8 hours ago, Broker said:

This discussion has given me the itch to play Zelda. The 3DS remake is absolutely gorgeous, it’s a shame it can’t be played on a TV.

It CAN in the right circumstances, although not in 3D but it's faff.