Nintendo Switch

I’d recommend giving it a go. The contact cleaner thing never really worked for me. Once you’ve done it you’ll wonder why you lived with drift for so long.

I hear the PS5 pad is susceptible too. What is going on? Is it planned obsolescence?

12 minutes ago, Beezer said:

I’d recommend giving it a go. The contact cleaner thing never really worked for me. Once you’ve done it you’ll wonder why you lived with drift for so long.

I hear the PS5 pad is susceptible too. What is going on? Is it planned obsolescence?

Just ordered some sticks — would be nice to stop the kids arguing over who gets the crappy joycon!

I’ve heard lots of issues with ps5 controllers but mine are okay so far... early days!

13 hours ago, Beezer said:

- Have a look at the iFixit guide. It’s not too bad. The hardest bit is sliding the tiny connectors into the ports. The parts are pretty small so it needs a bit of dexterity.

I'd recommend getting some tweezers - it makes it much easier

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OriGlam-Precision-Anti-Static-Non-Magnetic-Electronics/dp/B07YFYZP75/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=electronics+tweezers&qid=1613817319&sr=8-5

I swapped the shells on my joycons which basically involves completely dismantling them. I managed it and I'm completely cackhanded!

I've replaced the stick in 3 joycons - only the first time did I balls it up. It's fiddly but pretty straight forward if you take your time. My biggest issue is the screws Nintendo use have a plastic/rubber coating on and it can be hard to get a good grip on them. 

Having bought a PS4 at Xmas (for the kids, ahem), it made me realise just how much I’d been putting up with crappy controls on the switch since I bought the launch machine. 

Disconnection issues since I got it, drift, and the A button needs to be really firmly pressed down (and has done for a year). I realise just how much all that eats into my immersion in Switch games. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought, but goddamn just make controllers that work. 

19 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Having bought a PS4 at Xmas (for the kids, ahem), it made me realise just how much I’d been putting up with crappy controls on the switch since I bought the launch machine. 

Disconnection issues since I got it, drift, and the A button needs to be really firmly pressed down (and has done for a year). I realise just how much all that eats into my immersion in Switch games. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought, but goddamn just make controllers that work. 

Yours sound really broken. You probably should really get them fixed or replaced!

6 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Being of the generation that learned to game with a single stick and single button (vcs, cpc, st) the move to consoles was significantly impacted by controller design, ergonomics and performance.

I persevered with one poor controller (jaguar) but after the n64 controllers perfection just couldn't engage with either the dreamcast or PlayStations poor controllers.

It's an amazing turn of events for me to now find myself gaming using 3rd party controllers in preference to the original nintendo joycons and pad pro. Nintendo's  peripheral QC have right royally ballsed up would suggest you ditch yours for some cheap alternatives, you won't regret it.

7 hours ago, Twinbee said:

My joycons have never given any issues but I just bought 2 pro’s any they seem extremely durable. Almost exclusive used by my 5 and 9 year old and given little respect tbh. 
I know they’re pricy but really do transform your enjoyment - as a decent 3rd would too I guess. 

Yeah I’ve been meaning to send off the joycons pretty much a month after buying the console, but we were all hooked on BOTW. They’re off to the post office tomorrow. 

We bought a cheapie knock off pro controller that is pretty much broken now (left stick doesn’t spring back to the middle, and can’t be clicked). We have one other knock off ugly thing that seems to be holding up for now, but an official Pro controller might be the next step. Dammit. 

The joycon stick surgery took place and both patients recovering well. 

The only bit I thought was fiddly was getting the battery connected again. 

The kit I got also included a couple of metal locking latches so put those in my favourite pair too. 

Now to see how they hold up when the kids put them through their paces!

Had my Beboncool controller for around a year now, much prefer it to either the joycons or the pro controller.......I do miss my old Wii pads though would love to be able to plug those into the switch.

24 minutes ago, Meatball said:

My mate is after a Switch and someone we knows might be selling one. What’s the consensus, ok deal?

Seems rather steep for me. How old is it, still under warranty?

You could get a new one for £280 at shopto

https://www.shopto.net/en/switch-consoles/?utm_source=Website&utm_campaign=Super Mario 3D All Stars Switch XL

Mario Kart and Luigis mansion are nice, rest are a bit meh.

10 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Seems rather steep for me. How old is it, still under warranty?
You could get a new one for £340 or with mario world for 380

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Monster-Hunter-Rise/dp/B08VB5WSTM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QFPXAOKN87VC&keywords=nintendo%2Bswitch&qid=1614011205&sprefix=nintendo%2B%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-1&th=1

Mario Kart and Luigis mansion are nice, rest are a bit meh.

Quick look at AV forums show plenty under £290 such as: Mario Red & Blue Limited Edition Switch Console NEW - £290

Bought in Sept he says so should be the v.2 model I’d think and still got some warranty left. 

Way overpriced that - you can’t sell your account, I mean you can but it’s still your name and a bit dodgy, I wouldn’t do it. So it’s basically a Switch with MKD and a couple of others not really worth much - I’d offer £250 tops. 

7 hours ago, Meatball said:

My mate is after a Switch and someone we knows might be selling one. What’s the consensus, ok deal?

72928F73-755C-429A-A89F-D0FB7E26FE23.thumb.jpeg.c4046b2f4e1cd23a31273becb546ab85.jpeg

Most of those games apart from mario kart and Luigi are shit. The digital ones are worth next to nothing.

Better off buying a new one or offer him £200