IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

I have come into possession of a NS lite, in exchange for changing a mate's Fiesta Alternator 🙂

What is considered the best "reliable" review website for games? I am reading the eshop thread but I'm 4 years behind everyone else 🤨.

I just downloaded Virtua racing, Firewatch and INSIDE... I like the look of Alien isolation but unsure if that better suits a docked Switch, not the lite?

First step is to get an account set up at Deku Deals, and build a wishlist there. Eshop sales can be crazy sometimes with the deepest of discounts, so it's good for keeping track of historic price drops.

Second, what are you into? There's a common thread of games that get universal praise and are considered ideal to the format of the Switch (Enter The Gungeon, Hollow Knight and Into the Breach come up a lot) but if you share the style of games you're into then people will chuck forward ideas abound!

I am 46 and have reactions of someone 86... I liked Dead Space on my PS3 so think the Alien game could be good, otherwise retro games or "slow" games are about my level, not too fussed about brand new games - Happy to let them drop in price after a year or 2. (My 3 games so far were a total of £10.50 😅 )

I'll look at Deku deals cheers.

1 hour ago, dino_jr said:

I am 46 and have reactions of someone 86... I liked Dead Space on my PS3 so think the Alien game could be good, otherwise retro games or "slow" games are about my level, not too fussed about brand new games - Happy to let them drop in price after a year or 2. (My 3 games so far were a total of £10.50 😅 )

Return of the Obra Dinn - murder mystery on a pirate ship. Amazing. 

Slay The Spire - card game based rogue like. 

Just two of my favourite games on the switch...

2 hours ago, dino_jr said:

I have come into possession of a NS lite, in exchange for changing a mate's Fiesta Alternator 🙂

What is considered the best "reliable" review website for games? I am reading the eshop thread but I'm 4 years behind everyone else 🤨.

I just downloaded Virtua racing, Firewatch and INSIDE... I like the look of Alien isolation but unsure if that better suits a docked Switch, not the lite?

Mark of the Ninja.

2 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Resi 4. 

Fucking portable headshots mate let’s goooooo.

5 hours ago, dino_jr said:

Slay the Spire. No rushing or reactions required. I’ll be still playing this when I’m 85. 

Alien Isolation is ideal for portable play, as it means you can sit on the toilet and save having to change your pants when you encounter an alien. Plus it looks amazing on the wee screen and with headphones on is the best way to play.

16 hours ago, dino_jr said:

http://switchplayer.net

You may also want to subscribe to their actual paper actual magazine like it's the 90s.

image.thumb.png.5265befbc7ef2e5dfe5173bedc66b629.png

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I bought Hatsune Miku with all the DLC and I’m now out of storage space. What memory card is recommended? The one in the original post is no longer available, and I assume the technology might have improved since then.

I don’t know if these are the best ones to use, but I have these in my Switches:

https://www.base.com/buy/product/sandisk-64gb-microsdxc-card-for-nintendo-switch-u3/dgc-sdsqxat~2D064g~2Dgnczn.htm

https://www.base.com/buy/product/sandisk-128gb-microsdxc-card-for-nintendo-switch-u3/dgc-sdsqxao~2D128g~2Dgnczn.htm

(Other stockists and cards available, of course.)

edit: deKay’s advice below is probably better advice!

Edited by Protocol Penguin

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I don’t know if these are the best ones to use, but I have these in my Switches:

https://www.base.com/buy/product/sandisk-64gb-microsdxc-card-for-nintendo-switch-u3/dgc-sdsqxat~2D064g~2Dgnczn.htm

https://www.base.com/buy/product/sandisk-128gb-microsdxc-card-for-nintendo-switch-u3/dgc-sdsqxao~2D128g~2Dgnczn.htm

(Other stockists and cards available, of course.)

(Other SD cards might be better, but I’m more concerned about being sold a fake card than anything else.)

HOW MUCH?!

Try https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-128gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-80mb-s.html (128MB)

or https://www.mymemory.co.uk/samsung-256gb-evo-plus-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html (256MB)

Just now, deKay said:

Those are better choices, I imagine. I’m just very vary about fake cards, but don’t really know what I’m looking for.

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I bought Hatsune Miku with all the DLC and I’m now out of storage space. What memory card is recommended? The one in the original post is no longer available, and I assume the technology might have improved since then.

I’m not the worlds foremost expert on SD cards, but as I understand it, the ‘best’ card the Switch can take is UHS-1. So while it’s true to say technology has moved on, the Switch hasn’t. I’ve got an Integral 512GB card myself, no complaints. 

20 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Those are better choices, I imagine. I’m just very vary about fake cards, but don’t really know what I’m looking for.

My Memory is reputable. I always get my SD cards from there. Just avoid their own brand - which are probably fine but I've never trusted any "own brand" flash storage.

Samsung, Integral, Sandisk, Kingston - all decent brands. I'd say Lexar but my 3DS card was a Lexar and that died so I'm wary of them now. In reality though, all your saves are on the Switch itself so a dead SD card shouldn't lose you your saves in most cases.

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’m not the worlds foremost expert on SD cards, but as I understand it, the ‘best’ card the Switch can take is UHS-1. So while it’s true to say technology has moved on, the Switch hasn’t. I’ve got an Integral 512GB card myself, no complaints. 

Just to clear this up:

UHS-I (1) is the ordinary microSDXC card bus. The Switch has this. The Switch supports speed class U1 and U3 cards.

There is a UHS-II (2) bus which is a different physical socket. The Switch doesn’t have that but almost nothing does.

There is no UHS-III (3) bus, it was cancelled.

On 26/06/2021 at 20:39, Mr Do 71 said:

Mark of the Ninja.

I downloaded this yesterday. It's like a 2D MGS, just fantastic, and violent !

This plus Virtua Racing are a bit of a revelation really, I thought I was "over" games at my age 😅

Eye strain might become an issue soon, a dockable Switch may be preferable... I guess I'll jump on the "When is the Pro" question-train shortly 🤨

If it says “microSDXC” and “U1” or “U3” on it, you’re set, nothing else needed. I have a U1 and it’s fine, but if a U3 card is cheaper at a particular capacity (which happens pretty often with sales) then all the better.

On 26/06/2021 at 18:06, dino_jr said:

In Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls and Slay the Spire, you literally have three of the best games ever, that you could easily play for hundreds if not thousands of hours between them.

I would start there.