Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

That's the best thing about it possibly. 

I meant discounted versions of existing titles ala the range for 3DS rather than them selling half-a-decade old games for £45 a pop.

Looking forward to having an Nvidia Shield powerful enough to run Dolphin in 4K so I can load up Twin Snakes for ten minutes or so and then not bother touching it again. 

3 minutes ago, Halo said:

I meant discounted versions of existing titles ala the 3DS rather than them selling half-a-decade old games for £45 a pop.

That;'s exactly what I was talking about. No need for new versions of games, a possible Switch Pro could run games that run at a dynamic resolution like Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 and keep them at native res for the entire playthrough. With a simple added patch, the Switch version of the Witcher 3  can be brought into line with the other versions and run at an even better framerate then the PS4/Xbone versions.

27 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

That;'s exactly what I was talking about. No need for new versions of games, a possible Switch Pro could run games that run at a dynamic resolution like Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 and keep them at native res for the entire playthrough. With a simple added patch, the Switch version of the Witcher 3  can be brought into line with the other versions and run at an even better framerate then the PS4/Xbone versions.

Why would they do that, when they can sell you the exact same game again?

Good thing about a switch pro is that switch lites will just drop in price. 

Im tempted to pick up a switch light in the future just for the new Metroid Prime. 

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

I've been following the Resetera thread on the Switch Pro and if the speculation and some inside info is correct. You'll be more then happy with what's been cooking.

Hide contents

-Xbox One S in terms of raw performance in docked mode.

-DLSS included due to multiple tensor cores in the system.

-New SoC being used which allows for far more modern features then the base PS4/Xbone and even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Apparently, the device that's currently rumoured could actually run certain PS4 and Xbone games better then the PS4 Pro and the One X.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 hour ago, lankysanchez said:

Aargh, so we have a Lite and just ordered a Switch for my birthday. I should cancel it and wait for this Pro version, yes? 

Nah enjoy it now we have no idea when this thing is due. 

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

I've been following the Resetera thread on the Switch Pro and if the speculation and some inside info is correct. You'll be more then happy with what's been cooking.

Hide contents

-Xbox One S in terms of raw performance in docked mode.

-DLSS included due to multiple tensor cores in the system.

-New SoC being used which allows for far more modern features then the base PS4/Xbone and even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Apparently, the device that's currently rumoured could actually run certain PS4 and Xbone games better then the PS4 Pro and the One X.

The Series S uses 100W when playing games, which it then dissipates as heat with its massive fan. The current Switch’s poky cooler dissipates 10W. I know ARM is more efficient but I doubt it’s going to be an order of magnitude leaner than an x86 console with equivalent graphics performance.

It's kind of funny how with each hardware iteration, everyone expects Nintendo to finally get its specs up to scratch. They won't. They never have. They never will.

It'll be 4K on the cheap. I'm even doubting they'd go for native 4K; could be 1440p upscaled to 4K or something similar at best.

Just enough grunt to get BOTW to run more smoothly please. I picked it up again last night and my god the slowdown and low framerate are terrible. Worth it but terrible.

30 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The Series S uses 100W when playing games, which it then dissipates as heat with its massive fan. The current Switch’s poky cooler dissipates 10W. I know ARM is more efficient but I doubt it’s going to be an order of magnitude leaner than an x86 console with equivalent graphics performance.

Xbox One S he said though.

31 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Read that again, I said the the Xbox One S. Not the Series S. The idea of Nintendo making a full two generational leap with a hardware revision is laughable. Nevertheless, The Xbox One S is what the revision seems to be capable of.

27 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It's kind of funny how with each hardware iteration, everyone expects Nintendo to finally get its specs up to scratch. They won't. They never have. They never will.

It'll be 4K on the cheap. I'm even doubting they'd go for native 4K; could be 1440p upscaled to 4K or something similar at best.

DLSS would essentialy amount to 4K on the cheap. There's videos on youtube that shows games like Death Stranding being upscaled from 240p all the way to 720p. Nvidea has shown of footage that upscales 720p all the way to 4K.

True, but Nvidea and Nintendo have had some sort of partnership for the past few years that would lock them down with Nintendo for the forseeable future. I'd imagine having acces to features such as this is what made it attractive for Nintendo in the first place.

51 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Look at the Nvidia Xavier and Orin SoCs.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Nah enjoy it now we have no idea when this thing is due. 

We have no idea if this thing is even planned, let alone when it is due.

I still think the best solution would be a Pro Dock with added brains, but I don't know whether the Switch design supports that kind of expansion.

I have no intention to get a 4K TV until I'm forced to, but it would be nice to be able to run through Torigoth in Xenoblade 2 without the shadow of the windmill slowing the game to a crawl.

12 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I still think the best solution would be a Pro Dock with added brains, but I don't know whether the Switch design supports that kind of expansion.

It doesn’t to the best of my knowledge. Docking it just unlocks a higher cpu speed. This Pro model might do it but that seems unlikely

So okay, it’s a console that’s supposed to be as powerful as the Xbox One S but it plays games better than the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro? Even with DLSS I’m sceptical.

On 16/02/2021 at 17:12, smac said:

[Someone suggested Splatoon 3 would be announced in the previous Direct]

Nah. Not until we get Switch Mk 2 (the SwIItchening)...

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Nintendo Swiitch?

:quote:

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

What you also have to consider is that if they’re releasing it this year, or even the next financial year, it’s going to release side by side with Breath of The Wild 2 or Mario Kart 9, or both. 

This explains why Splatoon 3 was announced, per my original post. S3 is a system seller; announcing it without an upgraded machine seemed odd. This is just the other shoe dropping (to prove my point!)

33 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

So okay, it’s a console that’s supposed to be as powerful as the Xbox One S but it plays games better than the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro? Even with DLSS I’m sceptical.

Harmgms post did say certain games, not all games. For something like Xcom or Civilization that hits the CPU hard then a modernish ARM processor offering better performance than an 8 year laptop processor that wasn't all that great when it came out seems at least plausible. 

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

I just want something that will play Age of Calamity and Bowser's Fury at a stable framerate.

Would you like to borrow my Switch?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

We have no idea if this thing is even planned, let alone when it is due.

True, it’s just an intelligent estimate really based on the life cycle of Nintendo’s consoles and upgrades previously, so it’s unlikely there won’t be an upgraded model in the next financial year just based on that alone. I’m sure they’ll try and get it out this year in time for Christmas, but at latest by Mar 2022.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Would you like to borrow my Switch?

Dude yours is louder than a washing machine according to you (you must be the only person who doesn’t own a near silent Switch) don’t be trying to palm it off ;)