Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s not too late for Nintendo to go third party and turn this around. 

I think if they listened to the fanbase more they wouldn’t be in this awful position. 

On 06/05/2021 at 19:20, jonathanhoey said:

Have any of you had a water-damaged Switch repaired by Nintendo UK recently? How much is it, and how long is the turnaround?

My son’s did this time last year, with the pandemic as it was then it took six weeks for the fix and return. It cost £179 to have fixed. 

1 hour ago, suzzopher said:

My son’s did this time last year, with the pandemic as it was then it took six weeks for the fix and return. It cost £179 to have fixed. 

Might as well buy a new one and sell the old as spares!

I’ve just registered to send my drifty Joy-Con off to Nintendo for a fix, it’s a red one from the Mario Odyssey pack so pretty old now. Does this mean it’ll cost me to fix as it’ll be out of warranty? 

18 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Thanks @suzzopher.

New one is already here. Just weighing up options for what to do with the old one. 

My switch dropped in a bucket of water and vinegar and totally died. I bought  a new one but several weeks later the water damaged switch miraculously started working again and is now completely fine.

39 minutes ago, little che said:

My switch dropped in a bucket of water and vinegar and totally died. I bought  a new one but several weeks later the water damaged switch miraculously started working again and is now completely fine.

I would definitely be taking it apart, pulling the battery connector off, giving it a bloody good clean up inside and letting it air, LOTS!

It might be magically working now, but there will be bits of corrosion forming inside that will eventually do for it, get to saving it's life :)

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I’ve just registered to send my drifty Joy-Con off to Nintendo for a fix, it’s a red one from the Mario Odyssey pack so pretty old now. Does this mean it’ll cost me to fix as it’ll be out of warranty? 

Nope, they now do joy con repairs for free:

https://www.theverge.com/21504741/nintendo-switch-joy-con-drift-problem-explained

The repairs form on the Nintendo website has a series of yes/no questions you flow through, and if you correctly follow the workflow for joy con drift repair, it should confirm so*. Do press them on it, though, if they as for money, it’s supposed to be free. 

Disclaimer - not see this with my own eyes, but was told it was the case.

20 hours ago, deKay said:

Might as well buy a new one and sell the old as spares!

Not least because you'd end up with 2 extra joycon that way.

5 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I would definitely be taking it apart, pulling the battery connector off, giving it a bloody good clean up inside and letting it air, LOTS!

It might be magically working now, but there will be bits of corrosion forming inside that will eventually do for it, get to saving it's life :)

Yep, plain water is more or less safe so long as the machine doesn't short itself while wet, but vinegar (or saltwater - be careful at the beach!) will inevitably kill sensitive electronics over time if not quickly treated.

20 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can anyone recommend a game that will help with using the analog sticks? My three year old is really enjoying Pokémon Snap but she’s hopeless at moving the crosshair around.

Can’t you just use motion controls?

37 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can anyone recommend a game that will help with using the analog sticks? My three year old is really enjoying Pokémon Snap but she’s hopeless at moving the crosshair around.

I found the controls a bit crap by default. If the issue is mostly the twin sticks then...

In the game settings switch the sticks so the main camera is on the left rather than the pointer and boost sensitivity a lot (I put it at max). Then you never need to use the pointer.

This also makes it easier to press all the other buttons without needing to stop moving the camera.

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

Does this mean it’ll cost me to fix as it’ll be out of warranty? 

It shouldn’t do. I just got a couple of out of warranty drifty joycons repaired and it was free. They may even have replaced them with new ones. They certainly look new and I had to pair them with the Switch again too.

17 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

My 4 year old plays it in handheld with motion controls, you can just stand up and literally point the Switch at where the Pokemon is to move the camera, she much prefers it that way. Depends how much you trust her waving the Switch around the room though I guess!

16 hours ago, andyw said:

It shouldn’t do. I just got a couple of out of warranty drifty joycons repaired and it was free. They may even have replaced them with new ones. They certainly look new and I had to pair them with the Switch again too.

Is that in the uk?

A third party, in no way involved in the product, mentioned the same news stories we’ve all seen about Nintendo supposedly using OLED.

God Techradar are shit. It’s like them and T3 are in a race to have a 100% ads to content ratio.

That's such fucking terrible reporting. The report literally says the reports/rumours are a reason to think OLED use is expanding. No confirmation. No contract. No nothing 

I would kill for a 3D Donkey Kong; wanted one for years.

Groan, not more 2.5d! The Retro Studios games and Jungle Beat were great but c'mon!

Just now, R0b said:

I would kill for a 3D Donkey Kong; wanted one for years.

It's 2D apparently - fat fingers hit the wrong number. :lol: