IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It would be great if they gave all the games the same treatment as Mario 64 in the Mario 3D collection. 

Or indeed, the same treatment the community have given the Mario 64 port on certain Anbernic device firmwares. It’s a port, not emu.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It would be great if they gave all the games the same treatment as Mario 64 in the Mario 3D collection. 

Did they enhance it on that collection? (never really read up much on it - although lots of people seemed quite moany about the collection in general)

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Did they enhance it on that collection?

Not really bar a resolution increase but what they did do is made it play like the original in terms of controller input and low lag. It’s pretty much the most accurate conversion you can play. That’s all I want from these games short of a complete remaster, which they’d obviously charge more for. 

(they redid some textures too I think, but when you play it just feels like the original)

23 minutes ago, MattyP said:

lots of people seemed quite moany about the collection in general

People gotta people I guess.

Upset because the new Monkey Target isn’t a pixel perfect recreation of the original.

Upset because Mario 64 is a pixel perfect recreation of the original.

I'm sure this has been asked asked a hundred times before, but can anyone recommend any games to play with my three year old? I've got a Switch dock downstairs now, so it's fun to play games with him in the sitting room. He can barely hold the controller the right way up, and gets easily distracted, so anything that lets him feel like he's taking part and doesn't require me to constantly take control is what I'm looking for. Mario Kart 8's assist mode is perfect, as he just needs to press A and it steers for him. Any thing else like that?

I give up.  After what's now my forth attempt at getting into BOTW, I still find it bland, dull and uninteresting and I know its very much against the popular opinion but it even *looks* pretty poor to me visually in particular character design.  I really cant see what all the fuss is about.  Having levered myself away from the amazing Hades on the other hand, I find myself stuck as to what game I should buy next.  I only buy digital downloads these days and as much as I would like to buy Metroid, I am not sure its worth £50.  I have Mario Odyssey which was brilliant.  I do feel like something new though, any recommendations for single player Switch greatness before I just settle for a replay of Skyrim instead?

3 minutes ago, marcus said:

I give up.  After what's now my forth attempt at getting into BOTW, I still find it bland, dull and uninteresting and I know its very much against the popular opinion but it even *looks* pretty poor to me visually in particular character design.  I really cant see what all the fuss is about.  Having levered myself away from the amazing Hades on the other hand, I find myself stuck as to what game I should buy next.  I only buy digital downloads these days and as much as I would like to buy Metroid, I am not sure its worth £50.  I have Mario Odyssey which was brilliant.  I do feel like something new though, any recommendations for single player Switch greatness before I just settle for a replay of Skyrim instead?

Have you played Hollow Knight?

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Have you played Hollow Knight?

Looks interesting, I will have a closer look.   I bought also Dead Cells which is largely unplayed which also looks decent.  At this stage of life (47 yo family man) games need to quickly grab me, and Hades did that to a huge degree and I would say I became quite addicted to it too, being able to pick it up and instantly be in the thick of things fits well into my lifestyle.

Looks interesting, I will have a closer look.   I bought also Dead Cells which is largely unplayed which also looks decent.  At this stage of life (47 yo family man) games need to quickly grab me, and Hades did that to a huge degree and I would say I became quite addicted to it too, being able to pick it up and instantly be in the thick of things fits well into my lifestyle.

While it plays completely differently Dead Cells is a run based roguelite with background progression in the same way Hades is. There's a good chance you'd like it. I prefer it to Hades.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm sure this has been asked asked a hundred times before, but can anyone recommend any games to play with my three year old? I've got a Switch dock downstairs now, so it's fun to play games with him in the sitting room. He can barely hold the controller the right way up, and gets easily distracted, so anything that lets him feel like he's taking part and doesn't require me to constantly take control is what I'm looking for. Mario Kart 8's assist mode is perfect, as he just needs to press A and it steers for him. Any thing else like that?

Kirby Star Allies. He can just faff about while you take charge. It's ideal for little kids, my almost four year old loves it.

Well you mentioned wanting Metroid, and Hollow Knight is a more than worthy substitute if you don't want to part with £50. It's not the easiest of games, but if you enjoyed Hades then I doubt there's nothing you can't handle. If you're looking for something shorter, but no less essential, then check out Inside.

26 minutes ago, marcus said:

Skyward Sword.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

Which two?

Animal Crossing and Pokemon Let's Go.

9 hours ago, Jarik said:

So it's 5$ (not sure about the UK pricing) for the N64/Genesis games & $25 for the Animal Crossing DLC with no option not to have the DLC?

I was on the fence about the DLC but I guess i'll go for it.  I'm very curious now what happens when it comes time to renew.  Are they going to offer something else worth $25 or are you just going to be locked into the higher tier with no option to downgrade?

You don't keep the DLC if they sub expires though.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Tim is clearly a dickhead, but let’s be honest, is anyone here not going to subscribe because of the price hike? 

Yes, unless I see a deal. It's not worth that to me.

15 minutes ago, Strafe said:

It’s helpful that the link they include in that article is Emily literally being wrong about the Switch OLED so you know how seriously to take this info. 

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

You don't keep the DLC if the sub expires though.

Yeah, it's nuts to me. You're renting a handful of N64 games (and some Genesis re-releases) AND DLC. 

The N64 is a strange one to me now. A lot of nostalgia for it as it was my first proper system besides my gameboy. Both Zelda games and Starfox have excellent enhanced 3DS remasters which you can play on that system or emulate for even better results. Both Turok games have excellent enhanced remasters, I never paid them any mind back in the day but they more than rival the other FPS's on the system IMO. The excellent RARE Replay has a lot of their N64 games and a pretty much perfected Perfect Dark. The leaked version of the X360 Goldeneye was amazing as well. Played that earlier in the year, the first time I ever unlocked all the levels and difficulties as well. I'm never going back to the N64 versions of those.

What I would want from an N64 collection would be some stuff like Ogre Battle 64, F-Zero X with the expansion pak from the N64-DD, Excitebike 64, I'd probably give 1080 and Wave Race a go again. At least Sin and Punishment is on there. Although I bought that on my Wii ages ago...sigh. 

That new N64 controller is making the SNES Classic with two controllers and 21 games look like a right bargain back then.

I've seen numerous takes that $30 extra is too much for the N64 & Genesis games & I agree, but they all seem to miss that that includes the Animal Crossing DLC which is $25 by itself, making the N64 & Genesis games $5.

Nintendo could have introduced a middle tier where the base option plus N64 & Genesis was $25 or even $30 (making the 'full fat' option have a $5 discount on the AC DLC) but they didn't, leading me to think that they weren't sure how well the AC DLC would sell on its own (how did the Splatoon one do?) & so they joined them together in an attempt to boost sales.

I think the AC DLC is more pragmatism than anything - of all the first party games, that's the one most likely to have multiple accounts and Switches per household, they probably figured upping the family membership will get more uptake than asking people to shell out for multiple copies of the DLC.

15 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I've seen numerous takes that $30 extra is too much for the N64 & Genesis games & I agree, but they all seem to miss that that includes the Animal Crossing DLC which is $25 by itself, making the N64 & Genesis games $5.

It’s a rolling fee, so if you intend to continue playing the Animal Crossing DLC after the first year, you pay again for it, and again ..

At this juncture I feel they need explain their plans going forward and how it’s a better value proposition for family members.

I mean put it this way my daughter is going crazy about the Animal Crossing stuff but she has barely even touched any NES or SNES games, so why should she be interested in N64 or Megadrive?

Animal Crossing is their biggest game, and for most families it probably makes more sense to buy the DLC outright and continue with the cheaper base sub required for online functionality.

So, yeah, it’s only $5 for the N64 and Megadrive games, but I suspect most families have no interest in them, or the NES and SNES. 

I understand that it’s a rolling fee, but Nintendo have clarified that you can keep everything you bring from the DLC into your main island if you don’t renew.  You just can’t access the resort anymore.  For some people a year of ‘work’ might be enough.

Perhaps this is Nintendo testing the waters & when it comes time to renew they won’t offer something else also worth about $25, and if they do it will be something that goes away completely if you don’t resub, like a Splatoon 3 expansion.