Nintendo Switch

deKay

I’ve been using my Bluetooth headphones for the first time and they work great - I’m not audiophile (what they do to audio makes me sick) but there’s no discernible lag and it sounds clear. Good stuff. 

56 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve been using my Bluetooth headphones for the first time and they work great - I’m not audiophile (what they do to audio makes me sick) but there’s no discernible lag and it sounds clear. Good stuff. 

Oh nice. Is this in handheld or docked?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-24-nintendo-fans-fear-european-switch-online-n64-games-will-be-50hz

Nintendo fan excitement at the impending arrival of N64 games for Nintendo Switch Online has been tempered somewhat in Europe by confusion over whether we will get the region's original 50Hz versions.

A rewatch of last night's Nintendo Direct and comparisons with the versions shown in North America and Japan suggests the segment on N64 did use European PAL footage to advertise the upcoming Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass.

But it remains to be seen whether Nintendo will offer a simple switch between different localised copies, or offer the US 60Hz versions of games alongside the European 50Hz originals.

When contacted for more information on all of this by Eurogamer this morning, Nintendo UK replied: "We have nothing to announce on this topic."

This would be the most Nintendo thing ever seen.

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Looking around these are the 50Hz games on the WiiU VC

Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask

I'm playing through Paper Mario on the WiiU VC now and apart from the dark filter all N64 games suffer from on the system it's a good conversion. I'm not sure about the other games but DK64 ran terribly when I played it originally. 

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

I'm not sure about the other games but DK64 ran terribly when I played it originally. 

It ran pretty terribly on the N64.

14 hours ago, ZOK said:

It would make no difference to me if they were 50/60hz versions, personally.

I bet 95% of people will only end up playing them for a few minutes at most in any case.

I'd play GoldenEye and Perfect Dark online if they were updated to run at 60fps. Just add leaderboards to the singleplayers like Blast Corps. Subtle visual updates are also welcome.

But this... no, I'd rather get original gear if I had the itch.

None of the previous NSO virtual consoles have been 50Hz and the same bad footage was used internationally in the Direct (I think?) so I’m sure this is an oversight. Nintendo surely can’t be bothered programming a 50 Hz video mode switch, and running PAL50 games on a 60Hz video output with frame drops is something only Sony could do.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

I'd play GoldenEye and Perfect Dark online if they were updated to run at 60fps. Just add leaderboards to the singleplayers like Blast Corps. Subtle visual updates are also welcome.

But this... no, I'd rather get original gear if I had the itch.

Are they on this service? I would rinse Perfect Dark Combat Simulator again if that’s there!

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

None of the previous NSO virtual consoles have been 50Hz and the same bad footage was used internationally in the Direct (I think?) so I’m sure this is an oversight. Nintendo surely can’t be bothered programming a 50 Hz video mode switch, and running PAL50 games on a 60Hz video output with frame drops is something only Sony could do.

It’s because they compared the US Direct footage and ROTW footage that they realised we got the 50Hz ones:

During the North American version of the Nintendo Direct broadcast, the games shown ran at full speed. However, when compared to the Nintendo UK edition of the broadcast, the footage was noticeably slower, which hints that the games European players will get will be 50Hz, rather than 60Hz.

(from Nintendolife)

Also, Nintendo made Super Metroid, in 50Hz, run on 60Hz output on the Wii U.

This is Nintendo, remember.

NES and SNES emulation on the Switch has been amazing so don't quite buy that this would be any worse. This is like Switch Pro all over again with speculative rumors from rubbish websites.

Not saying the 50hz games won't happen, more that it would be quite surprising on recent form.

4 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

It blows my mind that they bothered to change the nintendo direct to show the PAL version. Its like they are proud.

Maybe the EU direct itself was in 50Hz.

Joycon drift has made it impossible for me to even start any games. The cursor/select thingy just flies to the top of the screen as soon as I let go of down.

I don’t understand it because it was fine until recently and I haven’t been using it - so it’s seemingly happened by itself while the Switch was just sitting there.

Yeah, my Pro stick is completely done; but it has played 1000s of hours of Splatoon2. But the joycons are on the way out, too.

Got some contact cleaner to try out, otherwise... might as well buy an OLED Switch, right?

Having just put a couple of hours into Cruisin Blast I have to say it has left me with a big grin on my face. If you like arcade racers then this is really bloody good. Totally over the top and it will look amazing on the OLED screen due to colours.

18 minutes ago, smac said:

Piece of paper ... buy a new Switch?

Tricky choice...

Mine don’t drift, but I bought a new Switch anyway…

14 hours ago, ZOK said:

Are they on this service? I would rinse Perfect Dark Combat Simulator again if that’s there!

No, they're both missing. I think it'd be fine to leave their graphics almost (or even completely) original, but I doubt anyone'd call 60fps sacrilegious when they were so compromised.

Add them to the N64 Mini with online multiplayer and a framerate update. Not much to ask, is it.

11 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah, my Pro stick is completely done; but it has played 1000s of hours of Splatoon2. But the joycons are on the way out, too.

Got some contact cleaner to try out, otherwise... might as well buy an OLED Switch, right?

Replacing the sticks in joycons isn’t hard, no soldering required. New ones are about £3 each.

Not sure what’s involved in fixing the Pro Controller, though.