Nintendo Switch

I’m expecting a little more grunt, DLSS would be great for upscaling and enhancing and hopefully battery life will push a little further. But I’ll be surprised if most of the extra price of the new model isn’t on the screen.

Expecting some big performance update (outside of what DLSS can do to run at high res output) seems setting yourself up for the classic disappointment with Nintendo’s approach to hardware.

You do wonder looking at something as utterly beautiful like Bowsers Fury how much difference a bit of extra ram or grunt would really make in a pro model. It being in 4K60 would be nice I suppose, but I don’t think it would add much to the experience. Chasing specs is a mugs game. 

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You do wonder looking at something as utterly beautiful like Bowsers Fury how much difference a bit of extra ram or grunt would really make in a pro model. It being in 4K60 would be nice I suppose, but I don’t think it would add much to the experience. Chasing specs is a mugs game. 

Bowser's Fury has terrible aliasing and when Bowser appears the frame-rate is crap. It is nice looking but it is not remotely hard to imagine it looking and performing much better. It's pushing the Switch to breaking point and it shows.

Occurs to me that the Switch is the first Nintendo handheld I haven't replaced with an upgraded version within 2 years. That must be why I'm so hungry for an upgrade.

EDIT: Tweet I linked to wasn't as big of a deal as i thought so nvm on that.

Expectations of this thing are through the roof so I'll just reiterate what I've gleamed:

-DLSS enabled, both docked and undocked.

-Xbox One S level of power in Docked mode. Without DLSS that is.

-Exclusive games will come to the Pro but mainly in the form of Third Party games not yet ported to Switch (think RDR2, GTA5, FF7R, KH3, etc.). Maaaaaaybe some Nintendo games but only after 2-3 years.

-Can reach 4K in terms of resolution.

And yes, this is a gamechanger for mobile and lower powered hardware. That's why it doesn't suprise me that Nintendo is going all in on this.

14 hours ago, Majora said:

Bowser's Fury has terrible aliasing and when Bowser appears the frame-rate is crap.

Only in handheld, I assume? It doesn't seem to happen when docked.

9 hours ago, HarMGM said:

EDIT: Tweet I linked to wasn't as big of a deal as i thought so nvm on that.

Expectations of this thing are through the roof so I'll just reiterate what I've gleamed:

-DLSS enabled, both docked and undocked.

-Xbox One S level of power in Docked mode. Without DLSS that is.

-Exclusive games will come to the Pro but mainly in the form of Third Party games not yet ported to Switch (think RDR2, GTA5, FF7R, KH3, etc.). Maaaaaaybe some Nintendo games but only after 2-3 years.

-Can reach 4K in terms of resolution.

You missed:

- Free Nintendo Online with every Pro console

- Exclusive N64 (at launch) and GC (later) library like the current NES/SNES ones

- Double gold coins when you buy on the eShop via your Pro

- Pro Dock also lets you charge additional joycon

- Bluetooth audio capability built in

- Two card slots so you can have two games in at the same time

- Doug Bowser's personal whatsapp for sexy chats

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, but you've got one of those super rare ninja specced Switches that doesn't chug on Hyrule Warriors ;)

HW chugs a bit but in a way it seems like it's supposed to - same as the original. It all slows down (rather than framerate drops badly) when you do certain attacks.

I play mostly 2 player which doesn't do those slowdown attacks (otherwise it'd slow down the other player!) and there's hardly any slowdown or frame nonsense that I notice.

HW Framerate nose-dives in some areas, particularly in the very first level which seems to be the worst offender.

Bowser's Fury also has some framerate problems when it gets busy and you're high up with lots of stuff going on.  

I'm convinced you observe the world in 10fps and miss all these things.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

HW Framerate nose-dives in some areas, particularly in the very first level which seems to be the worst offender.

Bowser's Fury also has some framerate problems when it gets busy and you're high up with lots of stuff going on.  

I'm convinced you observe the world in 10fps and miss all these things.

As I've said many times, I can't see the difference between 30/60/120 fps, and on some tests I've tried I can't tell the difference as low as 15fps. But I do, usually, see when the framerates are all over the shop, especially if they dip really low.

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

As I've said many times, I can't see the difference between 30/60/120 fps, and on some tests I've tried I can't tell the difference as low as 15fps. But I do, usually, see when the framerates are all over the shop, especially if they dip really low.

I know you've said that but I really can't get my head around not being able to tell the difference between 15fps and 60fps.  My brain just can't process that.

I didn't really understand it until back in the day when I got a PC capable of handling WOW with all the bells and whistles. I can understand someone living in ignorance, I can't accept deKay is living in ignorance.

8 hours ago, scottcr said:

I know you've said that but I really can't get my head around not being able to tell the difference between 15fps and 60fps.  My brain just can't process that.

I’ll describe it to you. 15 looks smooth. 60 looks smooth. They both look the same.

Just now, TehStu said:

Is that a gif? Can gifs do 60fps?

I guess they made a video at 60, and converted to gif at 30

I'll allow it

image.png.9675a2dd72c4bfd63b2301f1e6716791.png

It's a shame people keep mentioning the visual difference when it's relatively small as a hands-off viewer, while the interactive difference is potentially huge. It's about input lag (especially cumulative), not smoothness.

50ms is 20fps.

12 hours ago, deKay said:

I’ll describe it to you. 15 looks smooth. 60 looks smooth. They both look the same.

How can 15 look smooth? That doesn’t make any sense!?!?

One of my switch controllers has started acting up - it’s not drift (already had one fixed for that) but when you try and move the stick right it doesn’t respond or you have to have a few tries to get it to work. Calibrating doesn’t help. 
Anyone had this? And if so could it be fixed or is it screwed? Ta 

21 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Is Super Lucky’s Tale any good as an N64-style platformer? Seeing as you can now get it for tenner for a code in a box.

It doesn't really play like an N64 era platformer. If that's what you're after along with all the obtuseness and frustration of games of that era Yooka-Laylee is the game for you. Anyhow, yes it's a good, polished if rather unexciting game, well worth 10 quid in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, scottcr said:

How can 15 look smooth? That doesn’t make any sense!?!?

Not all the time. In some of the tests you lot made me do a while back.