Nintendo Switch

It'll be four and a half years old by the time this launches, upgrading the silicon to something that's being mass produced for modern 4K streaming boxes might be less expensive than continuing to use such old components.

720p seems like a sensible choice for handheld over 1080 or whatever. Battery life is way more important than marginal improvements in resolution. 

I can’t wait to play the new F-Zero on this thing. 

It’s another handheld with DAT screen, of course we’re all going to buy one.

(I got out the Vita the other day, and it feels absolutely minuscule now.)

42 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

And I will play it exclusively in handheld mode at 720p. 

For most people that OLED screen will probably have better contrast and colour reproduction than their actual TV.

IFGO

If it actually exists. My current Switch fan when playing AC is louder than my washing machine so I've been considering a new one anyway.

What you also have to consider is that if they’re releasing it this year, or even the next financial year, it’s going to release side by side with Breath of The Wild 2 or Mario Kart 9, or both. 

As per Jamie John's recent thread, I am definitely ready for an upgraded Switch. When stuff like Link's Awakening and Calamity Warriors ran too poorly for me to play, having spent a hundred quid on them, my interest began to wane. Likewise, Monster Hunter Rise will no doubt be a brilliant game hampered by performance issues. Playing Bowser's Fury in handheld recently was like stepping back in time. Mario at 30fps? Even BotW, at launch, strained the hardware. 

Some people might not be bothered or sensitive or aware or whatever vernacular suits your perspective, but I want a Switch that can make the most of the next Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Xenoblade, not peg them back.

16 minutes ago, Marlew said:

As per Jamie John's recent thread, I am definitely ready for an upgraded Switch. When stuff like Link's Awakening and Calamity Warriors ran too poorly for me to play, having spent a hundred quid on them, my interest began to wane. Likewise, Monster Hunter Rise will no doubt be a brilliant game hampered by performance issues. Playing Bowser's Fury in handheld recently was like stepping back in time. Mario at 30fps? Even BotW, at launch, strained the hardware. 

Some people might not be bothered or sensitive or aware or whatever vernacular suits your perspective, but I want a Switch that can make the most of the next Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Xenoblade, not peg them back.

I've been following the Resetera thread on the Switch Pro and if the speculation and some inside info is correct. You'll be more then happy with what's been cooking.

Spoiler

-Xbox One S in terms of raw performance in docked mode.

-DLSS included due to multiple tensor cores in the system.

-New SoC being used which allows for far more modern features then the base PS4/Xbone and even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Apparently, the device that's currently rumoured could actually run certain PS4 and Xbone games better then the PS4 Pro and the One X.

3 minutes ago, Halo said:

I hope they finally release Selects versions  of games to go with the new console.

That's the best thing about it possibly. Certain games can already run better without any new versions having to be released. And with DLSS, developers could send out a simple update to take advantage of the feature at no additional cost. Nioh 2 recently got a patch that allowed for DLSS on PC for example.

I think I'll sell my current one as soon as this is officially announced and then be Switchless for a while until it's released. Apart from 3D World, I haven't really played anything on it since Animal Crossing. I'm not too bothered about 4k, but better performance and locked 60fps as standard on already-released and future games would be excellent.