Nintendo Switch

How good are Nintendo for replacing joycons with drift?  And do they return the same ones?  I have the Mario Odyssey Switch with the Mario Red left and right Joycons, would I get those back or just standard colours?  

18 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Why aren't you using the dpad for those? 

Because dpad is awful also. Very easy to input up/down when inputting left/right. It's the worst dpad I've used since the xbox 360 in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

Had it just over a week now and I’m really unimpressed by the switch pro controller. It’s terrible for 2D games.

The stick feels too long and it has a massive dead zone for games with digital inputs.

Use the d-pad then. You shouldn’t be using an analogue controller for digital input.

2 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Because dpad is awful also. Very easy to input up/down when inputting left/right. It's the worst dpad I've used since the xbox 360 in all honesty.

I’ve played thousands of hours on the Pro controller on all sorts of games that use the d-pad and never once done this.

Just now, deKay said:

I’ve played thousands of hours on the Pro controller on all sorts of games that use the d-pad and never once done this.

I've just been playing the streets of rage games on the mega drive collection and it was a common issue when trying to do quick turns. 3DS didn't give me this problem because that D-Pad was much tigher whereas the pro controller D-Pad is relaitvely loose by comparison.
If you slide your thumb over the D-Pad like I do for faster inputs you will press up and down quite often.

Thankfully I own the pokken controller so I never have to deal with this when playing on docked mode. The pro controller is designed with analogue in mind and it really shows when playing 2D games. The d-pad has let me down when playing monster boy also. I want to quick change to a certain animal form but letting go of the dpad input causes it to register another input, causing me to pick the wrong animal if I'm not holding the input down when pressing A.

It's just a cumliation of small annoyances that is probably going to cause me to take a dislike to any 2D game which requires analogue input (so no pokken controller usage on those). Joycons will probably go back to being my controller of choice for handheld mode now that I've spent some time with the pro.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

Had it just over a week now and I’m really unimpressed by the switch pro controller. It’s terrible for 2D games.

The stick feels too long and it has a massive dead zone for games with digital inputs.

Your answer was a few posts up 

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The 8bitdo Pro 2 controller for Switch, PC and Android is getting some glowing write-ups. I've pre-ordered the classic one, despite having the official Pro controller already, because I'm a chump.

image.thumb.png.dc019a8ddd6e914c53e19d1b020abbcf.png

It's out later this month.

Could tell the Switch Pro dpad was poor by just looking at it so bought the 8bitdo Pro controller specifically for 2D games and arcade style games. Works great for them. 

12 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

I've just been playing the streets of rage games on the mega drive collection and it was a common issue when trying to do quick turns. 3DS didn't give me this problem because that D-Pad was much tigher whereas the pro controller D-Pad is relaitvely loose by comparison.
If you slide your thumb over the D-Pad like I do for faster inputs you will press up and down quite often.

I've played and completed all three SoR games on the Mega Drive collection using only the pro controller. And loads of others on there too (nearly half of them, actually). And the Sonic games. And most of the Sega Ages titles. And a number of SNES and NES games. And some of the Castlevania ones. Gunvolt, Code of Princess, 70+ hours of Hollow Knight, all the Picrosses, Wulverblade, River City Girls, Monster Boy, Xeodrifter, Horace, Shantae, Saboteur, Gato Roboto, Mario Maker 2... many many more. Every single game that works better with a d-pad in fact.

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

How good are Nintendo for replacing joycons with drift?  And do they return the same ones?  I have the Mario Odyssey Switch with the Mario Red left and right Joycons, would I get those back or just standard colours?  

If you’re within warranty you’ll be fine - mine were repaired, not replaced. 

If you’re outside warranty be prepared to pony up. 

52 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Any cheap Nintendo Online subs anywhere? mines gone and run out again, an I wanna try this Pacman 99 thing out :(

Buy Tetris 99, use the code and then sell the game on.

And I think Nintendo are still running a promo where you get £1.50 in reward points for any 12 month Online subscription, except for automatic renewals. This includes codes from CDKeys.

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

And I think Nintendo are still running a promo where you get £1.50 in reward points for any 12 month Online subscription, except for automatic renewals. This includes codes from CDKeys.

I didn’t know this! Might be a good time to stack up. 

To jump back a couple of posts I also think the dpad on the pro controller is absolute garbage. It's impossible to be accurate on Tetris 99 and it's pretty difficult to play Pac-Man 99 too. It just clunky and inaccurate.

20 hours ago, Popo said:

If you’re within warranty you’ll be fine - mine were repaired, not replaced. 

If you’re outside warranty be prepared to pony up. 

Crumbs :(

Is there a particular set of ‘forum recommended’ alternative JoyCons? The DPAD is awful, and I don’t find them particularly comfortable to hold either. 

I think the only real alternative for using with a handheld Switch is the Hori Split Pad Pro. That doesn’t do wireless at all though, it’s only for use on the handheld.

24 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

There are no alternative joy cons that do all the same things I think, there's just replacing the cases and dpads but using the original guts.

I haven’t heard of third party shells for original components, do you have a link?

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

...I also think the dpad on the pro controller is absolute garbage. It's impossible to be accurate on Tetris 99 and it's pretty difficult to play Pac-Man 99 too. It just clunky and inaccurate.

I have played over 80 hours of Tetris 99 and 6 hours of Pacman 99 without experiencing any Pro controller dpad issues whatsoever.

However, I'm also one of those wierdos that hasn't yet experienced joy-con drift across the three sets that I own... :huh:

Anyone got one of these?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/pokemon-umbreon-switch-controller/p/713115467854102

Just wondering if they were worth getting over the Pro Controller or Joycons.  Don’t have any stick drift, more for multiplayer stuff like Smash, MK8, etc.

Edit:  Found it on Amazon, for £6 more, reviews seem ok, and it has the ‘Nintendo Seal of Approval’, but so did Rise of the Robots.  

Edited by Ivanho
Found some reviews on Amazon
1 minute ago, Mike said:

Finished Stretchers last night with the other half.  We loved it, looking for something else like it now.

Have a look at Good Job. It's on sale at the minute and I preferred it to Stretchers.

Or if you're after more co-op push/pulling, try Moving Out. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

They even patched something into Tetris 99 to address the dpad issue on the pro controller. If that's not an ultimate indictment that there's a problem with it I don't know what is.

It’s a whole separate mode you can toggle on, isn’t it? “Shite d-pad mode”.