IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

With the new OLED Switch I was going to sell my old Switch then thought about keeping it and leaving it as docked only.

I presume it's possible to instead of transfer my User/save data over to the OLED, I just sign in and download my games. Would have had to download them anyway.

As long as I'm not using them both at the same time it'll work ok?

Will the cloud saves have any delay or do they sync when starting a game?

And I presume I'll need an online sub? (getting one anyway for N64 goodness).

On 08/10/2021 at 10:03, Pug said:

With the new OLED Switch I was going to sell my old Switch then thought about keeping it and leaving it as docked only.

I presume it's possible to instead of transfer my User/save data over to the OLED, I just sign in and download my games. Would have had to download them anyway.

As long as I'm not using them both at the same time it'll work ok?

Will the cloud saves have any delay or do they sync when starting a game?

And I presume I'll need an online sub? (getting one anyway for N64 goodness).

Just copy the users you want over to the OLED from the old switch using user transfer. You have the option to leave or delete them from the old one. 

Then just go to the Eshop and redownload what you want. As long as you have an active online sub it will ask you if you want to download cloud saves. First time you run a redownloaded game You have to download it manually but after that it will all sync up. 

Bear in mind that on your new switch it will require an online check when you first start an Eshop game. All users on the primary will be able to play anything you own without a check. You can switch this over at any time. 

All set now, pretty much how you said. Thanks for going to the effort for the advice. 🙂👍

Decided I'm going to sell the old Switch now as my daughter wasn't bothered with a permanently docked communal Switch and I don't really need it.

I just picked up a switch and I'm looking to a get a second dock. I know there were problems with some 3rd party docks, is the current advice still to stick with official docks only? Are there any good 3rd party docks that won't kill my switch?

Also looking for recommendations for a co-op game for a young kid (4 years old). She enjoys New Super Mario Brothers, but looking for something to help encourage her reading a bit.  How is Pokemon Let's Go as a co-op game? Any good educational titles?

I’d say anything that uses a separate USB-C cable is OK. Ones that have you drop the Switch in like the official dock are apparently really likely to short it out. There was a bad power regulator chip on early docks but I think that’s gone now.

2 hours ago, marcus said:

Am looking to buy a game for my 7yo daughter (she has Yoshi), and was looking at Animal Crossing.   Is that suitable for someone her age?

It’s the game. My daughter in 7 too, 8 in November and she has been playing it religiously since it came out in March 2020.

I bought the 25 quid Space Invaders three pack so I could have Space Invaders Extreme. It's supposed to have Arkanoid Vs Space Invaders as an extra download but I can't find it in the store. Does anyone know how to unlock it?

5 hours ago, marcus said:

Am looking to buy a game for my 7yo daughter (she has Yoshi), and was looking at Animal Crossing.   Is that suitable for someone her age?

It’s perfect. We got it in March 2020 when my son was six and a half. He’s now eight and it’s still his most played - and most talked about - game. 

Just be prepared for tears before bedtime if they accidentally allow their favourite villager to leave the island…good god, my son was traumatised. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s perfect. We got it in March 2022 when my son was six and a half. He’s now eight and it’s still his most played - and most talked about - game. 

Just be prepared for tears before bedtime if they accidentally allow their favourite villager to leave the island…good god, my son was traumatised. 

Your timeline confuses me but I'm gonna need some lottery numbers.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I bought the 25 quid Space Invaders three pack so I could have Space Invaders Extreme. It's supposed to have Arkanoid Vs Space Invaders as an extra download but I can't find it in the store. Does anyone know how to unlock it?

If anyone else is wondering it downloads automatically as a separate icon 

B6D9D482-3C6E-4598-A395-8BFD553D8E45.jpeg

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

The Switch I’ve borrowed to play Dread is unusable due to drift. Apologies if this has been asked a million times, but how do I fix it? And if I can’t, what’s the cheapest way to get a functioning pad? Are the PowerA controllers decent? Or this thing?:

XGc6I61l.jpg

You have a few options:

1. There's a kind of skirt, under the the stick - blast it with contact cleaner.  This is usually enough to clear out the accumulated gunk when the joy con is still young, but stops working after a while in my experience, presumably because as time marches on the amount of crap inside gets to be too much
  2. Send it to Nintendo for repairs - I believe they now do it for free forever (i.e. outside the one year warranty) as it's been acknowledged to be a design flaw... but it will take weeks for the whole process to complete and for you to get the joy con back
  3. Repair it yourself - you'll need replacement sticks, an iFixit repair kit and an additional tri-wing screwdriver (how-to guide - click either the left or right stick guide from there, as suits your needs)

Self-repair is fiddly, but not too difficult.

So, can anyone help me to try and work out how to play games on multiple Switch’s using different accounts;

We had the original Switch in the living room but that’s been replaced with the new model. I bought A Short Hike on the original Switch with my account but my daughter could also play it on that Switch under her account and profile, on the new one it’s telling her she doesn’t have permission to use the software even though my profile is on the new console as well and I did the initial set up. 

So we have both our profiles and accounts on the new console and the old one, yet she can only play games I’ve bought on the old one. Is there any way around this? We also have the family online plan so we can both access cloud data etc. 

I know this might look daft but I found it to be a decent back-up controller for the Switch. My joycons are shot and I didn't want to keep shelling out for more or £50 on the pro controller. It has most functions apart from NFC. It's not very heavy but the battery is good enough and you can make it light up all pretty like. 

I got this one which is out of stock-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HK9DSL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it looks the same as this one which I think is the same and is only £19

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-Colourful-Wireless-Adjustable-Vibration/dp/B08DLS17Q6/ref=pd_sbs_3/259-4217159-3941369?pd_rd_w=xKIHr&pf_rd_p=ec0d6bb8-c55d-4802-ad84-5a3538edcced&pf_rd_r=ACBBNVVGQB3GMTMS19HZ&pd_rd_r=e0bdda28-c59f-410f-a8d1-ccf749ea76c3&pd_rd_wg=Upbti&pd_rd_i=B08DLS17Q6&psc=1

I completed Hades using it so it can't be that bad. 

Do any third party controllers turn the Switch on from sleep? I’ve got a couple of 8bitdo controllers (SNES and Megadrive styles) and absolutely love them, but the only thing from holding me back from getting the Pro 2, which is highly rated and half the price of the Nintendo Pro controller, is that it can’t do that.