Nintendo Switch

Side by side comparisons are always going to be easier than just watching a game and identifying whether it looks smooth. I don’t notice that Animal Crossing is 30 FPS until I’ve played Hades for a bit, or vice versus.

There may be more to this Switch Pro thing. I know we've mocked it with game sequel wishlists, but some are talking about an Nvidia mobile strategy that's inadvertently leaked here. I mean, makes sense with them also buying Arm.

If nVidia can get a good, general purpose machine learning scaler on to a mobile phone chip, so you could get 4K rendering without the associated heat and power consumption, that would be a big deal.

Edit - I’m not sure that they’re likely to be there yet, though. DLSS 2.0 still only works for specific games it is trained to scale up, and I don’t see an advantage for that on mobile phones.

I'm hoping there's some kind of evolution of the stream to TV side of it. Firestick type element rather than a big old docking station. My other (unlikely) wish is the ergonomics don't brutalise the hands of anyone who doesn't sport delicate pixie like appendages! (though the two controllers when detached are brilliant like the wii-motes before them, if a little on the diddy size)

28 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

If nVidia can get a good, general purpose machine learning scaler on to a mobile phone chip, so you could get 4K rendering without the associated heat and power consumption, that would be a big deal.

Edit - I’m not sure that they’re likely to be there yet, though. DLSS 2.0 still only works for specific games it is trained to scale up, and I don’t see an advantage for that on mobile phones.

I thought DLSS didn't need game specific training anymore?

I had read that but it’s not the case. What they have done is changed to using a more general pre-trained model as the starting point, which makes the subsequent game-specific training quicker and more efficient. But each game still needs its own trained model.

Edit - Actually, re-reading it, it’s just when they describe the training approach that they use examples which make it seem like it is training for specific games, when describing applications they say it’s a general model. I have to assume that they have actually got a general model and it’s just one bit of badly written copy. Which, yeah, if you can do that on a mobile device is a big deal.

Edit 2 - It’s even a UE4 plugin now! I can only assume that only the limited user base is stopping developers using it left and right.

My other half got a Switch lite this evening, I love it but now makes my fat Switch feel crappy as a handheld - thank god a pro is coming out or I’d be getting a switch lite for myself!

I just wanted to transfer some screenshots, so I turned off my switch... yes, all the way off, not just asleep, and removed the SD card.

I put it in my computer and it said it needed formatting, so I ignored that, took it out and put it back in the switch. Now the switch says the sd card needs to be formatted.

Whyyyy :(

Has anyone else had this happen and is there any fix? Am I going to lose a fuckton of save data and have to download 50 or 60 gigs of data again just because I took the card out?!

2 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

I just wanted to transfer some screenshots, so I turned off my switch... yes, all the way off, not just asleep, and removed the SD card.

I put it in my computer and it said it needed formatting, so I ignored that, took it out and put it back in the switch. Now the switch says the sd card needs to be formatted.

Has anyone else had this happen and is there any fix? Am I going to lose a fuckton of save data and have to download 50 or 60 gigs of data again just because I took the card out?!

Happened to me twice. Most recently last week. 60 gig? Mine was almost 500 :(

At least saves are safe. In future I’m transferring via USB cable.

9 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Is your computer a Mac?

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Is your computer a Mac?

Mine is, but the first time it happened was when I used a PC.

I did read that the invisible dotfiles that Macs create cause a checksum to change and the Switch to no longer recognise the card. It's plausible but don't know if it's true.

EDIT: Also doesn't explain the hundreds of times when it *didn't* happen.

10 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

My left joycon is finally busted. It won't stop inputting left. What do?

Replace the stick with one from Amazon. IFixit has a guide. Sticks are £5 a pair, but it’s worth buying an electronics repair toolkit to get a good spudger, opening pick, angled tweezers etc. No soldering, just fiddly tiny ribbon cables. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Mine is, but the first time it happened was when I used a PC.

I did read that the invisible dotfiles that Macs create cause a checksum to change and the Switch to no longer recognise the card. It's plausible but don't know if it's true.

EDIT: Also doesn't explain the hundreds of times when it *didn't* happen.

Yes but it's Nintendo so *this is where the shrug emoji would go IF WE HAD THEM ENABLED*

On 26/03/2021 at 13:06, TehStu said:

There may be more to this Switch Pro thing. I know we've mocked it with game sequel wishlists, but some are talking about an Nvidia mobile strategy that's inadvertently leaked here. I mean, makes sense with them also buying Arm.

I mean, the Switch Pro is 99% likely to exist, because of all the developer leaks, but I guess it remains to be seen if it's a running change like the Improved Battery Life(tm) model, a New 3DS style upgrade 'thing', or essentially a Switch 2. Or combination thereof.

Had a mild panic attack on the weekend when I realised that the two game vouchers I purchased through Nintendo online had expired (I totally forgot I had them). Luckily customer support have extended each by a year. They also recently refunded me when I bought the Splatoon 2 DLC through the Aus store that didn't work with the game as I purchased it in the UK. I was expecting Nintendo to give me a hard time over both issues but they sorted them quickly. Phew!